High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Flat-Panel TVs Plasma, LCD

Thinking about buying Sony KDL-32XBR4

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 11:02 PM   #1  
What is HD?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4
Default Thinking about buying Sony KDL-32XBR4

I have Charter Cable, basic + extended basic (channels 2-99).

I don't want to have to get an external box in order to see the few HD programs they now broadcast on these lower channels.

Does the Sony Model Number: KDL-32XBR4 have the electronics built in to duplicate the functions of the external box? In other words, I just want to plug the cable into the back of the TV and go!

I have read the specs for this model but have no idea what to look for in their verbage.

What does "1080/24p input capable" mean????

Also, does this model have a insert box on the screen that tells you what resolution the channel is at? 720 or 1080??? I've seen some models that show this info in the top right hand corner for a few seconds.
planewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:41 PM   #2  
Sony KD34XS955
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pointe-Claire QC
Posts: 2,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by planewood View Post
I have Charter Cable, basic + extended basic (channels 2-99).

I don't want to have to get an external box in order to see the few HD programs they now broadcast on these lower channels.

Does the Sony Model Number: KDL-32XBR4 have the electronics built in to duplicate the functions of the external box? In other words, I just want to plug the cable into the back of the TV and go!

I have read the specs for this model but have no idea what to look for in their verbage.

What does "1080/24p input capable" mean????

Also, does this model have a insert box on the screen that tells you what resolution the channel is at? 720 or 1080??? I've seen some models that show this info in the top right hand corner for a few seconds.
The KDL-32XBR4 has a built-in QAM tuner which allows it to receive any unencrypted digital channels that your cable provider includes in its basic service, simply by plugging the cable from the wall into the TV without using a cable box. These will normally be your local stations.

It does not have a CableCard slot, so you would need an external cable box to receive any encrypted cable channels.

1080p/24 input capable means it can accept a a 1080p signal (resolution = 1920 x 1080) that has been sent to it at a rate of 24 frames per second and effectively display it at that rate because the TV's screen refresh rate of 120hz is an exact multiple of 24 fps. This eliminates the "judder" that is introduced by the 3:2 puldown process that is normally used to convert content that has been shot at 24 fps to 30 fps for display on TVs. It accepts 1080p/24 via its HDMI input. At present the only sources of 1080p/24 content are movies on HD DVD and BluRay discs. However, although it can properly handle 1080/24p content the TV will downscale the signal to 1366 x 768 before display it because that is the resolution of the TV's screen.
BrianO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #3  
What is HD?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianO View Post
The KDL-32XBR4 has a built-in QAM tuner which allows it to receive any unencrypted digital channels that your cable provider includes in its basic service, simply by plugging the cable from the wall into the TV without using a cable box. These will normally be your local stations.

It does not have a CableCard slot, so you would need an external cable box to receive any encrypted cable channels.

1080p/24 input capable means it can accept a a 1080p signal (resolution = 1920 x 1080) that has been sent to it at a rate of 24 frames per second and effectively display it at that rate because the TV's screen refresh rate of 120hz is an exact multiple of 24 fps. This eliminates the "judder" that is introduced by the 3:2 puldown process that is normally used to convert content that has been shot at 24 fps to 30 fps for display on TVs. It accepts 1080p/24 via its HDMI input. At present the only sources of 1080p/24 content are movies on HD DVD and BluRay discs. However, although it can properly handle 1080/24p content the TV will downscale the signal to 1366 x 768 before display it because that is the resolution of the TV's screen.
Thanks Brian. I guess right now I don't have any digital channels?? So I guess the first thing would be to upgrade my cable service to Digital?? But if I did that, then would my old TV's work? If I did such an upgrade, would all of channels 2-99 then be digital? No channels are encripted with my current subscription level.

Are there any manufacturers that make a 32" HDTV with a true 1080 resolution and a built in QTAM tuner?
planewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:02 PM   #4  
Sony KD34XS955
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pointe-Claire QC
Posts: 2,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by planewood View Post
Thanks Brian. I guess right now I don't have any digital channels?? So I guess the first thing would be to upgrade my cable service to Digital?? But if I did that, then would my old TV's work? If I did such an upgrade, would all of channels 2-99 then be digital? No channels are encripted with my current subscription level.

Are there any manufacturers that make a 32" HDTV with a true 1080 resolution and a built in QTAM tuner?
Don't upgrade. While there might be some cable companies that use separate cables for analogue and digital, where I live analogue and digital are carried on the same cable. Simply plug the cable into the TV set and scan for digital channels. If they are there, any TV with a QAM tuner will receive them. Just make sure you connect the cable to the correct RF input on the TV if it has more than one. The TV's manual will describe the procedure.

I don't know of any 32" LCD sets with 1920 x 1080 screens. (Perhaps other members might be aware of some). You'll probably need to get a 40".
BrianO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #5  
Supporter of HiDef
 
Bravestime's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aiken, SC
Age: 63
Posts: 4,510
Default

I have the 46XBR2 and speaking of the PQ I would have to say I am very pleased with it. I have had this monitor for 8 months and so far trouble free. The PQ is awesome with HD dvds.

I feel you will enjoy your in this monitor.

Good Luck!
Bravestime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #6  
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1
Default

I have the 32'' xbr4 and I love it, it's a great tv . I'm with Cablevision and I use a STB, and also split direct to the tv . With the direct hook up I only receive the lower HD channels, CBS, NBC, ABC, ect. No Voom, Discovery HD, ect. Hope this helps. You can't go wrong with this tv. I paid $1100.00 at PC Richard in NY.
joedag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #7  
A couch and an HDTV to go please.
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 12
Default

I believe Sharp is the only manufacturer to make a 1080p 32"
Lawsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:22 PM   #8  
Sony KD34XS955
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pointe-Claire QC
Posts: 2,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawsman View Post
I believe Sharp is the only manufacturer to make a 1080p 32"
Thanks for the info about Sharp.
BrianO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:55 AM   #9  
Hux
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6
Default Sony KDL-32XBR4

I have a 32XBR4 and it is great. The room is small and a 40" would have been overpowering. Everything I have read says you don't need to pay up for 1080p at 32" because you will never know the difference between a 1080p or 1080i and a 768p. But you have to start from how close you sit. For me, in a small room, 32" is fine but I am looking at 40+ for my living room and would probably get 1080p then.
Hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Thinking about buying Sony KDL-32XBR4
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony KDL 46S2000 vs Sony KDL 46S2010 LaTrooper Flat-Panel TVs 1 11-22-2006 01:18 AM
Sony KDL V40XBR1 pacca Flat-Panel TVs 1 10-06-2006 11:10 PM
Help buying a USED Sony KDF-E42A10 42" roadsterdoc Rear-Projection TVs 5 06-16-2006 08:54 PM
My Buying Experience - Sony KDF-55wf655 dalau955 Rear-Projection TVs 5 12-08-2004 08:55 PM
Tough Decision: Hitachi 51f510 vs. Sony KP51WS520 BrooklynZ Rear-Projection TVs 4 09-29-2004 10:14 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:27 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands