High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

DirecTV Forum Discuss and learn about DirecTV High Definition Satellite TV.

New HD user,,, Gathering Info

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #1  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16
Default New HD user,,, Gathering Info

Ok,, I have been an HD customer for about a month,,,, I have been trying to research and read as much as I can about HD Direct TV...

First of all I bought a Vizio VP50" plasma 720p in November,,,, It lasted a whole 2 months then a verticle green line suddenly started appearing on the screen,,, was able to return it for full refund. In the process I discovered that Vizio is having alot of issues with the VP50.

I decided to go shopping around,,, after weighing my options and budget, I settled on the Toshiba 57" DLP 1080P,, upon having this TV calibrated it blows away that Vizio in clarity and quality. The Toshiba was the best buy I could find for a 50+ 1080P, 1,400.00.

I currently have Direct TV HD package, and I am satisified with all the HD programming,,, except no Locals in HD. I live in Texarkana TX,, the Shreveport Arklatex broadcast area. I have been reading here that it will probably be mid May or June before I can get my locals in HD. I guess thats with the launch of the 11 sat??? Is there any way I can get my locals in HD before then?? What is OTA? Please understand I am new to all of this..... I would really like to see the Superbowl in HD,,, can someone offer some insight??
eriwilnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #2  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,179
Default

OTA is short for over the air. Go to www.antennaweb.org to determine what local HD channels are available and what type of antenna you need to access them. If you are close enough-say within 30 or so miles-you may be able to pull them in with an interior antenna.
Jim Bob Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:50 AM   #3  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
tumbleweed's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Eastern Oregon
Posts: 548
Default

OTA means Over The Air. In other words receiving your local channels with a VHF or UHF antenna just like we all did back in the old days. If your locals are broadcasting in HD and you are in an area that receives them that may be a way to get them. If your like me and don't have OTA reception and D* doesn't have them on the satellite in HD your pretty much screwed.

The law does not allow satellite providers to give you network feeds if you live in an area "served" by local channels. D* will request a waver from the locals in your area that would allow it but those wavers are always turned down.
tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #4  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16
Default Thanks,,,,

I went to the Link that Jim Bob posted and it confirmed what Tumble posted,,,, IM SCREWED! Oh well looks like its SD for SB

Thanks a bunch,,, and I'll continue to check this forum for updates on HD locals.
eriwilnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #5  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16
Default Tumbleweed,,,

I was re-reading what Tumble wrote,,, on the waver for locals.... are you saying that if my local cable company offers the locals in HD then by law I cannot ever get them through DTV???? The cable company here,,(Cableone) does have the locals in HD,,, does this mean the only way DTV can offer them is to get a waver approved by cableone??? Oh man that would really suck,,, the local cable company here is awful,,, and very expensive.
eriwilnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #6  
97% Complete
 
mcbeevee's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Big Orange Country, TN
Posts: 1,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriwilnel View Post
I went to the Link that Jim Bob posted and it confirmed what Tumble posted,,,, IM SCREWED! Oh well looks like its SD for SB

Thanks a bunch,,, and I'll continue to check this forum for updates on HD locals.
The Shreveport HD locals appear to be about 50 miles away from you. With a strong enough outdoor antenna, you might be able to get those. You can call the guys at Solid Signal and ask them if it's possible.

mcbeevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #7  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
tumbleweed's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Eastern Oregon
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriwilnel View Post
I was re-reading what Tumble wrote,,, on the waver for locals.... are you saying that if my local cable company offers the locals in HD then by law I cannot ever get them through DTV???? The cable company here,,(Cableone) does have the locals in HD,,, does this mean the only way DTV can offer them is to get a waver approved by cableone??? Oh man that would really suck,,, the local cable company here is awful,,, and very expensive.
No that's not what I was trying to say. You will eventually get HD local channels from D*.

What I think the law says is that D* can only provide you with local channels that serve the area where your receiver is located and it doesn't matter if they are HD or SD. So for example even though I live in Oregon I can only get local channels from Washington because they "serve" the area where I live. D* isn't permitted to give me local channels from Portland or network feeds.

Edit: I am not sure about cable, they may follow different rules and laws? It's a big mess because of the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) which acts a lobbying organization for the companies that own local channels. The NAB paid off enough congress people to get this law passed because the local channel companies want to be able to count all the satellite subscribers as potential viewers for their advertisers.

Last edited by tumbleweed; 01-24-2008 at 02:23 PM..
tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #8  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16
Default No Go,,,but

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeevee View Post
The Shreveport HD locals appear to be about 50 miles away from you. With a strong enough outdoor antenna, you might be able to get those. You can call the guys at Solid Signal and ask them if it's possible.

Thanks for the info,,, but there are no digital stations they can reccommend for my area I spoke with solid sig and they were not that confident in the signal in my location.
eriwilnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #9  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16
Default Also,,,,

Could someone explain, or link me to an explanation of the whole 720p and 1080p,,, the reason I ask is because I have a1080p fhdtv but every single hd broadcast from direct tv shows 720p when I hit the info button on my tv remote,,, isnt 1080p better quality,, what can I do ,, if anything to get the full 1080p from direct tv HD?
eriwilnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #10  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriwilnel View Post
isnt 1080p better quality,, what can I do ,, if anything to get the full 1080p from direct tv HD?
Some channels will be broadcast in 720p and some in 1080i. All depends on what the original broadcast is. There's nothing you can do to change a 720p broadcast to 1080i, but depending on your TV, it may upscale 720p to 1080i.

Don't get too hung up on the whole 720p vs 1080i thing. It's doubtful that you'll notice a difference.
Munkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #11  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16
Default Thanks,,,

Munkey, I was thinking the 720p allready looked pretty dang good,,I didnt see how the 1080p could possibly be an improvement, but never hurts to ask.
eriwilnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #12  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriwilnel View Post
Munkey, I was thinking the 720p allready looked pretty dang good,,I didnt see how the 1080p could possibly be an improvement, but never hurts to ask.
He's right, you won't notice any difference, also nothing is broadcast in 1080p and won't be probably for many years. Your TV will still look a little better than a 720p TV on most broadcasts. Just sit back and enjoy!
joed32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #13  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriwilnel View Post
Could someone explain, or link me to an explanation of the whole 720p and 1080p,,, the reason I ask is because I have a1080p fhdtv but every single hd broadcast from direct tv shows 720p when I hit the info button on my tv remote,,, isnt 1080p better quality,, what can I do ,, if anything to get the full 1080p from direct tv HD?
You can set the receiver up to output either 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i. In the HDTV menu you can select what you tv can actually display. Then the format button on the remote (and there is a button on the front of the receiver itself) will let you toggle through the options. I leave my receiver at 1080i all the time and then the receivers upconverts all broadcasts to 1080i. I do this just for convenience (not because I can actually see a difference between it and 720p). There is also a Native option in the HDTV menu which lets the receiver select the resolution output based on what is actually coming in to it. I don't use this, but others do this and then use their TVs options to set it like they want.
new_2_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #14  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16
Default theres one exception

I have an upscale DVD player and while my Tv automaticly upscales 480P to 720P the DVD upscaler allows me to upscale to 1080P there is a considerable amount of difference between the two especially if its an older DVD like Top Gun, and I have the whole standard collection of Discovery Blue Planet and Planet Earth, the 1080p upscale makes a big difference in these DVDs. Still it does seem that the Direct Tv HD broadcast of Blue Planet and Planet Earth in 720P is even better than the upscaled 1080P DVDs of Blue Planet and Planet Earth,,, dont know why?
eriwilnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #15  
How can anyone watch standard def?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_2_hd View Post
You can set the receiver up to output either 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i. In the HDTV menu you can select what you tv can actually display. Then the format button on the remote (and there is a button on the front of the receiver itself) will let you toggle through the options. I leave my receiver at 1080i all the time and then the receivers upconverts all broadcasts to 1080i. I do this just for convenience (not because I can actually see a difference between it and 720p). There is also a Native option in the HDTV menu which lets the receiver select the resolution output based on what is actually coming in to it. I don't use this, but others do this and then use their TVs options to set it like they want.
Your kidding me,,,,, I did not know that,,,, let me ask you this,,, When the Direct tv tech installed my HD box I had a 720P plasma, I now have a 1080P DLP,,, so your saying I can use the Direct tv HD menu to change the output using the Direct TV remote?
eriwilnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to New HD user,,, Gathering Info
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
direct tv vs dish network mtb DirecTV Forum 30 11-16-2011 07:50 AM
Why stay with dishnet Downeaster DISH Network Forum 21 06-21-2008 03:32 PM
Toshiba Deploys New HD DVD Marketing Initiatives ... CapBBeard High Definition Media 237 01-18-2008 01:07 PM
New HD Channels wednesday 10/10/07 sportshandicap DirecTV Forum 54 10-12-2007 09:37 AM
Any DTV reps know anything about all the sports channels that were posted to go HD? spree17 DirecTV Forum 10 09-28-2007 03:36 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands