High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Car Forum Talk about your favorite cars, setups, garages (got pics?)!

What Are You Paying For Regular Gas These Days?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #31  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
gameguru1360's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 1,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabG View Post
I would like to see how you guy's would bitch if you lived
in the UK up to 5($10) a gallon you don't no how lucky you
are!.


RabG.
yeah but then if you saw the kind of healthcare WE get in the states compared to the UK, how education is paid for in the UK as opposed to the escalating fees per unit here in the states and how poorly the education system is in the states, $10 a gallon doesn't seem so bad. UK doesn't have to worry about jobs being taken away by illegals and having to drive 40+ miles to find a decent job now with the rising price of gas.
gameguru1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #32  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabG View Post
I would like to see how you guy's would bitch if you lived
in the UK up to 5($10) a gallon you don't no how lucky you
are!.


RabG.
Maybe because your government is taking a big slab of meat, and giving you guys the hot beef injection.
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #33  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguru1360 View Post
yeah but then if you saw the kind of healthcare WE get in the states compared to the UK,

We arguably have the best healthcare in the world, to a point that many Canadians and Europeans come here for health care needs. Before healthcare can be socialized, it must drop in price or it will never work.


how education is paid for in the UK as opposed to the escalating fees per unit here in the states and how poorly the education system is in the states

This is a big problem, and it isn't because we arn't pumping enough money into the school systems. The entire education system in America needs to be revised, and I am in favour of modeling a new educational system similar to what Germany has. You have rotten teachers which are part of the problem, but education is not really stressed as much in our society. You also have corrupt unions like the NEA that have corrupted the school systems in many school districts, like some here in OH. A lot of this also is a problem at home where many parents don't give a damn what their kids do, and are more and more trying to turn the TV into a babysitter.

, $10 a gallon doesn't seem so bad.

It is very bad considering the size of the US. We are not some itty bitty island nation with large population density. The US is one huge chunk of dirt. Consider that because of the vast distances involved in transporting goods, how badly fuel prices this high would effect our economy. Our economy has worked well in the past because of the historically cheap cost of fuel.


UK doesn't have to worry about jobs being taken away by illegals and having to drive 40+ miles to find a decent job now with the rising price of gas.

Unfortunately, this is a HUGE problem here in the US. Unfortunately, none of the damn politicians give a flying flick about addressing this problem because the new powerful political base is increasingly becoming the Latinos. I have been strongly in favour of immigration reform using the Canadian immigration system as a good starting point. Immigration is good for a country, unless you are letting the wrong people in. We need educated talent, not another person who is going to compete for a subminimum wage job, and will likely require Welfare and medicaid assistance. The children of many of these immigrants is why latino gangs are becoming the new huge problem(like MS13) instead of the traditional gangs like the Bloods and Crips.
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #34  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Frank123's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio (The Buckeye State)
Age: 87
Posts: 45
Default

When I first got my driver's license which was back in 1947, gas was less than $0.20 a gallen if my memory serves me correctly. However, the job I had at the time was paying $0.73 per hour.
Frank123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #35  
US Coast Guard -retired-
 
scootski's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northshore Lake Superior, Minneosta, USA
Posts: 692
Default

USA Gasoline Prices - Updated Daily
BOOKMARK THIS IN YOU FAVORITES:

http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/

and then buy your 100MPG scooter
scootski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #36  
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguru1360 View Post
yeah but then if you saw the kind of healthcare WE get in the states compared to the UK, how education is paid for in the UK as opposed to the escalating fees per unit here in the states and how poorly the education system is in the states, $10 a gallon doesn't seem so bad. UK doesn't have to worry about jobs being taken away by illegals and having to drive 40+ miles to find a decent job now with the rising price of gas.

Hi gameguru1360

OK we have the NHS but sometimes you have to wait for treatment
University education has to be paid for by the student
(unless you live in Scotland) the average student will have
about 15,000 (approx $30,000) of debt
when they start their first job!!!

Last year alone about 100,000 Polish people came to the UK
to work then you have all the others as well from eastern europe,
middle east & far east. Some people in ENGLAND commute way
more than 40 miles to get to work some have 2-4 hr train or car journeys .
The problem is most people in the states have NO idea about other countries
you made assumptions and you were totally wrong!

RabG.
RabG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #37  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,119
Default

I'm glad you pointed that out as it is very true that many people here misunderstand the systems that are in Europe. There was a study released a while ago about the NHS in parts of europe that I quoted in a thread a while ago that went into how the NHS system forces many doctors to actually ration their services, which have caused some interesting waiting lines, not to mention treatements that are not in the best interest of a patient who doesn't have much time. A good example is how they would treat something like a Kidney stone vs. how they would do it here in the states. People actually come to the US to pay to remove their kidney stones because you can't be waiting weeks for the most cost efficient method of removing it when you are in excruciating pain. This is why I believe we can never socialize medicine here in the US, because people in the US are used to getting service quickly, and using the most cutting edge methods available, which is a very large reason why healthcare costs so much here. What I am in favour for is to provide subsidy assistance for people who cannot afford healthcare, so that they can use the subsidy to buy insurance through the private sector. Of course, you first have to figure out how you are going to pay for it...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabG View Post
Hi gameguru1360

OK we have the NHS but sometimes you have to wait for treatment
University education has to be paid for by the student
(unless you live in Scotland) the average student will have
about 15,000 (approx $30,000) of debt
when they start their first job!!!

Last year alone about 100,000 Polish people came to the UK
to work then you have all the others as well from eastern europe,
middle east & far east. Some people in ENGLAND commute way
more than 40 miles to get to work some have 2-4 hr train or car journeys .
The problem is most people in the states have NO idea about other countries
you made assumptions and you were totally wrong!

RabG.
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:02 AM   #38  
iFanboy
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,240
Default

Currently Regular Unleaded is sitting at between $3.06-$3.09 depending on where you shop here.

Diesel is tinkering below the $4 mark sitting at $3.99 at most places. I remember bitching about Unleaded being $1.58... hell if I didn't wish those prices were back now.

My Mazda6 isn't too bad on gas considering its the V6 model. I'm averaging around 28MPG... freeway mileage obviously, costing around $38 to top it off.

Last edited by Liquidx; 03-16-2008 at 01:13 AM..
Liquidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #39  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidx View Post
Currently Regular Unleaded is sitting at between $3.06-$3.09 depending on where you shop here.

Diesel is tinkering below the $4 mark sitting at $3.99 at most places. I remember bitching about Unleaded being $1.58... hell if I didn't wish those prices were back now.

My Mazda6 isn't too bad on gas considering its the V6 model. I'm averaging around 28MPG... freeway mileage obviously, costing around $38 to top it off.
Is that one of the newer ones with a 6 speed automatic?

Diesel here in Cincinnati is at $3.99 a gallon, and 87 octane petrol is at $3.45 a gallon.
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #40  
digital DX'n is alive
 
smdp1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greenhill, AL.
Posts: 705
Default

3.23 here now...and going up daily.......Fight high Gas Prices, drive a Honda.
smdp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #41  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdp1 View Post
3.23 here now...and going up daily.......Fight high Gas Prices, drive a Honda.
Or you could also drive a Ford Focus, or even an old Ford Escort. Bottom line, anything fuel efficient works as it doesn't HAVE to be a Honda
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #42  
digital DX'n is alive
 
smdp1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greenhill, AL.
Posts: 705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
Or you could also drive a Ford Focus, or even an old Ford Escort. Bottom line, anything fuel efficient works as it doesn't HAVE to be a Honda
...LOL>..I know that...it just makes a catchy slogan.....Fight high Gas Prices, Drive Ford doesn't sound right....or Toyota...or Dodge...etc...Its mostly because they all make large gas guzzlers too...and I don't think that Honda makes any large guzzlers (they may, I just don't know). I had a chevy cavalier that got 31 mpg on the HWY....got rid of it at 186K miles because of multiple maintenance issues I didn't have the money to fix. Also had a Ford Tempo that did ok on gas...it got 28mpg and probably would have done better if I had know how to tune it up properly, but I was a teen then and didn't know much about cars.

Last edited by smdp1; 03-16-2008 at 06:19 PM..
smdp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #43  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdp1 View Post
...LOL>..I know that...it just makes a catchy slogan.....Fight high Gas Prices, Drive Ford doesn't sound right....or Toyota...or Dodge...etc...Its mostly because they all make large gas guzzlers too...and I don't think that Honda makes any large guzzlers (they may, I just don't know). I had a chevy cavalier that got 31 mpg on the HWY....got rid of it at 186K miles because of multiple maintenance issues I didn't have the money to fix. Also had a Ford Tempo that did ok on gas...it got 28mpg and probably would have done better if I had know how to tune it up properly, but I was a teen then and didn't know much about cars.
The thing with me, is that I am a hardcore blue oval fan. People swear that my blood bleeds Ford blue. Ford actually does very well from a fuel economy standpoint. So does GM. The problem with Ford's abysmal CAFE averages is that Ford sells more trucks than anyone else, which is definately going to drag down their average. After all, Ford arguably sells the best full size, and clearly the best heavy duty pickup on the market. Others may have bigger engines with more horsepower, but those F series trucks are incredible in terms to having fundamental pickup features.

The reason for older Honda's doing better than older American cars, is that they have had a good head start and have had much more experience building smaller cars. Remember that the Japanese imports never really caught on here in the US until the mid 70's OPEC oil embargo doubled petrol prices and forced people to lose "half" of an engine. Now days, they are getting very close, with different manufacturers have different advantages.
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:55 PM   #44  
iFanboy
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
Is that one of the newer ones with a 6 speed automatic?
I have the 5 speed manual, but the 6 speed automatic is available on the 07 line.

The 6 speed automatics also have the "sport shift" option to them.

Last edited by Liquidx; 03-17-2008 at 12:00 AM..
Liquidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:14 AM   #45  
digital DX'n is alive
 
smdp1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greenhill, AL.
Posts: 705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
The thing with me, is that I am a hardcore blue oval fan. People swear that my blood bleeds Ford blue. Ford actually does very well from a fuel economy standpoint. So does GM. The problem with Ford's abysmal CAFE averages is that Ford sells more trucks than anyone else, which is definately going to drag down their average. After all, Ford arguably sells the best full size, and clearly the best heavy duty pickup on the market. Others may have bigger engines with more horsepower, but those F series trucks are incredible in terms to having fundamental pickup features.

The reason for older Honda's doing better than older American cars, is that they have had a good head start and have had much more experience building smaller cars. Remember that the Japanese imports never really caught on here in the US until the mid 70's OPEC oil embargo doubled petrol prices and forced people to lose "half" of an engine. Now days, they are getting very close, with different manufacturers have different advantages.
I have a unique perspective, I was a used car salesman and my brother is a mechanic...so I see all types of cars and what there problems are....so I pick and choose between the automakers and year models to get the best used cars.....I end up with all kinds of makes and models, but generally all have improved greatly since the 1980's...
smdp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to What Are You Paying For Regular Gas These Days?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone altering their driving habits due to outrageous gas prices? junehhan Car Forum 424 05-04-2013 09:21 PM
The health care thread Cygnus No Topic Forum 303 07-22-2009 07:43 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:46 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands