High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Flat-Panel TVs Plasma, LCD

Like Tree3Likes

Panasonic Plasma - Repair or Replace?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #1  
My plasma is High Def.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 6
Question Panasonic Plasma - Repair or Replace?

Hi all,

Several years ago when I was in the market for a new TV, all you nice people helped me determine what I wanted. I knew very little at the time, but with the help of the folks here, I settled on the Panasonic Plasma (Viera) TCP55GT30.

I've really enjoyed the TV and the picture has been great. But today, after nearly 6 years, the TV quit on me. I'm getting the "7 red blinks of death." I've searched around and it looks like this is fixable by getting a new "SC Board" and replacing it myself. However, I'm lacking the confidence that I can actually do this without causing MORE problems. Also, I don't know for certain that a new SC Board is in fact, the problem. It looks like a $200 part, so if I'm wrong, then I will simply have wasted more money.

I could hire a local Panasonic service provider to fix it, but who knows what that will cost? Is it worth it?

6 years ago, everyone assured me Plasma pictures were the best. Is it still true today, with the new LEDs?

I have more space available today than I did back then -- maybe a 60 or 65 incher would be nice :-)

Is it worth considering a newer LED model TV? Or do you guys think I should keep my Panasonic and try to have it repaired?

If upgrading to something newer is the way to go.... any suggestions? I'm not looking to break the bank on this purchase, but still want something at least as good as my Viera.

Would my Plasma be worth anything on Craiglist to an enthusiast who might be inclined to fix it up?

Any thoughts or insights you have would be appreciated.
Thanks!
sstchur2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:11 PM   #2  
Administrator
 
rbinck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 16,968
Default

Depending on your budget, I'd consider replace because plasmas also have the issue of rising black levels. My Panny with a black screen puts out more light than my LG LCD Led backlit TV with a black screen. So you may find that some of the new LCD TVs are actually better than the Panny.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #3  
My plasma is High Def.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
Depending on your budget, I'd consider replace because plasmas also have the issue of rising black levels. My Panny with a black screen puts out more light than my LG LCD Led backlit TV with a black screen. So you may find that some of the new LCD TVs are actually better than the Panny.
That's what I've been wondering... if I were to go the LED route, can you recommend any models I should check out based on the fact that I was very happy (till now) with the Panasonic Plasma?
sstchur2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #4  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,570
Default

post your budget and size. if you can swing it I would suggest last year's LG B6P (OLED) unbelievable PQ Currently being offered for great prices, due to newer models being brought to market.

Last edited by ImRizzo; 05-01-2017 at 07:35 AM..
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #5  
My plasma is High Def.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
post your budget and size. if you can swing it I would suggest last year's LG B6P (OLED) unbelievable PQ Currently being offered for great prices, due to newer models being brought to market.
I looked it up. It's a bit pricey for me. Something under $2000 would be nice. 60 or 65 inch would also be nice but I suppose I may have to compromise given my budget.
sstchur2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:03 PM   #6  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstchur2 View Post
I looked it up. It's a bit pricey for me. Something under $2000 would be nice. 60 or 65 inch would also be nice but I suppose I may have to compromise given my budget.
I bought mine from Eastcoast tv http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/LG-OLED-.../oled55b6p.htm 1369.00 with an additional $50.00 disc. any questions plz ask
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #7  
My plasma is High Def.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
I bought mine from Eastcoast tv 1369.00 with an additional $50.00 disc. any questions plz ask
Oh, that's a good price, and I bought my plasma from them 6 years ago too!

I recognize your alias from years ago and I believe you answered many of my questions about the Panasonic back then. Knowing what you know about both TVs, and given the fact that I was really happy with the picture from the Panasonic, do you think I would be equally happy with the B6p?

Truth be told, I'm not an expert or anything and have no real basis on which to judge TV picture quality. I just know that I really liked the Panasonic.

Do you think it is worth going to 65 inch? I guess that is pretty subjective and somewhat dependent on my distance from the TV, huh?

EDIT: Oh here's a question - my Panasonic had an HDMI labeled "ARC" (audio return channel) which I was able to use with my Panasonic Blu Ray (which is also a 5.1 sound system). The ARC allowed me to leverage the sound system even when I wasn't actually using the blu-ray. Would I be able to do the same with the LG?
sstchur2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:52 AM   #8  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstchur2 View Post
Oh, that's a good price, and I bought my plasma from them 6 years ago too!

I recognize your alias from years ago and I believe you answered many of my questions about the Panasonic back then. Knowing what you know about both TVs, and given the fact that I was really happy with the picture from the Panasonic, do you think I would be equally happy with the B6p?

Truth be told, I'm not an expert or anything and have no real basis on which to judge TV picture quality. I just know that I really liked the Panasonic.

Do you think it is worth going to 65 inch? I guess that is pretty subjective and somewhat dependent on my distance from the TV, huh?

EDIT: Oh here's a question - my Panasonic had an HDMI labeled "ARC" (audio return channel) which I was able to use with my Panasonic Blu Ray (which is also a 5.1 sound system). The ARC allowed me to leverage the sound system even when I wasn't actually using the blu-ray. Would I be able to do the same with the LG?
You'll be ecstatic with the picture quality on this set, I've owned all highend Sony's with excellent PQ and my son had a Panasonic Plasma, this picture is head and shoulders better Perfect blacks and super color rendering. As far as size, that is up to you. This also has an ARC input.
BTW they will try to upsell you on EW but you can negotiate the shipping.
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:28 PM   #9  
My plasma is High Def.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 6
Default

So I think I'm finally ready to purchase and planning to go with the LG B6P that you recommended. I wonder if EC Tvs might have any sales for July 4th? Their web site currently says "Free White Glove Delivery and $50 discount" ends at midnight. I'm suspecting that they do this all the time and that both will still be available a few days from now.

But wondering if anyone has more experience than I do....
sstchur2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #10  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 170
Default

Thanks for the tip on the LG B6P at East Coast TV. My Panasonic TH-50PZ800U has given me an outstanding picture and service. However, it will be 9 years old in December, and like has been intimated, in the last few years, the black levels has been noticeably rising to the point that really dark scenes are almost a black out. East Coast's 65" price is well below the posted price of most other dealers. With each passing day, I'll have my finger on the East Coast TV trigger, as soon as I get the "blinking lights of death" from my Panasonic.
geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #11  
My plasma is High Def.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
Thanks for the tip on the LG B6P at East Coast TV. My Panasonic TH-50PZ800U has given me an outstanding picture and service. However, it will be 9 years old in December, and like has been intimated, in the last few years, the black levels has been noticeably rising to the point that really dark scenes are almost a black out. East Coast's 65" price is well below the posted price of most other dealers. With each passing day, I'll have my finger on the East Coast TV trigger, as soon as I get the "blinking lights of death" from my Panasonic.
Well... I just got off the phone with them (they insisted I call to confirm my order). They claim that it is "back ordered" but I suspect this is BS, b/c I was willing to wait and asked how long, and he just tried to upsell me to the newer model (I suspect they don't have the older model at all anymore, but they let people order it so they can try to upsell them). I said it was too expensive and he said he'd knock $100 off, but I still said no. Then he hung up. So I'm back to square one I guess, as I don't want to pay for the B7P.

Last edited by sstchur2; 07-03-2017 at 01:25 PM..
sstchur2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:59 PM   #12  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 170
Default

I did a little tv surfing, and I found the LG B6P at niceelectronics.com at practically the same price, and supposedly in stock. Nice Electronics has a good reseller rating as a plus. Comparing the LG B6P to the newer LG B7P, for the cost and minor upgrades, I think the B6P is a better buy.

Last edited by geronimo; 07-03-2017 at 08:04 PM..
geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #13  
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2
Default

Well, I dropped my 2008 Panasonic Plasma Tv from a height of 18 inches and nothing works, not surprisingly. I loved this TV and want to know if it is worth fixing or if it can be fixed?
Oh my... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #14  
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn..It's not a Place, it's an Attitude, & LI,NY
Posts: 23,570
Default

My personal opinion is to walk away from repairs, if dropped you could have more than one problem and you may experience continuing problems. Besides a new panel will give you a better picture and the newer capabilities UHD 4K etc.
Oh my... likes this.
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #15  
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2
Default

Oh thank you for your quick reply!
I am beside myself about this and son't know if I can ever get the quality out of a newer TV!
Oh my... is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands