High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Car Forum Talk about your favorite cars, setups, garages (got pics?)!

Anyone altering their driving habits due to outrageous gas prices?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 06:45 AM   #211  
HD Fan
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 1,023
Default Image or transportation (or both)?

junehhan,
Your picture of the marketing spin to sell trucks is right on. Emphasis on towing capacity, ruggedness. Contrast this with the ads selling a high end car like a Mercedes or BMW, where handling on curvy mountain roads is highlighted.

It all comes down to how you view cars / trucks. Are they a way of expressing your personality (or what you want it to be), or are they just transportation? Or both?

I have a lot of friends who have 4 wheel drive SUVs so they can get around "in case we get an ice storm". We have had one ice storm here in Little Rock in the last 4 years, and none of these people drove their expensive SUVs that day. I had to go home from work in my Caravan, which did fine.

But I don't have a problem with their owning SUVs or any vehicle they chose to buy. As you said, it helps drive the economy and is a matter of personal choice. And I cannot "throw stones" at people who put money and effort into cars, since I am guilty of the same with electronics and my house.
SLedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #212  
F91
Plasmatic
 
F91's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 2,624
Default

Unotis- No "problem". I'm trying to illustrate Nuclear proponents hypocrisy. It's safe to transport and store "but only in specific places" None of which happen to be where the proponents live. Is it safe, or isn't it? BTW, out here in Washington state, we have Hanford, it's a Superfund site. Look it up.
OT- Florida's ground water level used to be much higher, but millions of people later, not so much.....



Quote:
Originally Posted by unotis View Post
The truth of the matter is, you put Radioactive waste where it will not do any harm.

Where there is no chance of ground water contamination, like in the desert in New Mexico, where ground water ( if there is any) moves like several inches yearly.

If you are the great "native born and raised Floridian", then you would know Florida does in fact have some small amount of ground water (like billions upon billions of gallons).

This is not a case of I don't want the waste in my state, it is a case of put it where it could be safely kept for years and years with no problems at all.

I said I thought you were pulling my leg, so what is the problem?
F91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:42 AM   #213  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,120
Default

The fact that we had a rough winter this year really made my glad I chose an SUV instead of the other alternatives. We had several large snow storms, and a couple ice storms which made me so glad I had an AWD system(i'm not a fan of part time 4x4 sytems). The fact that I was able to climb the long steep hill to my house made it worth it, as everyone else was stuck halfway up the hill. Even an Audi S4 had stopped halfway up as it just couldn't navigate the hill with the unplowed snow. Our winters normally are rather mild(precipitation wise), but it always feels good when you finally have a chance to put that SUV to use for what it was designed for.

Unfortunately, I used to know too many people who always told me they bought their utility vehicle for the weather, only for me to see them driving some old beater when the weather did get bad. For me, I see my vehicle as an extension of my personality as I am embarrassed to say. However, I think that will probably be true for most any hardcore automotive enthusiast out there as the vehicle they drive will be an extension of their personality. I'm thankful that I have a Focus to daily drive, but boy do I get a shot of expresso when I do take out my 400hp SUV. It all comes down to preference of each individual person. I get so irritated when people judge me based on what I drive, when I don't judge them for what they do. I had some chick at school try to critisize me for driving a fuel hog, which was when I shot straight back and told her that it's no more selfish than her drinking $4-5 cups of Starbucks everyday when she could send it to some starving kid in sub-Sahara Africa.

I suppose though that my biggest addiction lies with my desire for high-powered vehicles that are affordable. There used to be a broad offering, but that is now gone. Ford has pretty much eliminated their SVT division(can't afford the $46k Shelby Cobra, or $159k GT), performance imports(German and Japan) are way out of my budget, and Chrysler's SRT line is also flat out of my price range(partially due to the hefty gas guzzler tax). It just so happened that out of the wide variety of vehicles I was considering last year, my TBSS made the most economical sense based on the fact that I wouldn't daily drive it, it came with a ton of incentives, and that I need a vehicle that will be relatively cheap to insure and maintain over the next 5 years. Apparantly, my insurance company doesn't know the difference between the regular TB and the TBSS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLedford View Post
junehhan,
Your picture of the marketing spin to sell trucks is right on. Emphasis on towing capacity, ruggedness. Contrast this with the ads selling a high end car like a Mercedes or BMW, where handling on curvy mountain roads is highlighted.

It all comes down to how you view cars / trucks. Are they a way of expressing your personality (or what you want it to be), or are they just transportation? Or both?

I have a lot of friends who have 4 wheel drive SUVs so they can get around "in case we get an ice storm". We have had one ice storm here in Little Rock in the last 4 years, and none of these people drove their expensive SUVs that day. I had to go home from work in my Caravan, which did fine.

But I don't have a problem with their owning SUVs or any vehicle they chose to buy. As you said, it helps drive the economy and is a matter of personal choice. And I cannot "throw stones" at people who put money and effort into cars, since I am guilty of the same with electronics and my house.
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #214  
UNOTIS
 
unotis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: FLORIDA
Age: 64
Posts: 4,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F91 View Post
Unotis- No "problem". I'm trying to illustrate Nuclear proponents hypocrisy. It's safe to transport and store "but only in specific places" None of which happen to be where the proponents live. Is it safe, or isn't it? BTW, out here in Washington state, we have Hanford, it's a Superfund site. Look it up.
OT- Florida's ground water level used to be much higher, but millions of people later, not so much.....
What hypocrisy? I don't believe there is any, of course they want to bury in specific areas just like they cannot bury people underground in New Orleans because of the water level, the caskets would just pop back out of the ground (like sticking a cork under water). Does that mean that people are against burying people underground there? No, it's just not as feasible.

And Florida still has the largest aquifer underground of anywhere in the United States, maybe the level of the ground water has gone down but it is still there in the billions upon billions of gallons.

Why would anyone find it strange that the government would look for the very safest most stable place to bury the spent nuclear fuel, perhaps they are straying a little on the cautious side but it is always better to be safe then sorry.

The incredible advatages of using Nuclear power over the very small disadvantages means if they're against it they are totally ignorant and not willing to learn.

And for the people that say things like "We shouldn't use nuclear power because of possibilities of terrorist attacks on nuclear power plants" I say, should we then stop building high rise buildings because the most successful terrorist attacks came against two of them and they caused thousands of lives being lost. Everything is open to terrorist attack so that reason is moot.

Last edited by unotis; 06-18-2007 at 11:13 AM..
unotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #215  
Super Moderator
 
bruceames's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 17,128
Default

It would be nice, but there is advantage to small in that this area has many narrow, winding streets in the hills and much of my side work is there. My bed is 87 inches long and doors will fit lying flat but the suck part is that there's no rear cab whatsoever. I don't use a tool rack but instead use a couple of plywood boxes loaded with my tools which I hurl in the back of my truck when I go out (If I have doors/windows loaded, I put a junk door on top and put all my tools on top. It's better that way because I use many of the tools in the shop during my day job. Anyway the S10 has a V6 Vortex and can haul 5900 lbs, so it's does have decent power.

Maybe in a few years I'll trade it in after it's paid for, but I really like to drive it so I don't think about it very much.



Quote:
Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
I highly recommend that you trade in that S10 for a nice F150 or HD Silverado. It will increase your manhood by 25% and will increase your sex appeal for 40% as well as overall confidence going up 15%. You get the picture, but part of our lust for large vehicles is in how driving these vehicles are percieved by others. We seem to be an incredibly image oriented society as well, where mommy often cares more about what Babs(Barbra Streisand) did last weekend than what grades her kid just got in school. The other issue as I stated earlier is that America is an incredibly spread out country with wide open spaces. You can often drive from tip to tip of many other countries in a few hours, but that simply doesn't happen here. Because of our spread out lifestyle(which is partially responsible for urban sprawl), our lifestyles often also demand these types of vehicles which goes hand in hand with the high level of disposable income that most American's have in comparison to the rest of the world. You can't tow that trailer or that boat with a car, and fuel efficiency requirements have basically made the full body on frame car obsolete. I will honestly cry if Ford even discontinues the Crown Vic, because that car has a special place in the heart of automotive enthusiasts who have appreciate such robustness(I owned one before selling it to my father).

The bottom line is that people should not be restricted, as the market will do a good enough job of that. High gas prices are forcing people to rethink their car buying strategy even without the government forcing new regulations. Look at how much SUV and truck sales have dropped. Of course the CUV segment is exploding, but these vehicles are a nice compromise as they provide almost the utility of an SUV, and almost the fuel economy of a larger car.
bruceames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:28 AM   #216  
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,374
Default

Seems GM is getting serious about fuel cell powered cars:

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-973...?tag=cnetfd.mt
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #217  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,120
Default

The advantage you have is that you live in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, sitting on a hill overlooking the SF bay area. Of course, my understanding is that area is also ricer central with all of those kids running around with their annoying bumble bee sounding cars. Even if you are in an apartment, it's still a beautiful area. I suppose a larger truck would be a little difficult, but the higher more commanding view might give you a more beautiful view of the surroundings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
It would be nice, but there is advantage to small in that this area has many narrow, winding streets in the hills and much of my side work is there. My bed is 87 inches long and doors will fit lying flat but the suck part is that there's no rear cab whatsoever. I don't use a tool rack but instead use a couple of plywood boxes loaded with my tools which I hurl in the back of my truck when I go out (If I have doors/windows loaded, I put a junk door on top and put all my tools on top. It's better that way because I use many of the tools in the shop during my day job. Anyway the S10 has a V6 Vortex and can haul 5900 lbs, so it's does have decent power.

Maybe in a few years I'll trade it in after it's paid for, but I really like to drive it so I don't think about it very much.
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:41 PM   #218  
Super Moderator
 
bruceames's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 17,128
Default

I can't complain, but I'm really thinking about getting into the housing market, and since my truck has low miles and only 1 1/2 years to pay on it, it would be ideal to have less bills to pay when the big house note comes in. I'll definitely wait at least until it's paid off, but I am thinking of getting my wife a new car (swapping the 2003 Hyundai Elantra for something in the low to mids 20s). BTW, what's a ricer? (I probably should know what it means, but I don't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
The advantage you have is that you live in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, sitting on a hill overlooking the SF bay area. Of course, my understanding is that area is also ricer central with all of those kids running around with their annoying bumble bee sounding cars. Even if you are in an apartment, it's still a beautiful area. I suppose a larger truck would be a little difficult, but the higher more commanding view might give you a more beautiful view of the surroundings.
bruceames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:24 PM   #219  
Administrator
 
rbinck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 17,000
Default

A ricer is a Japanese car like Honda.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:10 AM   #220  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
A ricer is a Japanese car like Honda.
Actually, a ricer is a imported car with ridiculous cosmetic modifications. The purpose of a ricer is to ridiculously make their car look and sound fast, while in reality it isn't. These people are so concerned with image that they will do plain stupid stuff to their cars. They'll take an already torque challenged vehicle like a Civic, and then slap on 50lbs worth of body kits to make it look cool(their opinion), and then put on a dinner plate sized muffler that sounds horrible and causes an even bigger torque loss. You'll often see many of them literally slammed into the ground because they have been lowered so far. Ricism is also a mentality as these people sometimes honestly think that doing these things makes their cars hot and fast, when they will have hurt performance. Movies like the first two Fast and Furious movies actually play into this ricer fad, except that the cars in the two movies were actually fast unlike a majority of those posers who simply dress their car up, make it sound annoying, and pretend it's fast. SoCal seems to be a hotbed for that type of activity, as there are a lot of tuners down there that cater to this population. Ricer isn't even a term that is restricted to imports anymore these days, as there are LOTS of domestics that can be considered ricers. I've seen plenty of Focus', Escort ZX2's, Cobalts, especially Neons, and Cavaliers that were riced out. Ricer used to be a derogatory term, but it has more or less seen enough common usage to be a term for the cars I just got finished describing.
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:16 AM   #221  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
I can't complain, but I'm really thinking about getting into the housing market, and since my truck has low miles and only 1 1/2 years to pay on it, it would be ideal to have less bills to pay when the big house note comes in. I'll definitely wait at least until it's paid off, but I am thinking of getting my wife a new car (swapping the 2003 Hyundai Elantra for something in the low to mids 20s). BTW, what's a ricer? (I probably should know what it means, but I don't).
Damn guy, you stuck your wife into a Hyundai?

My understanding is that it's tough to get into the housing market in Marin County, but it's such a desirable place to live for many people. For me, it's way too close to SF for my comfort and that's not mentioning the crazy cost of living in that area. The sad thing, is that you might not fair too well trading/selling your truck or wife's car. Hyundai's typically don't have very good resale, and GM/Ford vehicles don't have particularly good resale with a few exceptions on some vehicles. If you really like Hyundai's, you should definately check out the new Azera which is one incredible value for the stuff you get on it. It's also got a pretty hot motor, which qualifies the Azera as the fastest production Korea car ever built to date. It's only a 3.6 or 3.8 litre V6(can't remember which), but it's supposed to be a mean torquey motor which would be great with all of those hills.
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:13 PM   #222  
1080p=WhereYaWannaBe
 
enmoco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
Damn guy, you stuck your wife into a Hyundai?

My understanding is that it's tough to get into the housing market in Marin County, but it's such a desirable place to live for many people. For me, it's way too close to SF for my comfort and that's not mentioning the crazy cost of living in that area. The sad thing, is that you might not fair too well trading/selling your truck or wife's car. Hyundai's typically don't have very good resale, and GM/Ford vehicles don't have particularly good resale with a few exceptions on some vehicles. If you really like Hyundai's, you should definately check out the new Azera which is one incredible value for the stuff you get on it. It's also got a pretty hot motor, which qualifies the Azera as the fastest production Korea car ever built to date. It's only a 3.6 or 3.8 litre V6(can't remember which), but it's supposed to be a mean torquey motor which would be great with all of those hills.
I'm buying these at the sale and selling the Limiteds for $18700 to $19000. It is absolutely the best buy in a performance,luxury car out there today.The Azera has a four-wheel independent suspension (multi-link in the rear) and uses the company's new 3.8 L Lamda V-6, which produces 263 hp (196 kW). The power is sent to the front wheels through a five-speed automatic transmission with "Shiftronic" manual gear selection. Hyundai claims 6.0 s to accelerate to 60 mph (97 km/h) and a top speed of 157 mph (252 km/h). Fuel economy of 19 mpg (12.4 L/100 km) in the city and 28 mpg (8.4 L/100 km) on the highway is expected. People love these.....
enmoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #223  
1080p=WhereYaWannaBe
 
enmoco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 795
Default

BTW....that's the '06 Limited Azeras....make you throw rocks at anything else for that kind of money....
enmoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #224  
Administrator
 
rbinck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 17,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
Actually, a ricer is a imported car with ridiculous cosmetic modifications.
... Ricer isn't even a term that is restricted to imports anymore these days, as there are LOTS of domestics that can be considered ricers. I've seen plenty of Focus', Escort ZX2's, Cobalts, especially Neons, and Cavaliers that were riced out. Ricer used to be a derogatory term, but it has more or less seen enough common usage to be a term for the cars I just got finished describing.
Yes, that is what it has evolved to, but it's root was first coined for Japanese cars, specifically Hondas.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:11 PM   #225  
1080p=WhereYaWannaBe
 
enmoco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 795
Default

Quote:
Damn guy, you stuck your wife into a Hyundai?
Remember,play nice....never knock another's lot in life......well,.....unless they're driving a YUGO....
enmoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Anyone altering their driving habits due to outrageous gas prices?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LCD TV Monitor Panel Prices on the Rise eHDMI High Definition News & Informative Articles 1 08-24-2006 03:02 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:53 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands