High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Viewing Mediums, HDTVs > Flat-Panel TVs
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Flat-Panel TVs Plasma, LCD RSS - Flat-Panel TVs

Like Tree1Likes

Panasonic Blinking Power light of Death

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #121
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1
Default

@Macinman

Hi bud, If I've read the service manuals correctly I think the display drive board is part of the power up sequence feedback loop to the main power board, if the power feedback fails at any point along the line the main power board and the A board interpret that to be a power failure and forces a 10 blink as the primary fault.

I am a bit preplexed by the reference they gave you about the "H" board. I thought Panasonic had dropped the individual board and combined it in the new "A" board. Ah well, doesnt really matter.
BDX707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #122
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDX707 View Post
@Macinman

Hi bud, If I've read the service manuals correctly I think the display drive board is part of the power up sequence feedback loop to the main power board, if the power feedback fails at any point along the line the main power board and the A board interpret that to be a power failure and forces a 10 blink as the primary fault.

I am a bit preplexed by the reference they gave you about the "H" board. I thought Panasonic had dropped the individual board and combined it in the new "A" board. Ah well, doesnt really matter.
Well the one board i'm sure was the display drive board, the other one was a medium sized board right next to the display drive board, it had a few caps on the edge and about 3 or 4, maybe 5 heat sinks which were about maybe 3 to 5 inches each. Like i said my TV is a 2009 model. I still think it's bad caps blowing in the case of power, wouldn't a do it yourself using higher rated caps do the trick? I know in many cases this fixes samsung lcds according to youtube videos and other sources, Is the plasma failure different?. By the way, I didn't take an extended warranty on this set, the only products I buy an extended warranty on are, Macs. I have been doing business with Apple for years, and trust their service, Stores Like best buy I hear mixed stories about, so i felt it wise not to buy to prevent a rip off. Anyway in my case, it's very possible the bad solder job finally gave out and shorted something out. Well, even apple has had problems with macs in recent years, and They've always made solid products, Whatever happened to the US making it's own parts?
MacinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #123
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 60
Default

Hey guys, I could use some help here if people still read this thread on a regular basis. It seems like in the complete dark, I can see a very faint overall glow from the plasma screen itself when the image is bright and the darks are dark, black looks ink black as well as the side bars, either pillar for 4:3 or letterbox for widescreen outside of 16:9. is it normal for plasma screens to give off a faint glow of their own? even with no picture on screen? this is the one which had the repair done, As far as I remember though, the screen always emitted some kind of light when on though, with or without a signal.

My brightness and contrast settings are as follows:

contrast 85
brightness 67
mode :cinema
color temp warm
color 30
sharpness 0
tint 8

The brightness and contrast are set according to the AVSHD calibration disc, so the correct range blink, for both white and black. The color and tint, sharpness are modifications of offsets I found on AVS forum for the S1 series I used the service menu offsets and the other settings to help calibrate the set. Overall, the colors and contrast look great! though SD content looks slightly washed out, compared to HD which looks excellent. and it depends on the SD source as well, some look just fine. Any thoughts? thanks.

BTW, this is a TC-P42U1, I don't have the space for a higher end plasma nor did i have the budget, so i know the smaller ones don't have as deep a contrast. Maybe in a dark room that's more noticeable.
MacinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #124
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3
Default Any pointers please

Any pointers please

Quote:
Originally Posted by laptimus View Post
Hello

I bought my Panasonic TH-46PZ80U A from Best Buy back in Jan 2009.

It has blink problem and refuse to start. This started happening couple days ago.

Once started it blinks twice and then pause then blink twice and then pause and so on.

Just called panasonic tech support and they asked me to hold power button for 10 sec. After leaving the button it now blink 10 times and pause and so on.

But when reseting again it goes back to 2 blinks.

This is well spread issue after reading so many posts about it.

Can anyone help me to find faulty part so I can repair it home.

Thanks in advance
laptimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:00 AM   #125
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3
Default Any luck with repairs

Hi Iceman

I have exactly same problem with TH-46PZ80U model.

Were you able to get it repaired ?

thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman77 View Post
I have the Panasonic TH-50PZ85U plasma TV and all of a sudden my TV didn't turn on and it started with 2 blinks. Then I tried to reset by holding in the power button and at that point it went to the feared 10 blinks.

I have to say I am shocked this has happened. I bought this in March of 2009 and only 13 months later it's toast????? Disgraceful if you ask me. My JVC tube TV thats 7 years old and was a floor model is as good as new still. Also, my brother and Father both have different models of Samsung LCD's and have had theirs for 2 plus years with no problems at all. Does Panasonic really think a $2,000.00 TV should only last a little over a year??? I guess so by their "it's out of warranty" stance on this issue.

Does anyone know which is the correct board to replace?

As for you LOSERS out there that just want to stroke Panasonic about how great they are, do not need to respond to this. This is obviously a major problem since one guy on here stated it happened to himself and 2 other people he knew. THAT DOESN'T SEEM TOO RARE TO ME!!! Let's also not forget the almighty Toyota. Just because you refuse to acknowledge the issue does not mean it doesn't exist. All I can say is maybe the accelerator pedals on those Toyotas are made by Panasonic. They both seem as reliable.

With that said, I will never buy a Panasonic again! I have never had a problem with any of my Philips items I have owned, so maybe I'll check them out, or just buy a Samsung LCD since they worked this long for my family.
laptimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #126
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Hey guys, I could use some help here if people still read this thread on a regular basis. It seems like in the complete dark, I can see a very faint overall glow from the plasma screen itself when the image is bright and the darks are dark, black looks ink black as well as the side bars, either pillar for 4:3 or letterbox for widescreen outside of 16:9. is it normal for plasma screens to give off a faint glow of their own? even with no picture on screen? this is the one which had the repair done, As far as I remember though, the screen always emitted some kind of light when on though, with or without a signal.

My brightness and contrast settings are as follows:

contrast 85
brightness 67
mode :cinema
color temp warm
color 30
sharpness 0
tint 8

The brightness and contrast are set according to the AVSHD calibration disc, so the correct range blink, for both white and black. The color and tint, sharpness are modifications of offsets I found on AVS forum for the S1 series I used the service menu offsets and the other settings to help calibrate the set. Overall, the colors and contrast look great! though SD content looks slightly washed out, compared to HD which looks excellent. and it depends on the SD source as well, some look just fine. Any thoughts? thanks.

BTW, this is a TC-P42U1, I don't have the space for a higher end plasma nor did i have the budget, so i know the smaller ones don't have as deep a contrast. Maybe in a dark room that's more noticeable.
The pre-charge glow is normal. You could improve this by lowering your brightness setting which is named wrong and is actually for adjusting the black levels. Your setting seems too high by quite a bit. Also, sharpness should be set to 50 on Panasonic TVs since the 2008 models. That center position is the neutral position on them and putting it at zero (although correct for other brands) will actually add blurriness to the source material.
__________________
Denon AVR-887
Klipsch RP-5 Pwred Towers (mains) (525 watts peak each 12"Subs)
All Klipsch RC-25(ctr),(2)SS1(surr),(2)SS1(rearSurr)
Toshiba (2)HD-A20,PS3,BD35
For SACD/DVD-A Samsung HD-841
Panny 50pz80u plasma
SETTINGS
RCA HD50LPW162 50"DLP w/HD2+
SA 3250HD
47" LCD+Yamaha5790+HD-A1(bedroom)
Harmony 680 + (2) 670s (amazing remote/support)
Game room with Onkyo receiver & B&W Speakers
The_Cable_Game
Take the high ground and be happier
PSN: PFC5
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #127
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
Default

Hello I need some help.. Yesterday my Panasonic 42in HDTV (TH-42PX60U) I purchased 3 years ago made a popping sound with Blinking Power light of Death.. It blinks 7 times.. Did some research.. Can someone tell me what the information below means?

7 blinks Driver SOS 2 SU / SD / SS Boards
(SC floating voltage area)

Not sure what SC floating voltage area means but the rest I'm guessing it means it could be one of 3 boards.. So if I purchase all three SU/SD/SS Boards should that fix my problem?

SD BOARD TNPA3819
SU BOARD TNPA3818
SS BOARD TNPA3815

Thanks..
Drewdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #128
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdeluxe View Post
Hello I need some help.. Yesterday my Panasonic 42in HDTV (TH-42PX60U) I purchased 3 years ago made a popping sound with Blinking Power light of Death.. It blinks 7 times.. Did some research.. Can someone tell me what the information below means?

7 blinks Driver SOS 2 SU / SD / SS Boards
(SC floating voltage area)

Not sure what SC floating voltage area means but the rest I'm guessing it means it could be one of 3 boards.. So if I purchase all three SU/SD/SS Boards should that fix my problem?

SD BOARD TNPA3819
SU BOARD TNPA3818
SS BOARD TNPA3815

Thanks..
I would say, Honestly after 3 years of use, the cost of the three boards would probably cost about the same as a model that's newer, since all the older panasonic models seem to have come down in price. Buying the boards would most likely fix the issue but chances are you could get a newer model with more features for about the same price or maybe a little more then repairing that TV.

The other question is, are you covered by any sort of extended warranty? if so then it would be a free repair, if not, then I'd consider a new tv. Especially if the cost of the boards is the same or more as a whole new TV would be.
MacinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #129
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
I would say, Honestly after 3 years of use, the cost of the three boards would probably cost about the same as a model that's newer, since all the older panasonic models seem to have come down in price. Buying the boards would most likely fix the issue but chances are you could get a newer model with more features for about the same price or maybe a little more then repairing that TV.

The other question is, are you covered by any sort of extended warranty? if so then it would be a free repair, if not, then I'd consider a new tv. Especially if the cost of the boards is the same or more as a whole new TV would be.
I checked on eBay and the boards run about $25 each.. So I'd be risking $75 of part to hopfully fix it.. I'm just not sure if it's one of the three boards..
Drewdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:49 AM   #130
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdeluxe View Post
I checked on eBay and the boards run about $25 each.. So I'd be risking $75 of part to hopfully fix it.. I'm just not sure if it's one of the three boards..
That's not a bad deal at all. I know from experience that my TC-P42U1 blew two boards after 4 months of use. It was still under warranty from panasonic though. I was able to have the geek squad fix it under warranty though without problems. The price i was quoted for the boards outside of warranty I would have had to pay was $600 or $700 whereas the tv cost me $750. As to date, the TV has been fine. I had the 10 blinks.

One thing I did to ensure it wasn't a surge the first time was to run my home theater power strip through my ups which has a line conditioner, on all 8 ports.

It appears to me, based on what I've read, the model you have was plagued with bad parts quite a bit. The interesting thing is though, yours took 3 years to show whereas most cases were like mine within the first year of warranty, or right after the warranty expired. I'd say you have a 95% chance of the board replacement correcting the problem.
MacinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #131
TV & Internet Installer
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
Default TH-42PZ85U - 10 Blinks

Bought this Panasonic TV around Dec 2008 which makes it about 20 Months old. I contacted AudioToyz where I bought the TV and they were familiar with the problem, but suggested I go straight to Panasonic as they were hesitant to get involved. The tech I spoke to at AudioToyz was telling me it would likely cost 300 to 600 dollars if I persued a repair. I bought the TV for ~1200 plus tax. To go less than 2 years and have to pay again is ridiculous. My last 2 Sony TV's lasted over 20 years each.

If any Panasonic fanboys come on here and tell me this is not a widespread problem, they are deluded.
Nectaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #132
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nectaris View Post
Bought this Panasonic TV around Dec 2008 which makes it about 20 Months old. I contacted AudioToyz where I bought the TV and they were familiar with the problem, but suggested I go straight to Panasonic as they were hesitant to get involved. The tech I spoke to at AudioToyz was telling me it would likely cost 300 to 600 dollars if I persued a repair. I bought the TV for ~1200 plus tax. To go less than 2 years and have to pay again is ridiculous. My last 2 Sony TV's lasted over 20 years each.

If any Panasonic fanboys come on here and tell me this is not a widespread problem, they are deluded.
It is a problem, but no more than the other brands/mfgs. I think Panasonic should help you out with this and they might if you approach it the right way. No expensive HDTV should only last 2 years, and I would tell them that if they did only last 2 years people would stop buying them completely.

I love my Panasonic plasma model 50pz80U and have had no issues and I have about 8,000+ hours on mine by now. Unfortunately even the highest rated reliability brand (Panasonic) has their share of problem displays. It comes with mass production unfortunately, and no company is immune to some bad sets. Samsung has had capacitors go, and many other issues and the same goes for Sony also. All these Japanese brands are now making them in CHina and quality is not going to be the same as they were back in the day when they were made in Japan.

Good luck with your issue and don't forget to mention this thread and that you are a forum member in a nonchalant way so it is not like a threat, but as an added inducement for them to help you out. ALways remain calm, and ask to speak to a level two service person and keep going up the ladder until you get someone who can help solve this at a more reasonable cost to you.

Good luck!
__________________
Denon AVR-887
Klipsch RP-5 Pwred Towers (mains) (525 watts peak each 12"Subs)
All Klipsch RC-25(ctr),(2)SS1(surr),(2)SS1(rearSurr)
Toshiba (2)HD-A20,PS3,BD35
For SACD/DVD-A Samsung HD-841
Panny 50pz80u plasma
SETTINGS
RCA HD50LPW162 50"DLP w/HD2+
SA 3250HD
47" LCD+Yamaha5790+HD-A1(bedroom)
Harmony 680 + (2) 670s (amazing remote/support)
Game room with Onkyo receiver & B&W Speakers
The_Cable_Game
Take the high ground and be happier
PSN: PFC5
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #133
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nectaris View Post
Bought this Panasonic TV around Dec 2008 which makes it about 20 Months old. I contacted AudioToyz where I bought the TV and they were familiar with the problem, but suggested I go straight to Panasonic as they were hesitant to get involved. The tech I spoke to at AudioToyz was telling me it would likely cost 300 to 600 dollars if I persued a repair. I bought the TV for ~1200 plus tax. To go less than 2 years and have to pay again is ridiculous. My last 2 Sony TV's lasted over 20 years each.

If any Panasonic fanboys come on here and tell me this is not a widespread problem, they are deluded.
I'm just going to say that while it happens with newer tvs, it seems like it happens most with the older models and there have been references to many cases of it happening within the warranty period and therefore the repair costing the the customer nothing.

I have the tc-p42u1 and it had to be repaired under warranty for 10 blinks and two boards blown. thankfully it was repaired and now is working fine. I've said this before, I've had a few products fail quality control from the factory, but once repaired they've been fine. I expect the tv to be no exception. I personally think the cases after 2 or 3 years are exceptional for defective parts and while it sucks to be out of warranty at least you got 2 to 3 years from it.

I personally expect any electronic device to fail at any given point at least the chance. If you don't you're not going into the purchases realistically especially today with so many imports and lower quality control.

Last edited by MacinMan; 08-18-2010 at 06:52 PM..
MacinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #134
TV & Internet Installer
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
Default

We'll see if Panasonic replies to my request for assistance. However, if I am unable to get the issue fixed for a reasonable cost, I will simply recycle the TV and buy a cheap RCA 42" TV for $499 from Newegg with the expectation that it will last a year or two. I bought 2 cheap AOC LCD TV's from Newegg for Christmas 2008 for $440 each to be used for PC monitors and so far I've been quite happy with them. I didn't need anything fancy. I am currently using one of them as my replacement for the Panasonic. The reason I bought the Panasonic to begin with was because of the expectation of quality and experience that people told me about at the time I made the purchase. Unfortunately, every 4 hours or so the screen would go black for 1 second, and the refresh rate on the screen wasn't quite what was expected, resulting in jerky pan shots during movies, especially during night scenes.
Nectaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #135
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

It sounds like you had a defective set from the beginning. Didn't you think it odd that the screen would go black like that? That is not normal. Too bad you didn't look into that problem as it could be related to the issue now. I think it was an early warning sign that something wasn't right, and it is too bad you didn't pursue this issue while it was under warranty.
__________________
Denon AVR-887
Klipsch RP-5 Pwred Towers (mains) (525 watts peak each 12"Subs)
All Klipsch RC-25(ctr),(2)SS1(surr),(2)SS1(rearSurr)
Toshiba (2)HD-A20,PS3,BD35
For SACD/DVD-A Samsung HD-841
Panny 50pz80u plasma
SETTINGS
RCA HD50LPW162 50"DLP w/HD2+
SA 3250HD
47" LCD+Yamaha5790+HD-A1(bedroom)
Harmony 680 + (2) 670s (amazing remote/support)
Game room with Onkyo receiver & B&W Speakers
The_Cable_Game
Take the high ground and be happier
PSN: PFC5
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Viewing Mediums, HDTVs > Flat-Panel TVs
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads to Panasonic Blinking Power light of Death
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samsung vs Panasonic vs Toshiba mavrick0010 Rear-Projection TVs 15 10-05-2011 11:31 PM
Choosing a 37 inch display miketv Flat-Panel TVs 40 08-23-2005 04:19 PM
New Panny 42PD50U vs. 42PD25UP - reviews? Sparta Boy Flat-Panel TVs 51 04-25-2005 10:48 PM
New Panny 42PD25UP vs. 42PD50U -price worth it? Skankin56 Flat-Panel TVs 15 04-17-2005 10:57 PM
Panasonic CT 30WX54 zeke767 Direct-View (tube) TVs 0 03-16-2005 01:18 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:53 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright ©2004 - 2008, High Def Forum