High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Computers/HTPCs A place to discuss your computer setups, PC requirements, ATI Wonder Card, etc.

Laptop as Blu Iso player. Any concerns?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #1  
You know who you are...
Thread Starter
 
elwaylite's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lower Alabama
Posts: 1,377
Default Laptop as Blu Iso player. Any concerns?

I have a Dune, but got bored yesterday and started reading on HTPC's. I then realized my new Dell XPS 15z laptop has all the power for Blu-ray Iso playback and was wondering if there are any negatives (other than the obvious like ease of start and controlling it) to using it as an option.

I did some testing yesterday, my Nvidia GT 525M is plenty capable of 1080p/24 playback out of the HDMI port, and passes DTSHD and TrueHD bitstream to my AVR. Once I got everything configured between the Nvidia Control Panel and Power DVD Ultra (playing mounted Iso), set it to 1080p/24, bitstream and ycbcr 444, I thought it looked pretty awesome.

With Ultra I have the iphone remote app, and I can pause/stop/play and all that good stuff from my phone. other than the Dune being easier to startup and play, I cant see any reason why the laptop is not an option as well. Id have to do some back and forth, but I almost thought the laptop image was a little more clean.
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #2  
Boob Whisperer....
 
mytime's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jackson, Missouri
Posts: 11,051
Default

Honestly Elway if you are going to go through the trouble of hooking the laptop up to the AVR everytime I would just use the Dune. I'm lazy that way though.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #3  
You know who you are...
Thread Starter
 
elwaylite's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lower Alabama
Posts: 1,377
Default

Haha, yeah, it's a little more involved, but what I do see is the media players are less forgiving to some discs as a HTPC. Granted to Dune will play an Iso fine generally, there might be times you have to stop and switch BD Lite menus, and it's load times are like blu players 4 years ago lol.

By the time I set the laptop on the stand, plug up the HDMI and switch displays, Id still be getting going on the Dune. I have a bluetooth mouse I can use from my chair to open Power DVD and all that jazz.
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #4  
Boob Whisperer....
 
mytime's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jackson, Missouri
Posts: 11,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
Haha, yeah, it's a little more involved, but what I do see is the media players are less forgiving to some discs as a HTPC. Granted to Dune will play an Iso fine generally, there might be times you have to stop and switch BD Lite menus, and it's load times are like blu players 4 years ago lol.

By the time I set the laptop on the stand, plug up the HDMI and switch displays, Id still be getting going on the Dune. I have a bluetooth mouse I can use from my chair to open Power DVD and all that jazz.
You are a more patient man then me. If it took that long I would just stick with the disc player.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #5  
You know who you are...
Thread Starter
 
elwaylite's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lower Alabama
Posts: 1,377
Default

Haha. Well, lets face it, converting each Blu to iso is not exactly a fast process

I just though it was cool as hell when I started the move yesterday and my laptop was sending out 1080p/24 and lossless audio. Looked and sounded great, things have come a long way.

Another speed issue, is I first have to copy Iso to laptop HDD, then transfer to Dune HDD, more time. So, I think it's a wash either way. I'll have to try a few from the laptop and see what I think.
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #6  
You know who you are...
Thread Starter
 
elwaylite's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lower Alabama
Posts: 1,377
Default

Another note, and you know I like to waste money, is I hate redundancy. If my laptop is plenty good for me, I can sell the Dune and hard drive for $400 and move on.

I also thought about building a HTPC dedicated for movie file playback.
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #7  
Boob Whisperer....
 
mytime's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jackson, Missouri
Posts: 11,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
Haha. Well, lets face it, converting each Blu to iso is not exactly a fast process

I just though it was cool as hell when I started the move yesterday and my laptop was sending out 1080p/24 and lossless audio. Looked and sounded great, things have come a long way.

Another speed issue, is I first have to copy Iso to laptop HDD, then transfer to Dune HDD, more time. So, I think it's a wash either way. I'll have to try a few from the laptop and see what I think.
Oh I agree. If it wasn't such a hoop jumping nightmare I would do it through my PS3. My problem is I don't watch enough movies to justify buying a DMP ATM.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #8  
You know who you are...
Thread Starter
 
elwaylite's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lower Alabama
Posts: 1,377
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
Oh I agree. If it wasn't such a hoop jumping nightmare I would do it through my PS3. My problem is I don't watch enough movies to justify buying a DMP ATM.
The only thing I like about it, is when I get flicks in, I convert them to Iso that day, and store them on the drive. Whenever we feel like it, I can fire it up and have several to choose from at my finger tips without digging around in the other room. I also let folks borrow flicks, so I might not see it for 2-3 weeks lol
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #9  
Boob Whisperer....
 
mytime's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jackson, Missouri
Posts: 11,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
Another note, and you know I like to waste money, is I hate redundancy. If my laptop is plenty good for me, I can sell the Dune and hard drive for $400 and move on.

I also thought about building a HTPC dedicated for movie file playback.
That is what I was thinking about. My current desktop has the hardware. I am thinking of replacing it for a gaming rig.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #10  
You know who you are...
Thread Starter
 
elwaylite's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lower Alabama
Posts: 1,377
Default

I was looking at an alienware x51. The Nvidia card it comes with would allow me to game if I wanted too (i never seem to have time), and be more than enough juice to play blu-ray iso's.

PowerDVD Ultra is nice too, but it's $100

If you just watch the occasional blu, it's prob not worth it, but if you wanted to build a media catalog at your fingertips, it's not a bad idea. Plus there are a lot of other things a HTPC can do as well.

From what Ive read, the newer Intel HD 4000 chips with the 3rd gen i3/i5/i7's offer on board video almost of the power of my GT 525 mobile. So for a HTPC now, you dont even need a standalone card anymore. I've read that intel and amd have issues with 24hz output though, my nvidia was smooth as butter yesterday. Cool thing about a HTPC, is you can yank the card out and get another the next year if you want the new model.
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #11  
Boob Whisperer....
 
mytime's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jackson, Missouri
Posts: 11,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
I was looking at an alienware x51. The Nvidia card it comes with would allow me to game if I wanted too (i never seem to have time), and be more than enough juice to play blu-ray iso's.

PowerDVD Ultra is nice too, but it's $100

If you just watch the occasional blu, it's prob not worth it, but if you wanted to build a media catalog at your fingertips, it's not a bad idea. Plus there are a lot of other things a HTPC can do as well.

From what Ive read, the newer Intel HD 4000 chips with the 3rd gen i3/i5/i7's offer on board video almost of the power of my GT 525 mobile. So for a HTPC now, you dont even need a standalone card anymore. I've read that intel and amd have issues with 24hz output though, my nvidia was smooth as butter yesterday. Cool thing about a HTPC, is you can yank the card out and get another the next year if you want the new model.
Yeah a HTPC would also do vudu and Amazon as well as stream and play BDs. Could maybe also rip my DVD-As and free up some space on the HT rack.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #12  
You know who you are...
Thread Starter
 
elwaylite's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lower Alabama
Posts: 1,377
Default

Yepp.

Also, the newer media player chips like the Sigma (Dune and PCH) are starting to talk DRM, so I dunno if you'll see Cinavia in new model media players too. I think with a HTPC, I dont have to worry about any protection currently.
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands