High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

DirecTV Forum Discuss and learn about DirecTV High Definition Satellite TV.

Hr20-700s Dual Tuner Issue

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #1  
My plasma is High Def.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8
Default Hr20-700s Dual Tuner Issue

I just bought the HR20-700S HD DVR from Best Buy and hooked it up right away so I could watch the Bears vs Packers game today, but I have a question about the dual tuner. On my old HR10-250, I could not only record two shows at the same time, but I could also watch two things at once without actually having to tape them. For example, I could watch a football game on channel 714 and another one on channel 715. I could watch the one game on the one tuner, but then hit the down arrow on my remote and switch over to the other tuner and watch the other game. If I missed any scores or anything interesting, I could still rewind it for up to a 1/2 hour to see what I missed. Or I could watch a 1/2 hour show on one tuner, then switch to the other tuner where I already had a different show on and then quickly back it up a 1/2 hour and watch that show without having to record it. Now with the HR20-700S, I have been able to record two show at the same time just like the HR10-250, but I haven't figured out how to use the remote to switch from one tuner to the other. I read the manual from cover to cover and it says absolutely nothing about how to do this. Is this not possible with this unit? Can anyone shed any light on this issue. As I said, I've already recorded two shows at the same time and ran a system test, so I know both tuners are working. I just need to know how to switch between them so I can keep a selected channel on each tuner. Thanks to anyone who can offer any help.
msgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:29 PM   #2  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 32
Default

You can't.
Humnahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #3  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 72
Default

If that's true, that totally blows.
I gotta tell ya, the more I hear about this thing, the more it sounds like the HR10-250 is worth keeping. I'm not sure I want this new unit. I want my locals in HD as my OTA sucks and picks up almost nothing but I don't know after reading all the posts here thus far.
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:27 PM   #4  
My plasma is High Def.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8
Default Hr20-700s

I just called Directv customer service and the lady I spoke with told me that although you can record two shows at a time (or three at a time if you connect an OTA antenna) you cannot "toggle" between the two tuners. Apparently, this is a TIVO copyrighted feature and that's why you cannot do it on the HR20. I never had the HR15, but was told that you couldn't toggle between the tuners on that unit either. Directv pushes the fact that you can rewind a show as far back as 90 minutes, which is far better than the 30 minutes that TIVO allows, but then they fail to tell you that feature is greatly diminished by the fact you cannot watch one tuner and than switch over to the other tuner and back it up 90 minutes - you can only do it on the tuner you are watching. I've only had the unit for about half a day, but so far, I'm not impressed. I admit there are a few cool features that are nice little improvements over the HR10-250, but over all, I find this unit and it's remote to be overly complicated and not up to par with the HR10-250. Not being able to switch between the tuners is a big drawback. At this point, I'd almost rather get an antenna and get my local HD channels that way and keep my HR10-250.
msgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #5  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Jimbos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgoalie
I just called Directv customer service and the lady I spoke with told me that although you can record two shows at a time (or three at a time if you connect an OTA antenna) you cannot "toggle" between the two tuners. Apparently, this is a TIVO copyrighted feature and that's why you cannot do it on the HR20. I never had the HR15, but was told that you couldn't toggle between the tuners on that unit either. Directv pushes the fact that you can rewind a show as far back as 90 minutes, which is far better than the 30 minutes that TIVO allows, but then they fail to tell you that feature is greatly diminished by the fact you cannot watch one tuner and than switch over to the other tuner and back it up 90 minutes - you can only do it on the tuner you are watching. I've only had the unit for about half a day, but so far, I'm not impressed. I admit there are a few cool features that are nice little improvements over the HR10-250, but over all, I find this unit and it's remote to be overly complicated and not up to par with the HR10-250. Not being able to switch between the tuners is a big drawback. At this point, I'd almost rather get an antenna and get my local HD channels that way and keep my HR10-250.

I will get the hr20-700soon so I can get my mpeg 4 programming, I am looking forward to watching my local hockey team in HD, with the hr10-250 I cannot do that.
This unit will be quite a bit different than the HR10-250 as a lot of people are accustom to the TIVO units and will have to throw out the TIVO programming ideas that they know and start over with a new format.

I think once the newness wears off it will be fine, everyone has to reprogram thier brain for teh current technology, or keep the hr10-250 for a few more years and deal with other stuff when everyone has to change to the mpeg4 format, but that will be awile down the road yet.

Jimbo
Jimbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #6  
My plasma is High Def.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8
Default

I have no problem with new technology or doing things a different way. I just hate when they give you something like being able to switch between tuners and then they take it away from you. Plus I think they are being less than honest in the promotion of their new DVR because they use the term "dual tuner" which is the exact term used with the old HR10-250 TIVO's. The problem here is that when people see that, they immediately think it's going to be the same technology, in that you can record two shows at the same time and switch between the two tuners because Directv makes no effort to tell you otherwise. It might not matter to new customers or to people who have never had the HR10-250, but for the people who have had that unit and are going to switch to the HR20-700S, I think they will be disappointed. I'm not saying they won't like the new DVR, but I do think they will definitely miss the feature of switching between tuners. However, that's just my opinion. Everyone is different and has to weigh the plusses and minuses on their own
msgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #7  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Jimbos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgoalie
I have no problem with new technology or doing things a different way. I just hate when they give you something like being able to switch between tuners and then they take it away from you. Plus I think they are being less than honest in the promotion of their new DVR because they use the term "dual tuner" which is the exact term used with the old HR10-250 TIVO's. The problem here is that when people see that, they immediately think it's going to be the same technology, in that you can record two shows at the same time and switch between the two tuners because Directv makes no effort to tell you otherwise. It might not matter to new customers or to people who have never had the HR10-250, but for the people who have had that unit and are going to switch to the HR20-700S, I think they will be disappointed. I'm not saying they won't like the new DVR, but I do think they will definitely miss the feature of switching between tuners. However, that's just my opinion. Everyone is different and has to weigh the plusses and minuses on their own
They are not taking away anything, TIVO is, it was TIVO's technology and they have the patent and they are the ones causing the change.
They have already filled a lawsuit with DISH over using their technology, causeing a potential shut down of DISH DVR's ( I feel something will be worked out before that happens)
D* wants no part of this type of pub., that is one reason they went out and developed thier own DVR, now all the TIVO people are up in arms saying D* took this and that away, but it really is a patent issue.

As for the Dual tuners, it is just that (and only that appearently) you can record two shows or record one and watch another.

The Non TIVO people will have a bit easier time getting use to it, we have no expectations yet as far as TIVO funtions goes.
The TIVO converters will have to get use to the new format.
Hell, it's new to all of us.
I am hopeing we can all learn this unit and share the info.

Jimbo
Jimbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:33 PM   #8  
Football in HD, mmm good!
 
deadhead68's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 2,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgoalie
I just bought the HR20-700S HD DVR from Best Buy and hooked it up right away so I could watch the Bears vs Packers game today, but I have a question about the dual tuner. On my old HR10-250, I could not only record two shows at the same time, but I could also watch two things at once without actually having to tape them. For example, I could watch a football game on channel 714 and another one on channel 715. I could watch the one game on the one tuner, but then hit the down arrow on my remote and switch over to the other tuner and watch the other game. If I missed any scores or anything interesting, I could still rewind it for up to a 1/2 hour to see what I missed. Or I could watch a 1/2 hour show on one tuner, then switch to the other tuner where I already had a different show on and then quickly back it up a 1/2 hour and watch that show without having to record it. Now with the HR20-700S, I have been able to record two show at the same time just like the HR10-250, but I haven't figured out how to use the remote to switch from one tuner to the other. I read the manual from cover to cover and it says absolutely nothing about how to do this. Is this not possible with this unit? Can anyone shed any light on this issue. As I said, I've already recorded two shows at the same time and ran a system test, so I know both tuners are working. I just need to know how to switch between them so I can keep a selected channel on each tuner. Thanks to anyone who can offer any help.
I don't mean to bash here, as I am no longer a DTV customer but do check out this section of the forum to see what's going on and to try to help others. I switched from DTV to Comcast about 7 months ago. One of the things I loved about my DTV SD Tivo receiver was being able to watch 2 channels at the same time without missing anything by switching tuners. I can still do this with my Moto HD DVR STB from Comcast. It really does blow me away that the new HR20-700 does not have this ability.

DeadHead68
deadhead68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:36 PM   #9  
Football in HD, mmm good!
 
deadhead68's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 2,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbos
They are not taking away anything, TIVO is, it was TIVO's technology and they have the patent and they are the ones causing the change.
They have already filled a lawsuit with DISH over using their technology, causeing a potential shut down of DISH DVR's ( I feel something will be worked out before that happens)
D* wants no part of this type of pub., that is one reason they went out and developed thier own DVR, now all the TIVO people are up in arms saying D* took this and that away, but it really is a patent issue.

As for the Dual tuners, it is just that (and only that appearently) you can record two shows or record one and watch another.

The Non TIVO people will have a bit easier time getting use to it, we have no expectations yet as far as TIVO funtions goes.
The TIVO converters will have to get use to the new format.
Hell, it's new to all of us.
I am hopeing we can all learn this unit and share the info.

Jimbo
Jimbo,
I am not trying to say you are wrong, I just want to understand. How come my Moto 3412 HD DVR STB from Comcast allows me to toggle back and forth between tuners to be able to watch 2 channels at the same time? I do it all the time. I got used to doing it with DTV's SD Tivo. I can watch 2 one hour shows on at the same time in about an hour and 10 minutes total.

DeadHead68
deadhead68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:55 PM   #10  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Jimbos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead68
Jimbo,
I am not trying to say you are wrong, I just want to understand. How come my Moto 3412 HD DVR STB from Comcast allows me to toggle back and forth between tuners to be able to watch 2 channels at the same time? I do it all the time. I got used to doing it with DTV's SD Tivo. I can watch 2 one hour shows on at the same time in about an hour and 10 minutes total.

DeadHead68
Don't say I am not wrong, I could be .... I don't have either unit yet.
Just wondering, is the unit you use now a TIVO based unit.
TIVO was talking about signing with cable companies last I heard.

I have not looked into the situation yet, but does anyone know if the toggling tuner thing could be corrected with a software update ????
Possibly something they could do , maybe, I know they need to turn on the OTA tuners also.

Jimbo
Jimbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:03 PM   #11  
Football in HD, mmm good!
 
deadhead68's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 2,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbos
Don't say I am not wrong, I could be .... I don't have either unit yet.
Just wondering, is the unit you use now a TIVO based unit.
TIVO was talking about signing with cable companies last I heard.

I have not looked into the situation yet, but does anyone know if the toggling tuner thing could be corrected with a software update ????
Possibly something they could do , maybe, I know they need to turn on the OTA tuners also.

Jimbo
The unit I use now is not Tivo based. That's why I was questioning you. I have heard rumors that Tivo is supposed to join with Comcast. Just not yet. I have had a Tivo based DTV unit in the past, that's why I can say that the Moto 3412 is definitely not Tivo based.

DeadHead68
deadhead68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:15 PM   #12  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Jimbos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead68
The unit I use now is not Tivo based. That's why I was questioning you. I have heard rumors that Tivo is supposed to join with Comcast. Just not yet. I have had a Tivo based DTV unit in the past, that's why I can say that the Moto 3412 is definitely not Tivo based.

DeadHead68
Hmmmmm, don't know what to make of it .
Hopefully a software update can fix the issue.
Jimbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:48 PM   #13  
My plasma is High Def.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8
Default

Jimbo,

Assuming I was told the truth - I always question this with Directv because if you ask 10 different DTV reps the same question you'll get 10 different answers - there is no doubt that the HR20 does not have the tuner switching capability because they do not want to have any issues with TIVO copyrights the way that DISH Network had. However, my point is that when the HR10-250 first came out, they were $1,000 bucks. Now, Directv wants you to replace that with their HR20 which is going for $399.00. On top of this, after you pay the $399.00 you have to pay a monthly rental fee as you don't even own the box - you are leasing it. You can say that TIVO took the tuner switching capabilities away, but I don't buy that. Rupert Murdoch is an extremely powerful and rich owner and I'm pretty sure he could have worked something out with TIVO if he was so inclined so that they could have used that feature in their DVR. Plus, what about the other gentleman who has Comcast and is able to do this with his receiver even though he doesn't have a TIVO product? Again, to someone who has never had the HR10-250, my complaint probably won't mean a hill of beans, but for someone who paid $1,000 for that box and then pays another $400.00 to replace it with an HR20 because he or she thinks he's getting the latest and the greatest, it's going to be a disappointment in my opinion.
msgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:26 PM   #14  
A couch and an HDTV to go please.
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgoalie
Jimbo,

Assuming I was told the truth - I always question this with Directv because if you ask 10 different DTV reps the same question you'll get 10 different answers - there is no doubt that the HR20 does not have the tuner switching capability because they do not want to have any issues with TIVO copyrights the way that DISH Network had. However, my point is that when the HR10-250 first came out, they were $1,000 bucks. Now, Directv wants you to replace that with their HR20 which is going for $399.00. On top of this, after you pay the $399.00 you have to pay a monthly rental fee as you don't even own the box - you are leasing it. You can say that TIVO took the tuner switching capabilities away, but I don't buy that. Rupert Murdoch is an extremely powerful and rich owner and I'm pretty sure he could have worked something out with TIVO if he was so inclined so that they could have used that feature in their DVR. Plus, what about the other gentleman who has Comcast and is able to do this with his receiver even though he doesn't have a TIVO product? Again, to someone who has never had the HR10-250, my complaint probably won't mean a hill of beans, but for someone who paid $1,000 for that box and then pays another $400.00 to replace it with an HR20 because he or she thinks he's getting the latest and the greatest, it's going to be a disappointment in my opinion.
msgoalie,

Im a DTV Tivo SD user. How is the interface with the new DVR? I love TIVO and if they had a box out that had dual tuners for SAT TV I would just get the regular DTV H20 and get a separate Tivo box, but they dont have that yet so DTV is coming to install my HR20-700 in two weeks. Just wondering how the interface is.

Thanks
Sirius77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:06 AM   #15  
Go Steelers !
 
lizardhowson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 516
Default 2 tuners

Although I do not have the new HR20-700S, the function of having 2 tuners in a sat box and being able to go back and forth to each tuner does not sound like any type of function which could be specifically copyrighted.

For years, TVs and TV tuners have allowed the ability to jump back and forth between antennas, tuners and cable inputs.

Just doesn't make any sense, especially in light of the fact that other non-TIVO DVRs offer it.

...just my 2 cents worth...
lizardhowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:56 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands