High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

DirecTV Forum Discuss and learn about DirecTV High Definition Satellite TV.

What did you do when you wanted to replace your receiver box?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #1  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 39
Default What did you do when you wanted to replace your receiver box?

1.My dilemma is that I only have one receiver box,but it is not a DVR. I want to replace it with a HD DVR. I called a DirecTV representative one day and she told me to go to Best Buy to see if they have a discount on it for a price of $299 USD. Then,I asked her that I just want to replace my current receiver and she reply along the line that the DirecTV technician won't do that. She told me the reason why,but I did not really understand what she told me.

So,what should I do,now?

I know that the HD DVR is being leased out anyway,there is no way that I would cash out $299 USD for a leased equipment.
BORGUSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:07 AM   #2  
360 Beer Crew Founder
 
raiderfan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Eck's Basement
Posts: 4,846
Default

I qualified for a free HD DVR upgrade when i called, so that's obviously what i chose. However, your choice seems to to be get one from D* or get one from BB. Either way, its going to cost you the same.

I happened to call the other day to upgrade my standard def dvr receiver in my bedroom, to a high def receiver (didn't want to pay $200 for a high def dvr) and the rep told me it was $100 for the receiver, plus 19.99 for shipping, PLUS $46.00 installation!!! Installation?!?!?! I told her i didn't need an installer to plug in my high def receiver, and she still said she would need to charge me installation. She then said, your other option, to avoid all of the other fees was to get one at BB, and just pay the $100. So that is what i'm going to do.
raiderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #3  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
1.My dilemma is that I only have one receiver box,but it is not a DVR. I want to replace it with a HD DVR. I called a DirecTV representative one day and she told me to go to Best Buy to see if they have a discount on it for a price of $299 USD. Then,I asked her that I just want to replace my current receiver and she reply along the line that the DirecTV technician won't do that. She told me the reason why,but I did not really understand what she told me.

So,what should I do,now?

I know that the HD DVR is being leased out anyway,there is no way that I would cash out $299 USD for a leased equipment.
They have lots of CSRs, try a different one. Worst case should be $199 if you get a friendly one.
joed32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #4  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 39
Default

Well,I know that the initial installation was that I can get up to four televisions each install with a receiver,but since I only have my HDTV got installed with a receiver. Then,would I be able to get a free installation next time they come over to upgrade my receiver?
BORGUSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #5  
Overdue Degauss
 
isszguy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 762
Default

I think the HD DVR is $169 at Costco. Re the 4 unit free setup, I think you only get one bite of that apple.
isszguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #6  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan View Post
I qualified for a free HD DVR upgrade when i called, so that's obviously what i chose. However, your choice seems to to be get one from D* or get one from BB. Either way, its going to cost you the same.

I happened to call the other day to upgrade my standard def dvr receiver in my bedroom, to a high def receiver (didn't want to pay $200 for a high def dvr) and the rep told me it was $100 for the receiver, plus 19.99 for shipping, PLUS $46.00 installation!!! Installation?!?!?! I told her i didn't need an installer to plug in my high def receiver, and she still said she would need to charge me installation. She then said, your other option, to avoid all of the other fees was to get one at BB, and just pay the $100. So that is what i'm going to do.
You're not going to get a HD DVR at Best Buy for $100. That price will get you a standard HD receiver.
stonedog23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #7  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
Well,I know that the initial installation was that I can get up to four televisions each install with a receiver,but since I only have my HDTV got installed with a receiver. Then,would I be able to get a free installation next time they come over to upgrade my receiver?
If you get it from them they will install it.
joed32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #8  
WestDC
 
WestDC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: EARTH
Posts: 2,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
1.My dilemma is that I only have one receiver box,but it is not a DVR. I want to replace it with a HD DVR. I called a DirecTV representative one day and she told me to go to Best Buy to see if they have a discount on it for a price of $299 USD. Then,I asked her that I just want to replace my current receiver and she reply along the line that the DirecTV technician won't do that. She told me the reason why,but I did not really understand what she told me.

So,what should I do,now?

I know that the HD DVR is being leased out anyway,there is no way that I would cash out $299 USD for a leased equipment.
What you can try is logon to your D* account and add a HDDVR to your Cart -price is dependant on how long you have been a D* subcriber. price may be $99 or $199. upon checkout you will asked (drop down widow) for a DIY install or Pro-Install, Select DIY install and go to the front pourch and wait for the UPS driver.

While your waiting run a RG6 from the (LNB) located at the dish to where your HD receiver is now located and you will be ready to call D* when the HDDVR arrives to Activate the HDDVR and then Deactivate the HD receiver, which will generate a Tracking number for a FedX box for that receiver to be sent back home.



The above is assuming that you have NOW have HD service, If not call in and ask to upgrade your service that may get you stuff for free.
WestDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:07 AM   #9  
360 Beer Crew Founder
 
raiderfan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Eck's Basement
Posts: 4,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedog23 View Post
You're not going to get a HD DVR at Best Buy for $100. That price will get you a standard HD receiver.

No, i wasn't saying that. I have a standard def dvr currently in my bedroom. Not wanting to pay $200 for a hd dvr, i decided to call Dtv to see about getting a high def receiver. They said it would be $100 for the receiver, $20.00 for shipping and $46 for installation. She then told me to go to BB and get the high def receiver for the $100 and bypass the other fees.
raiderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:44 AM   #10  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 39
Default

By the way,I read somewhere online that DirecTV has something to do with your phone line,huh?
BORGUSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #11  
Overdue Degauss
 
isszguy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
1
I know that the HD DVR is being leased out anyway,there is no way that I would cash out $299 USD for a leased equipment.
You can get one at Costco for $169. The Costco price comes down to about $4.7 a month (figuring 36 months of service). Sounds fair to me for the latest equipment.
isszguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #12  
My plasma is High Def.
 
nevette's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post
They have lots of CSRs, try a different one. Worst case should be $199 if you get a friendly one.
So true. I just ordered a HD DVR to upgraded my old HD receiver.
The price was $199.00 on line at DTV and at BB. The CSR gave it to me for $39.00. Actually, $99.00 with a $10.00 credit for six months to my acount. There was no charge for installation even though they have to run another cable to the box.

Quote:
While your waiting run a RG6 from the (LNB) located at the dish to where your HD receiver is now located and you will be ready to call D* when the HDDVR arrives to Activate the HDDVR and then Deactivate the HD receiver, which will generate a Tracking number for a FedX box for that receiver to be sent back home.
I originally bought my own HD receiver and I plan on moving it to another room and replace a SD receiver. There is no way that I will send it back to DTV (home).

I don't understand the last sentence on the above quote.

Last edited by nevette; 08-28-2009 at 06:35 PM..
nevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:48 AM   #13  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevette View Post
So true. I just ordered a HD DVR to upgraded my old HD receiver.
The price was $199.00 on line at DTV and at BB. The CSR gave it to me for $39.00. Actually, $99.00 with a $10.00 credit for six months to my acount. There was no charge for installation even though they have to run another cable to the box.



I originally bought my own HD receiver and I plan on moving it to another room and replace a SD receiver. There is no way that I will send it back to DTV (home).

I don't understand the last sentence on the above quote.
If you are going to keep it activated just tell them that when you call and you will be fine.
joed32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #14  
My plasma is High Def.
 
nevette's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6
Default

Thanks, Joed 32. Thats what I thought.
nevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:08 AM   #15  
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21
Default

They wanted $300 from me after being a subscriber for eleven years. I switched to AT&T Homezone for four months. Awful experience. I later read the trick is to say "cancel service" at the voice prompt. I came back to D* for $99.

That was two years ago so I don't know if it still works. I now see Dish may have more HD offerings if you exclude PPV and sports so maybe I'll switch again.
schneid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to What did you do when you wanted to replace your receiver box?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Show us your System Farout777 High Definition Media 847 09-30-2014 07:30 AM
Do I need a amplified splitter SemperFly Verizon FiOS 69 07-24-2009 07:58 PM
Please post your Solid Signal frustrations here!! 1happyguy Local HDTV Info and Reception 51 07-20-2009 07:51 AM
Warner Home Video Prez: “We think this is a do-or-die time for Blu-ray” mikemorel High Definition Media 200 11-25-2008 07:24 AM
The Official "Dark Knight" Discussion -- SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT! Peter Marlowe At The Movies and Movie Discussions 31 07-27-2008 02:16 PM
Blu-ray is doomed according to Don Reisinger MG537 High Definition Media 80 03-11-2008 12:12 PM
Letter to DirecTv cdkipp DirecTV Forum 11 12-22-2005 12:34 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:13 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands