High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

DirecTV Forum Discuss and learn about DirecTV High Definition Satellite TV.

I'm disappointed with DirecTV's HD Package

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2006, 08:50 AM   #1  
Shake & Bake - WOOOO!
Thread Starter
 
HondoHDTV's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 204
Default I'm disappointed with DirecTV's HD Package

Yesterday, the DirecTV guy came out and installed a NEW Slimline Dish and one HD20 Receiver.

First... let me say that the installer (Chris) did a supurb job and was extremely knowledgable. He was concerned when I said that I had set my own 2 inch mast but after he actually seen the pole he was confident that everything would be fine with a) the location and b) the gauge and strength of the mast (which by the way is 2 inch OD 14ga).

The issue or disappointment I have is this... I've been with DirecTV since Christmas of 1996. I have been a loyal customer all that time. Yesterday, I was setup on the new HD package which consists of ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, UniversalHD, HDNET Movies, HDNET, TNTHD & DiscoveryHD.

The increase in price was $9.99 (after four months free) with a 2 Year Commitment for the newer premium equipment.

My beef is this... I can't get local HD on the dish (I have to add a OTA antenna for them), I only get 7 HD channels, they make me lease the equipment and they lock me into a two year aggreement. I've been a customer in GREAT standing for 10 years... are they worried that I'll jump ship now?


I don't eat, drink and sleep sports anymore, I'll watch a movies once in a while and although Discovery is cool... I don't believe a documentary a day will keep the doctor away.

I'm tempted to cancel it until they get additional channels, other than locals (which I can get on the antenna).


What do you all think?

Am I being unreasonable?

should I be expecting more for my money?


One other thing that caught my attention was, the guy told me that channel 76 was the clearest... why wouldn't they all be perfect?


BTW, here's a picture of the pole mounted Slimline AU9
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new_slimline_AU9.jpg (80.6 KB, 180 views)
HondoHDTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:31 PM   #2  
WestDC
 
WestDC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: EARTH
Posts: 2,416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondoHDTV
Yesterday, the DirecTV guy came out and installed a NEW Slimline Dish and one HD20 Receiver.

First... let me say that the installer (Chris) did a supurb job and was extremely knowledgable. He was concerned when I said that I had set my own 2 inch mast but after he actually seen the pole he was confident that everything would be fine with a) the location and b) the gauge and strength of the mast (which by the way is 2 inch OD 14ga).

The issue or disappointment I have is this... I've been with DirecTV since Christmas of 1996. I have been a loyal customer all that time. Yesterday, I was setup on the new HD package which consists of ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, UniversalHD, HDNET Movies, HDNET, TNTHD & DiscoveryHD.

The increase in price was $9.99 (after four months free) with a 2 Year Commitment for the newer premium equipment.

My beef is this... I can't get local HD on the dish (I have to add a OTA antenna for them), I only get 7 HD channels, they make me lease the equipment and they lock me into a two year aggreement. I've been a customer in GREAT standing for 10 years... are they worried that I'll jump ship now?


I don't eat, drink and sleep sports anymore, I'll watch a movies once in a while and although Discovery is cool... I don't believe a documentary a day will keep the doctor away.

I'm tempted to cancel it until they get additional channels, other than locals (which I can get on the antenna).


What do you all think?

Am I being unreasonable?

should I be expecting more for my money?


One other thing that caught my attention was, the guy told me that channel 76 was the clearest... why wouldn't they all be perfect?


BTW, here's a picture of the pole mounted Slimline AU9
You could get two more HBO & SHowtime - but you would have to subscribe to those premium channels in the first place. Before you ordered the upgrade you should have been informed 1. of the total number of channels 2. That Locals would not be in your zipcode yet so not to expect them

Your only other solution to your problem is to move or cancell your service.
WestDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #3  
My HDTV Sony Is A 53" Pro
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 22
Default

Call DirecTv and explain your problem. They are very easy to deal with.
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:05 AM   #4  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 35 miles W of Cleveland, OH
Posts: 63
Default

OR..........simply have patience. They'll be running out a bunch of national HD channels by summertime. This has been documented w/press releases. What's it gonna cost you in the meantime.....100 bucks?? Stick with it.
deejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:46 AM   #5  
A couch and an HDTV to go please.
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 12
Default

their available HD package is available for viewing PRIOR to committing...shouldn't be any surprises...of course, the weak programming selection is the only reason you are getting the first 4 months free!
...yeah they are easy to work with if you have the patience and time to call them several different times! If you don't like their answer to your question or request, just call back! you'll get a different one next time!
meisterhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:24 PM   #6  
Still learning
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 28
Thumbs up

I think it is sort of like when NTSC color came along in early 1960s. Not much was offered, the receivers were very expensive -- $500 or $600 bucks in 1960 is analogous to $2000 to $3000 today -- and there usually were only two or three channels available in a given area!!! Well, you can hang in there or back out and wait. The demand has to be there to make programming happen.

FCC, of course, will dictate when SD broadcasting will end, and that will be when a certain percentage of HD receivers are out in the field. At that time SD receivers will require a converter. I remember the UHF converter my parents had.

I think hanging in there will work.
GerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:29 PM   #7  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Diogenes's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
OR..........simply have patience. They'll be running out a bunch of national HD channels by summertime. This has been documented w/press releases. What's it gonna cost you in the meantime.....100 bucks?? Stick with it.
deejay, do you have a list of those new national HD channels?
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:25 PM   #8  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryG
I think it is sort of like when NTSC color came along in early 1960s. Not much was offered, the receivers were very expensive -- $500 or $600 bucks in 1960 is analogous to $2000 to $3000 today -- and there usually were only two or three channels available in a given area!!! Well, you can hang in there or back out and wait. The demand has to be there to make programming happen.

FCC, of course, will dictate when SD broadcasting will end, and that will be when a certain percentage of HD receivers are out in the field. At that time SD receivers will require a converter. I remember the UHF converter my parents had.

I think hanging in there will work.
The FCC is unlikely to have anything to do with the availability of SD. There is no reason why the satellite companies should not continue to deliver SD stations so long as there are SD stations to deliver. In fact many of the OTA digital stations (which are still SD) may NEVER go HD, not in the foreseeable future anyway. And there will not be any SD/HD converter boxes for satellite, I think you are referring tothe analog to digital transition which will occur in 2009 for OTA (broadcast) channels only - old TVs with NTSC (analog) tuners will need an ATSC (digital) receiver converter box.
texasbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:44 PM   #9  
Red Sox in HD: Priceless
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryG
I think it is sort of like when NTSC color came along in early 1960s. Not much was offered, the receivers were very expensive -- $500 or $600 bucks in 1960 is analogous to $2000 to $3000 today -- and there usually were only two or three channels available in a given area!!! Well, you can hang in there or back out and wait. The demand has to be there to make programming happen.

FCC, of course, will dictate when SD broadcasting will end, and that will be when a certain percentage of HD receivers are out in the field. At that time SD receivers will require a converter. I remember the UHF converter my parents had.

I think hanging in there will work.
FCC will never get rid of SD. SD can be digital, which is the only requirement. They will never force HD because there is simply no reason to force that cost on networks and on consumers.

Never will happen.
hitdog042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:05 PM   #10  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryG
I think it is sort of like when NTSC color came along in early 1960s. Not much was offered, the receivers were very expensive -- $500 or $600 bucks in 1960 is analogous to $2000 to $3000 today -- and there usually were only two or three channels available in a given area!!!
Either you were very young back in the late 50's/early60's, or like most Americans today, have a large chunk of memory wiped out. ):

The first RCA color sets circa 1956 or thereabouts, 21" round type tubes being the largest, were at least $1500-2000. This was exceedingly expensive, especially when one realizes that was MORE than a fully decked out Cadillac during the same time. 'Normal' sedans like a Ford Fairlaine were barely above 600-1K. Weekly wages at a decent unionized job were around $75/week, at best.

Most TV shops couldn't even afford to put a color set on display; the first one I bought, in 1968, was a 23" Sylvania at just shy of $1000. That was the equivilent of 3 months + worth of pay.

The first actual color set I actually saw in someone's home, happend to be in the house of an NBC station director in Idaho, circa 1964. The only programs in color at the time were things like Bonanza (Sunday nights) and a handfull of other shows scattered throughout the week. The number of HiDef shows on any of the the 5+ networks today, in one day, would be more than all three networks of the day, in color, for an entire WEEK!.

It took until the mid-seventies until the three networks began anything close to 100% color, all the time. So, it took close to 20+ years. The first network HD series shows were about y2000; 6 years later virtually everything is, and it's accellerating to even game shows and local news.

But the problem right now continues to be transmission/distribution, by cable or satellite. Most people don't realize that it was the television networks that drove AT&T to build the national microwave network across the country, to distribute the signal, and before that the west coast programs were on a week delay with film (remember, no videotape, didn't exist!).

Things are the same right now with HD; it will simply take a lot less time to build out the distribution systems, particularly satellite vrs. cable.
Beck38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:04 AM   #11  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 35 miles W of Cleveland, OH
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes
deejay, do you have a list of those new national HD channels?
No. But it's kinda predictable with Nat'l Geo, HGTV and others having already rolled out their HD versions.
deejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:57 AM   #12  
More HD is Here !!!
 
upnorth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondoHDTV
Yesterday, the DirecTV guy came out and installed a NEW Slimline Dish and one HD20 Receiver.

First... let me say that the installer (Chris) did a supurb job and was extremely knowledgable. He was concerned when I said that I had set my own 2 inch mast but after he actually seen the pole he was confident that everything would be fine with a) the location and b) the gauge and strength of the mast (which by the way is 2 inch OD 14ga).

The issue or disappointment I have is this... I've been with DirecTV since Christmas of 1996. I have been a loyal customer all that time. Yesterday, I was setup on the new HD package which consists of ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, UniversalHD, HDNET Movies, HDNET, TNTHD & DiscoveryHD.

The increase in price was $9.99 (after four months free) with a 2 Year Commitment for the newer premium equipment.

My beef is this... I can't get local HD on the dish (I have to add a OTA antenna for them), I only get 7 HD channels, they make me lease the equipment and they lock me into a two year aggreement. I've been a customer in GREAT standing for 10 years... are they worried that I'll jump ship now?


I don't eat, drink and sleep sports anymore, I'll watch a movies once in a while and although Discovery is cool... I don't believe a documentary a day will keep the doctor away.

I'm tempted to cancel it until they get additional channels, other than locals (which I can get on the antenna).


What do you all think?

Am I being unreasonable?

should I be expecting more for my money?


One other thing that caught my attention was, the guy told me that channel 76 was the clearest... why wouldn't they all be perfect?


BTW, here's a picture of the pole mounted Slimline AU9
Why did you upgrade then? You did not know this before you took the plunge?
I feel the $9.99 is a fair price for the channels
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to I'm disappointed with DirecTV's HD Package
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DirecTV vs. Cable Quality? BPRescue DirecTV Forum 33 10-10-2009 06:31 AM
Many Questions about FIOS Groz Verizon FiOS 20 05-05-2009 06:46 PM
HD locals through cable wire 91pylons DirecTV Forum 6 12-10-2007 08:42 AM
NY RANGERS in HD? DarwynZ DirecTV Forum 6 02-04-2007 11:39 AM
I'm disappointed with DirecTV's HD Package HondoHDTV DirecTV Forum 16 12-20-2006 07:37 AM
If Not For NFL ST, Would You Still Subscribe to D*? mluntz DirecTV Forum 28 11-04-2006 09:50 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands