High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

DirecTV Forum Discuss and learn about DirecTV High Definition Satellite TV.

Is DTV HD passing DISH ?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #1  
Red Sox in HD: Priceless
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,913
Default Is DTV HD passing DISH ?

With the regional sports network HD launching, it's in my opinion that DTV has now passed DN for HD content.

Sure, Dish has the Voom channels, and they have National Geographic and Starz.

But does anything really measure up to live sports? With the NFL package in HD and now the RSN's, I have to give the nod to DTV now.

I guess if you are not a sports fan, maybe Dish is still better in your eyes. But for sports fans, I think it's clear that DTV has stepped ahead even further now.
hitdog042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:28 PM   #2  
HD Sunday Ticket FTW
 
1080i Ownz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Houston
Age: 42
Posts: 443
Default

Well said. I had Voom and it isnt all that. ST in HD > anything on TV
1080i Ownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #3  
No HD? We have a problem.
 
stchman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 52
Posts: 2,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitdog042
With the regional sports network HD launching, it's in my opinion that DTV has now passed DN for HD content.

Sure, Dish has the Voom channels, and they have National Geographic and Starz.

But does anything really measure up to live sports? With the NFL package in HD and now the RSN's, I have to give the nod to DTV now.

I guess if you are not a sports fan, maybe Dish is still better in your eyes. But for sports fans, I think it's clear that DTV has stepped ahead even further now.
Lets see, ST + SF is $379 (don't forget that). We all realize that DTV has the ST locked up until 2010. I am sure DISH is working on getting FSN in HD. Once that happens then all will be good. Me being a season ticket holder to the Rams I would miss 8 of the Sundays being at my teams stadium. The FSNs are really nice I admit, but the ~$400 outlay for the ST + SF for a lot of NFL teams I dont care about is just not what I want. I mean on the days I dont go to the stadium, there is a noon game, 3:15 game (on each network), NFL Prime Time, the Sunday Night game and NFL Gameday Wrap-up. The Rams sell out every game so all their home games are televised. Then Monday night Football the next day. Heck, my GF thinks I watch too much football as it is. If I really wanted to and I know they are in SD I can get every FSN for $6/month. When the NFLHD schedule kicks in, we will be getting the Saturday and Thursday games as well. Does DTV have NFLHD? DISH customers got it in June.
stchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:04 PM   #4  
Red Sox in HD: Priceless
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman
Lets see, ST + SF is $379 (don't forget that). We all realize that DTV has the ST locked up until 2010. I am sure DISH is working on getting FSN in HD. Once that happens then all will be good. Me being a season ticket holder to the Rams I would miss 8 of the Sundays being at my teams stadium. The FSNs are really nice I admit, but the ~$400 outlay for the ST + SF for a lot of NFL teams I dont care about is just not what I want. I mean on the days I dont go to the stadium, there is a noon game, 3:15 game (on each network), NFL Prime Time, the Sunday Night game and NFL Gameday Wrap-up. The Rams sell out every game so all their home games are televised. Then Monday night Football the next day. Heck, my GF thinks I watch too much football as it is. If I really wanted to and I know they are in SD I can get every FSN for $6/month. When the NFLHD schedule kicks in, we will be getting the Saturday and Thursday games as well. Does DTV have NFLHD? DISH customers got it in June.
Yes, we have NFL Network in HD. They started showing random stuff during the week, but all games will be live in HD on 95 or 97.

As for the cost of ST and SF, it's far from 379. It is if you don't haggle, but I was able to get it for 249 total.

I have season tickets to the Bengals, but I still get ST because I live in Columbus, and sometimes they show the Clowns here over the Bengals depending on the game.
hitdog042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #5  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
JAG72's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 362
Default

I would have to say the Directv is still behind Dish in HD.

I will be getting STO for the last month of baseball and then that station is gone until next year. Give us FSN Ohio and FSN Cinci for the Blue Jackets and then I would be happy.
JAG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:15 PM   #6  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Jimbos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman
Lets see, ST + SF is $379 (don't forget that). We all realize that DTV has the ST locked up until 2010. I am sure DISH is working on getting FSN in HD. Once that happens then all will be good.
Where did you come up with this info ????
Last time I checked,
If you were new to ST and SF you got it for ST $ 229 and SF $99, what are you smoking with the other $ 50.

If you have had ST and SF previously you get it for 209 and SF probably FREE

Do you have anything from DISH stating that they are working on getting the RSN 's in HD ?

Jimbo
Jimbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #7  
Red Sox in HD: Priceless
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbos
Where did you come up with this info ????
Last time I checked,
If you were new to ST and SF you got it for ST $ 229 and SF $99, what are you smoking with the other $ 50.

If you have had ST and SF previously you get it for 209 and SF probably FREE

Do you have anything from DISH stating that they are working on getting the RSN 's in HD ?

Jimbo
Jimbo, seriously that is stargate (stchman) who gives false info because he's in love with Disn N.

You've seen his other posts I'm sure. He has no idea what he is talking about.

Who knows what his agenda is.

Dish may be slightly less expensive, but you get what your pay for. They don't have all the regional RSNs even in ST (only some), they don't have any HD RSN's, and they don't have the NFL.

You get what you pay for.

He also posted in the Dish side that DTV doesn't offer HD locals, just today.

He's sadly either misinformed or just a Dish employee.
hitdog042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:22 AM   #8  
I Want More HD!
 
mluntz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Md.
Posts: 486
Default

Will you be able to get the HD RSN's with the 3lnb dish, or do you have to have the 5lnb that I will never use?
mluntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:23 AM   #9  
;
 
doug30's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluntz
Will you be able to get the HD RSN's with the 3lnb dish, or do you have to have the 5lnb that I will never use?
You will need the 5LNB plus the H20, unfortunately. More money for the Dougster to shell out.
doug30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:14 AM   #10  
Cable LOL!!!!!
 
tec319's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 94
Default

My ST + Superfan cost me $249.00 the last 2 years. were are you comming up with that insaine price. $200+= is worth the whole season of NFL anyway. It would cost more than that to go to 1 game.Its not like you have to pay for it all at once they break it down in 4 payments. I have had the ST since 1998 and the SF since last year and always will, i feel it's well worth it.
tec319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:22 AM   #11  
No HD? We have a problem.
 
stchman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 52
Posts: 2,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbos
Where did you come up with this info ????
Last time I checked,
If you were new to ST and SF you got it for ST $ 229 and SF $99, what are you smoking with the other $ 50.

If you have had ST and SF previously you get it for 209 and SF probably FREE

Do you have anything from DISH stating that they are working on getting the RSN 's in HD ?

Jimbo
I went to www.directv.com and went through their menus. If you dont believe me then go there yourself and pretend you are signing up for service. The ST is $279 and SF is $99.
stchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:29 AM   #12  
No HD? We have a problem.
 
stchman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 52
Posts: 2,321
Default I guess I made this up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitdog042
Jimbo, seriously that is stargate (stchman) who gives false info because he's in love with Disn N.

You've seen his other posts I'm sure. He has no idea what he is talking about.

Who knows what his agenda is.

Dish may be slightly less expensive, but you get what your pay for. They don't have all the regional RSNs even in ST (only some), they don't have any HD RSN's, and they don't have the NFL.

You get what you pay for.

He also posted in the Dish side that DTV doesn't offer HD locals, just today.

He's sadly either misinformed or just a Dish employee.
I guess DirecTV is mis-informing me as well. You people have DTV and dont even know their prices. WOW. Shows me the knowledge that flows around here. Yes, you can get all the RSN from DISH for $6 a month extra. They are not in HD, but DISH will bring them to us soon. Check out the pic I got directly from DTVs website. Let me see $279.96 + $99 = $378.96. I am not an employee of DN. You sound like an employee of DTV. I said that DTV does not provide HD locals in all areas. Neither does DISH. If you are going to quote me, dont make stuff up to make yourself seem better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dtv_st.jpg (91.1 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by stchman; 07-11-2006 at 11:32 AM..
stchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #13  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Jimbos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman
I said that DTV does not provide HD locals in all areas.
Neither does DISH.
Stchman,
I forgot, do you have DTV ????
As for locals, by the end of '07 D* will have 210 markets via sat.
Even that IS NOT ALL MARKETS., but the top 210 in the nation, there will always be areas that will not be covered, for both sat companies.
I do not dislike DISH, I sell it .... I am a D* sub, I like it.
The way I looked at it when I signed up was this:
If I wanted Movies, I would have gone with DISH,
If I wanted Sports, I would go with D*, it's really that simple.
I need my sports fix, so I went with the Sports leader
End of my story.

Jimbo
Jimbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:51 PM   #14  
No HD? We have a problem.
 
stchman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 52
Posts: 2,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbos
Stchman,
I forgot, do you have DTV ????
As for locals, by the end of '07 D* will have 210 markets via sat.
Even that IS NOT ALL MARKETS., but the top 210 in the nation, there will always be areas that will not be covered, for both sat companies.
I do not dislike DISH, I sell it .... I am a D* sub, I like it.
The way I looked at it when I signed up was this:
If I wanted Movies, I would have gone with DISH,
If I wanted Sports, I would go with D*, it's really that simple.
I need my sports fix, so I went with the Sports leader
End of my story.

Jimbo
I am sure those are the projected figures that DTV has published. Are they set in stone? Will they have all 210 markets by then? Maybe, maybe not. The only sports that DTV has over DISH is the ST. I can get all the Fox Sports Nets from all the regions for $6 a month more. As far as all RSNs in HD, I am sure DISH is working on those. DISH offers far more HD than DTV. I spent $2500 on my HDTV and if I would have went with DTV I would have had 9 HD channels not counting locals. 11 if I decided to spend $379 on the ST+SF and buy PPV movies. Sorry but 11 HD channels is not enough, heck 28 is not enough, but no one offers more. Both outfits have units with built in ATSC tuners and my antenna gives me all my digital locals including UPN. DISH gives me 28 HD channels and 29 if I decided to buy PPV movies. I will wait for them to get me FSN in HD. As far as the ST, not worth it to me as a season ticket holder.

From an HD standpoint, DISH is the hands down winner (no contest). If you are a sports fan and the NFL means EVERYTHING to you then DTV is the winner. If you are a sports fan and the RSNs, FOX, CBS, NBC and ESPN give you enough NFL then it is a toss up. Remember DISH offers NHL Center Ice, MLB EI, NBA League Pass, ESPN Full Court, and the ESPN/ABC College football package. I mean I love the NFL, but it is not the complete Holy Grail of sports. I like all the major 4 sports and I even watch the WorldSport channel which features the Spanish Premier League in HD along with CFL action. So I think I get enough sports with DISH.
stchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #15  
Red Sox in HD: Priceless
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman
I am sure those are the projected figures that DTV has published. Are they set in stone? Will they have all 210 markets by then? Maybe, maybe not. The only sports that DTV has over DISH is the ST. I can get all the Fox Sports Nets from all the regions for $6 a month more. As far as all RSNs in HD, I am sure DISH is working on those. DISH offers far more HD than DTV. I spent $2500 on my HDTV and if I would have went with DTV I would have had 9 HD channels not counting locals. 11 if I decided to spend $379 on the ST+SF and buy PPV movies. Sorry but 11 HD channels is not enough, heck 28 is not enough, but no one offers more. Both outfits have units with built in ATSC tuners and my antenna gives me all my digital locals including UPN. DISH gives me 28 HD channels and 29 if I decided to buy PPV movies. I will wait for them to get me FSN in HD. As far as the ST, not worth it to me as a season ticket holder.

From an HD standpoint, DISH is the hands down winner (no contest). If you are a sports fan and the NFL means EVERYTHING to you then DTV is the winner. If you are a sports fan and the RSNs, FOX, CBS, NBC and ESPN give you enough NFL then it is a toss up. Remember DISH offers NHL Center Ice, MLB EI, NBA League Pass, ESPN Full Court, and the ESPN/ABC College football package. I mean I love the NFL, but it is not the complete Holy Grail of sports. I like all the major 4 sports and I even watch the WorldSport channel which features the Spanish Premier League in HD along with CFL action. So I think I get enough sports with DISH.
First of all, DTV's prices on the website are for NEW CUSTOMERS who never had the package.

Customers who have it every year get deals. Let me know when Dish gives out free HD DVR's to their existing customers.

Second, Disn N doesn't compare in sports, not even close. But hey.. at least you have the CFL and Spanish soccer in HD.



You know what they say about soccer. All it does is ruin perfectly good grass football fields.

For someone who hates DTV, why do you post so darn often on here? Why don't you stick to your own product?

Why come here and rag on the service we all have and love. That's really why everyone views you as so annoying. Seriously... It's one thing if you are here to help, it's another thing entirely when you criticize the company we sub to constantly.

So you are 2 for 2 man. 1st, you criticize posters, now you criticize a service you don't even have on THEIR board.

Criticize DTV on the Dish board.

Last edited by hitdog042; 07-11-2006 at 03:47 PM..
hitdog042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Is DTV HD passing DISH ?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is SWM & How To Install It (by request) justinbwill DirecTV Forum 85 01-09-2015 05:29 AM
HR20: Pixelization in High Def? Maddod-99 DirecTV Forum 14 05-19-2007 06:49 PM
3LNB Dish VS 5LNB dish! 3LNB seems better. sjohnson116 DirecTV Forum 17 05-16-2007 04:12 PM
Direct TV HD Nightmare brian99 DirecTV Forum 20 01-08-2007 10:53 PM
Two HR20s will not work Tmansea DirecTV Forum 8 12-01-2006 10:13 AM
blackout of channel 95 calicogang DirecTV Forum 10 07-08-2006 07:18 AM
My DTV HD Experience and Advice sought-please DCreg DirecTV Forum 9 02-03-2006 09:08 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:23 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands