High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Changed my mind - need HDTV suggestions

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2004, 10:30 PM   #1  
HD for dummies
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 14
Default Changed my mind - need HDTV suggestions

I recently bought a Panasonic CT-32HXC14 (specs HERE) and I'm not really satisfied with it. I got it on sale at circuit city for $750. Basically, any time the screen is letterboxed, dvd or cable, the picture has a line or two at the top and bottom that is brighter than the rest of the picture, right before the screen goes black; nothing appauling, just noticeable. Thinking it might be the unit, I took my original back, waited for them to order another, and hooked it up today - same problem. I think I may return it and get a different brand.
So, here are the constraints:
32"-36" Flat screen (not flat panel)
HDTV ready or integrated
4:3 aspect ratio (not interested in widescreen tv)
multiple inputs for dvd/cable/etc/etc - The panasonic had a ton of inputs (something like 4 analog, 2 S-video, 2 component, coax, and DVI) which I liked for if/when I add vhs and gaming devices.
And price has to be under $900 - I'd prefer to remain around the $750-799 range if possible but understand that quality can cost more.
(Edit: I suppose I could settle for a 30" if it was just jaw-dropping in quality/reviews, but I do like the size of the Panasonic. But, if you have a knockout 30" in my price range, feel free to suggest it.)

Thanks for the suggestions,

Last edited by SweetMeef; 10-16-2004 at 10:34 PM..
SweetMeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 12:14 PM   #2  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bennett, CO
Posts: 37
Default

The Sony KV-32HS420

Or the Samsung TX-P3264

Seem like pretty good TV's.
Symbios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 10:29 AM   #3  
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9
Default

hey sweetMeef. this set is top class it will run in all thease modes
1080i,720p, 480i 480p .plenty of inputs and outputs and only $699.
i use a upconverting DVD player so i no it runs at 720p too
http://www.sanyo.com/entertainment/t...?productID=904
hope it helps.
Gothmogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:29 PM   #4  
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1
Default

I just put that one on lay-a-way at walmart for $550.00.

Im not poor, i had to use lay-a-way cause it was the last one there and I have an 05 GT Mustang so it won't fit in the car...
Boozshey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 12:20 AM   #5  
Mr. Wizard
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ferndale, Michigan
Age: 71
Posts: 5,981
Default

Buying a 4:3 TV semi-compatible with the HDTV spec is a REALLY BAD IDEA!

The ATSC digital TV spec requires widescreen. All HDTV is widescreen. 4:3 TVs show a really tiny image for the digital signals with lots of detail & fill the screen with low res analog... in comparison the HD always looks too tiny & the SD looks fuzzy. And a PITA to use, you'll have to mess with the aspect all the time.
RSawdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:03 AM   #6  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,036
Default

SweetMeef - just curious as to why you are not interested in widescreen?
ja2935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:48 PM   #7  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 661
Default Panasonics are very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMeef
I recently bought a Panasonic CT-32HXC14 (specs HERE) and I'm not really satisfied with it. I got it on sale at circuit city for $750. Basically, any time the screen is letterboxed, dvd or cable, the picture has a line or two at the top and bottom that is brighter than the rest of the picture, right before the screen goes black; nothing appauling, just noticeable. Thinking it might be the unit, I took my original back, waited for them to order another, and hooked it up today - same problem. I think I may return it and get a different brand.
So, here are the constraints:
32"-36" Flat screen (not flat panel)
HDTV ready or integrated
4:3 aspect ratio (not interested in widescreen tv)
multiple inputs for dvd/cable/etc/etc - The panasonic had a ton of inputs (something like 4 analog, 2 S-video, 2 component, coax, and DVI) which I liked for if/when I add vhs and gaming devices.
And price has to be under $900 - I'd prefer to remain around the $750-799 range if possible but understand that quality can cost more.
(Edit: I suppose I could settle for a 30" if it was just jaw-dropping in quality/reviews, but I do like the size of the Panasonic. But, if you have a knockout 30" in my price range, feel free to suggest it.)

Thanks for the suggestions,
I wouldn't bail on Panasonic, they are a superior brand. I also agree with other posts that widescreen 16:9 is the way to go. I would recommend a 30 or 34" SONY KV- 30 or 34HS420, Pansonic CT- 30 or 34WX15, or Toshiba 30 or 34HF85. Throw out the Samsung. If you think you have problems with Panasonic, wait 'till you get a Samsung. Also, I am not convinced that the "lines" are caused by your Panasonic TV but rather interference from the input. Further, yes the 30" Panny has "just jaw-dropping in quality/reviews".
Emsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:54 AM   #8  
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7
Default Keep the Panasonic

I would stick with the Panasonic if you're going to go with 4:3 ratio. I owned one and never experienced the bright lines you mention. I agree that it's probably in the cables, try better quality connections. When it comes to HD broadcast I still compare anything I'm looking for now to the quality of the panasonic. It's crystal clear, displays bright colors and HD broadcasts are dazzling. If you're basing your opinion on watching DVDs, go call comcast or your cable/satellite provider and get an HD box immediately.

On a related subject, has anyone else experienced this? For the first 2 months or so of having HD I found myself watching the most boring programming ever simply because it was in HD. Lets face it, sunsets around the world are only interesting in HD.
calgoldenbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:58 AM   #9  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 661
Default Hah hah hah, For the first week

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgoldenbear
I would stick with the Panasonic if you're going to go with 4:3 ratio. I owned one and never experienced the bright lines you mention. I agree that it's probably in the cables, try better quality connections. When it comes to HD broadcast I still compare anything I'm looking for now to the quality of the panasonic. It's crystal clear, displays bright colors and HD broadcasts are dazzling. If you're basing your opinion on watching DVDs, go call comcast or your cable/satellite provider and get an HD box immediately.

On a related subject, has anyone else experienced this? For the first 2 months or so of having HD I found myself watching the most boring programming ever simply because it was in HD. Lets face it, sunsets around the world are only interesting in HD.
For the first week. Yes. I guess you're either from California or you attend University of California
Emsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:58 PM   #10  
Yellow Submarine
 
jim5506's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lubbock, Texas
Posts: 3,693
Default

Since your'e watching on a 4:3 screen there will always be shadowboxing along the top and bottom when you watch anHD picture, unless you zoom it.

My Sony D-50 CRT projector shows light lines on all four sides of all digital pictures, its overscan.

Why not go with a 16:9 join the 21st century.
jim5506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:00 PM   #11  
TimeWarnerStinks
 
doggie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim5506
Why not go with a 16:9 join the 21st century.
I bought my 36" Sony 4:3 CRT 3 years ago and have no regrets. The picture is superb, and I say even today, more than 3/4 of all my DVD and TV programs are in the 4:3 format. Almost all of my favorite TV series on DVD are in 4:3, most if not all of my music DVDs are in 4:3, and ALL of my porn DVDs are 4:3. But if I were buying a set today, I might consider going bigger with LCD even though picture quality is inferior to CRT (IMHO).
doggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Changed my mind - need HDTV suggestions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need some help :( raven1221 Flat-Panel TVs 13 11-10-2009 08:24 PM
Suggestions for entertainment setup please? Sprigan43 Gaming & Systems 29 12-30-2007 09:20 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:38 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands