High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

DirecTV Forum Discuss and learn about DirecTV High Definition Satellite TV.

Hmc hr34 hd dvr

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #1  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 516
Default Hmc hr34 hd dvr

hey everyone, I haven't really posted on here in like FOREVER. but i've always been reading different things on here great little community here. anyways here's my story i've been with directv since 2006ish, in New York at first and then in 2009 I moved to oklahoma where I kept directv for sports because i'm a diehard giant fan since like ever. my current package/setup the premier package with NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA League Pass and MLB Extra Innings. I have an HR22 in the living room and an HR24 in my bedroom. on sunday i decided just for the hell of it, to call directv to see what I could get. i talked to a CSR, he gave me the HR34 for $149 plus free installation which I thought was a really decent deal. they're coming tomorrow to install it. i'm gonna be sending the HR22 back and moving the HR24 into the living room. what all do i need to know if anything? thanks in advanced
truba11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #2  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,883
Default

I've only had mine for a few weeks and I don't use the whole home concept, just the one unit. The only problems I've heard involve the interaction with other receivers and most of them seem to be relatively minor. On a standalone basis mine has been flawless. I downloaded the beta software for the new gui which you have on the HR24 but not on the 34 and it works fine, again for the one unit.

The main reason I have the HR34 is for the college football season where the 5 tuners will solve the problem of only 2 tuners which are inadequate for so many games on at the same time and more so for the overlaps in scheduling.

My only advice is to make sure you keep proof of the return of your HR22 - seen too many horror stories of charges for returned equipment, not just by D* but all of them.

One question - why are you moving the 24 instead of just replacing the 22 with the 34?
lsilvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #3  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post
I've only had mine for a few weeks and I don't use the whole home concept, just the one unit. The only problems I've heard involve the interaction with other receivers and most of them seem to be relatively minor. On a standalone basis mine has been flawless. I downloaded the beta software for the new gui which you have on the HR24 but not on the 34 and it works fine, again for the one unit.

The main reason I have the HR34 is for the college football season where the 5 tuners will solve the problem of only 2 tuners which are inadequate for so many games on at the same time and more so for the overlaps in scheduling.

My only advice is to make sure you keep proof of the return of your HR22 - seen too many horror stories of charges for returned equipment, not just by D* but all of them.

One question - why are you moving the 24 instead of just replacing the 22 with the 34?
thx for the help i know about the stories lol i'm replacing the 22 in a sense i'm giving the HR24 to my dad and taking the hr34 for myself, returning the HR22. does that answer your question? do any of you know if there's any known problems with a slingbox and the hr34?
truba11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #4  
Cowboys Rock
 
mikellie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 98
Default

You can't just download the software for the new GUI. You just happened to get lucky. I've forced downloads for the last 3 weeks and still don't have it. I called DTV and was told that there is no scedule and I will get it eventually whenever it comes to my area.
mikellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #5  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,821
Default

we have e hd dvr's in our house and one got it when it took weeks for the others to get it. fricing it or attempting may turn the receiver into a boat anchor
just wait it out.
same thing with pandora, took weeks.
leevitalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #6  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellie View Post
You can't just download the software for the new GUI. You just happened to get lucky. I've forced downloads for the last 3 weeks and still don't have it. I called DTV and was told that there is no scedule and I will get it eventually whenever it comes to my area.
No luck involved. It's a testing program, but not supported by D* directly. The download has a different process.
lsilvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:21 AM   #7  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 516
Default

so nobody knows anything about the slingbox working with the hr34?
truba11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #8  
What ever
 
chirshey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sunning in SoCal
Posts: 916
Default

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=hr34+and+slingbox
chirshey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #9  
How can anyone watch standard def?
 
D Bone's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post
No luck involved. It's a testing program, but not supported by D* directly. The download has a different process.
Can you explain in depth?
D Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #10  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
Can you explain in depth?
Has to be done on another forum, this one not set up for it and I don't want to send anyone somewhere else. Let me check with a moderator and see if we can get it set up here or if they mind a reference to another forum.
lsilvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #11  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Palmetto, FL.
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellie View Post
You can't just download the software for the new GUI. You just happened to get lucky. I've forced downloads for the last 3 weeks and still don't have it. I called DTV and was told that there is no scedule and I will get it eventually whenever it comes to my area.
Yes you can download the GUI for the HR34. The CE versions are released usually once a week and available for download on Friday and Saturday between the hours of 11:00PM-2:30AM.
floridaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #12  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman View Post
Yes you can download the GUI for the HR34. The CE versions are released usually once a week and available for download on Friday and Saturday between the hours of 11:00PM-2:30AM.
But there are specific instructions for them, and some tips. We are working on getting the CE info on this site.
lsilvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #13  
WWW.CLEVELAND PLASMA.COM
 
Cle. Plasma's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: CLEVELAND, OHIO
Posts: 681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truba11a View Post
hey everyone, I haven't really posted on here in like FOREVER. but i've always been reading different things on here great little community here. anyways here's my story i've been with directv since 2006ish, in New York at first and then in 2009 I moved to oklahoma where I kept directv for sports because i'm a diehard giant fan since like ever. my current package/setup the premier package with NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA League Pass and MLB Extra Innings. I have an HR22 in the living room and an HR24 in my bedroom. on sunday i decided just for the hell of it, to call directv to see what I could get. i talked to a CSR, he gave me the HR34 for $149 plus free installation which I thought was a really decent deal. they're coming tomorrow to install it. i'm gonna be sending the HR22 back and moving the HR24 into the living room. what all do i need to know if anything? thanks in advanced
Wow, that's a great deal from them. Normally they want a lot more than that.......
Cle. Plasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:08 AM   #14  
Overdue Degauss
 
isszguy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truba11a View Post
... on sunday i decided just for the hell of it, to call directv to see what I could get. i talked to a CSR, he gave me the HR34 for $149 plus free installation which I thought was a really decent deal.
Did you actually receive the HR34? Toward the end of the year, I tried to do the same deal. The agent I spoke with said I would get the HR34. However, instead of an installer coming out, I would do the installation myself. I already had a SWM switch with my HR22. A couple of days later, the box arrives and it's NOT the HR34.

Instead, it's a rather beat-up HR22. I immediately send it back. Since then I've read a lot of negative reports about the HR34. I have no need to record 5 channels at once, but every once in a while, I could use the ability to record 3 channels.

If you did get the HR34, have you had any serious problems with it? Maybe I'll give DTV another chance to send me a real HR34
isszguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:20 AM   #15  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 516
Default

hey guys sorry for the delay i wanted to use it for a week before giving you guys an update, as I said the guy came last week from directv, unfortunately the guy took literally 9 hours to do the installation. that's the longest any directv installation has taken in the 6 years i've had directv. i really don't think he had a clue of what he was doing, but he was a really nice guy and I actually ended up giving him dinner after the installation lol. he setup whole home dvr service a SWM and the HR34. he intially told me that I would have to pay $300 to activate whole home dvr service and right away i knew that didn't sound right. so after everything was setup i've had a week to re-schedule my tv shows and play around with the HR34. i honestly think it's the greatest DVR ever made. the lack of conflicts is just pure awesome by itself, i now schedule things I would have never watched otherwise. the speed is ridiculous everything is instant the guide changing channels and deleting shows is 1-3 seconds. i can watch sports without conflicts so i'm really happy. the only bug i noticed it's really minor, it'll sometimes double record a show, but overall it's pure awesome. the only thing i'm waiting for now is the HD guide. i paid $149 and free installation i can provide screenshots etc i hope that helps everyone around here.
truba11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:49 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands