High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Car Forum Talk about your favorite cars, setups, garages (got pics?)!

Like Tree1Likes

What are you driving?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 12:09 AM   #121  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
DSNY FN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London Ont Canada
Age: 50
Posts: 2,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
And I believe that's exactly the way to do it, although perhaps not as restrictive. My philosophy on this is let people own firearms to their hearts content, but only after they can prove that they are not a danger to society, and after showing that they are competent in firearm safety. I used to be a member of the NRA, but this is exactly why I no longer support them financially although I will agree with them from time to time. I believe that firearms should be allowed only after proving that you know how to operate one safely. I also believe that every firearm should carry a unique identification number just like every car has a unique VIN. The restrictions you have up there I beleive are overboard, but clearly is not a bad start if that is revised. As for the magazine limit, I honestly could not live with a 5 bullet limit as there have been times when I just went to the range and decide to empty the entire magazine on the target. Maybe I should head back to a range someday as it's been a while. I'll probably use that opportunity to empty my magazine so that I can fill it up with hollow point shells since man stopping power is exactly what you would want in an emergency as you don't want it penetrating anything and possibly striking someone else.
Oh don't get me wrong I like guns I am an owner I own a couple .22 log rifle long arms I have a Remmington 700 an Enfield and an SKS D model that will accept the AK mags. I never have them out becuase to even go to the range you have to file with the loval PD to let them know when you are going what route you are taking and how long you will be there and how you will get home. If you are pulled over in a different area or after the specified time you will be arrested and all weapons taken away. This is how London handles the gun owners their point is they would rather you store your weapons at the range in their vault then in your home to eliminate any possible issues.
DSNY FN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #122  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY FN View Post
Oh don't get me wrong I like guns I am an owner I own a couple .22 log rifle long arms I have a Remmington 700 an Enfield and an SKS D model that will accept the AK mags. I never have them out becuase to even go to the range you have to file with the loval PD to let them know when you are going what route you are taking and how long you will be there and how you will get home. If you are pulled over in a different area or after the specified time you will be arrested and all weapons taken away. This is how London handles the gun owners their point is they would rather you store your weapons at the range in their vault then in your home to eliminate any possible issues.

That's exactly the type of stuff I personally have a problem with. My first and formost primary reason for owning a gun is protection at home. Recreational use at the range is only second to this for me. Then again, that's why i'll visit the UK(I love London!!!), but i'll never live there. I would never even accept a job that would require me to live abroad because I would be unhappy and dissatisfied.
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:06 AM   #123  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
DSNY FN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London Ont Canada
Age: 50
Posts: 2,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
That's exactly the type of stuff I personally have a problem with. My first and formost primary reason for owning a gun is protection at home. Recreational use at the range is only second to this for me. Then again, that's why i'll visit the UK(I love London!!!), but i'll never live there. I would never even accept a job that would require me to live abroad because I would be unhappy and dissatisfied.

June I live in London Canada not the UK I am sure you knew this but the way you stated about living abroad made it sound that way LOL. So primary use for you is protection secondary is recreation that is completley opposite to us in Canada for us it is about 98% recreation the other 2% is for law enforcement and thier protection. Not that they really need them for protection LOL.
DSNY FN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #124  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY FN View Post
June I live in London Canada not the UK I am sure you knew this but the way you stated about living abroad made it sound that way LOL. So primary use for you is protection secondary is recreation that is completley opposite to us in Canada for us it is about 98% recreation the other 2% is for law enforcement and thier protection. Not that they really need them for protection LOL.
Must be nice to live in a area that doesn't have all sorts of violent and gun related crime

I swear, look at how the democrats have trashed Cincinnati since taking over. Cincinnati was rated the most livable city in the US about 10-15 years ago(can't remember exact year). They had just edged out Seattle, WA for this title that year. Now, real life property values are very down with the exception of the upscale Hyde Park region, crime is moved from being concentrated in Downtown to the outlying parts of the city, and taxes are still too high for property. When looking at the benefits we live for living inside the city, there is no reason why we should be paying the kind of property taxes we are. What is really angering me is how the city keeps trying to inflate property values just to f&*# us out of my property taxes. Real property values are just not what the city wants them to be. Look at our neighbor who has been trying to get the city declared value for his own via a sale, but hasn't been able to sell it in 2 years now. Once all of my educational needs are done, i'm outta this dump. Like everyone else, i'll be moving out to the suburbs. They complain about all of these urban sprawl issues we are having, yet they can't seem to understand that NOONE wants to live in the city anymore because it has become a frickin DUMP.
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #125  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
DSNY FN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London Ont Canada
Age: 50
Posts: 2,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
Must be nice to live in a area that doesn't have all sorts of violent and gun related crime

I swear, look at how the democrats have trashed Cincinnati since taking over. Cincinnati was rated the most livable city in the US about 10-15 years ago(can't remember exact year). They had just edged out Seattle, WA for this title that year. Now, real life property values are very down with the exception of the upscale Hyde Park region, crime is moved from being concentrated in Downtown to the outlying parts of the city, and taxes are still too high for property. When looking at the benefits we live for living inside the city, there is no reason why we should be paying the kind of property taxes we are. What is really angering me is how the city keeps trying to inflate property values just to f&*# us out of my property taxes. Real property values are just not what the city wants them to be. Look at our neighbor who has been trying to get the city declared value for his own via a sale, but hasn't been able to sell it in 2 years now. Once all of my educational needs are done, i'm outta this dump. Like everyone else, i'll be moving out to the suburbs. They complain about all of these urban sprawl issues we are having, yet they can't seem to understand that NOONE wants to live in the city anymore because it has become a frickin DUMP.
Our province of Ontario is run by the Liberals (your Dems) our crime rates are down but don't even get me started on property tax mind you that is set by teh city not our provincial government. Our property tax on a 900 square foot house on a lot that is 108' X 35' was over 2200 dollars last year. It is nice to live in a place where violent crime is very very minimal and you can feel safe letting your kids play on the street without fear of gans and bullies etc.
DSNY FN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #126  
1080p=WhereYaWannaBe
 
enmoco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungian View Post
Must be nice to live in a area that doesn't have all sorts of violent and gun related crime

I swear, look at how the democrats have trashed Cincinnati since taking over. Cincinnati was rated the most livable city in the US about 10-15 years ago(can't remember exact year). They had just edged out Seattle, WA for this title that year. Now, real life property values are very down with the exception of the upscale Hyde Park region, crime is moved from being concentrated in Downtown to the outlying parts of the city, and taxes are still too high for property. When looking at the benefits we live for living inside the city, there is no reason why we should be paying the kind of property taxes we are. What is really angering me is how the city keeps trying to inflate property values just to f&*# us out of my property taxes. Real property values are just not what the city wants them to be. Look at our neighbor who has been trying to get the city declared value for his own via a sale, but hasn't been able to sell it in 2 years now. Once all of my educational needs are done, I'm outta this dump. Like everyone else, i'll be moving out to the suburbs. They complain about all of these urban sprawl issues we are having, yet they can't seem to understand that NOONE wants to live in the city anymore because it has become a frickin DUMP.
It's a very real problem. The unfortunate realism is that a city,municipality,or township needs XXX amount of funds to provide the necessary (and maybe not so necessary) services and entitlements deemed as such buy the governing body. Property values are not intended to be a retail appraisal of your property. In many cases the appraisal district value is underrated. Periodic adjustments can be disturbing,to say the least.Most generally a provision for arbitration is provided if one should disagree.Near proximity actual sales are often used to justify one's claim of unfair property appraisal in taxing cases.The real tragedy is so many non tax paying users of schools,roads,parks,and all other municipal provided benefits.This puts the burden on all of us.
enmoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:54 PM   #127  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enmoco View Post
It's a very real problem. The unfortunate realism is that a city,municipality,or township needs XXX amount of funds to provide the necessary (and maybe not so necessary) services and entitlements deemed as such buy the governing body. Property values are not intended to be a retail appraisal of your property. In many cases the appraisal district value is underrated. Periodic adjustments can be disturbing,to say the least.Most generally a provision for arbitration is provided if one should disagree.Near proximity actual sales are often used to justify one's claim of unfair property appraisal in taxing cases.The real tragedy is so many non tax paying users of schools,roads,parks,and all other municipal provided benefits.This puts the burden on all of us.


And we have a TON of them in our city. Aww, the "burden of dependency" when you are too frickin lazy to better yourself and make a better life for yourself by refusing to motivate yourself enough to get out of your "poverty" cycle. Instead, they decide they want to hang around on our street corners and sell rocks instead. Instead of making sure their kids go to school, they wait around on their porches the first Tuesday of the month waiting for their welfare checks. Several times, politicians have tried to tie government assistance of any kind in with public school attendance for their kids. Somehow, that never works here, when this has been proven to work in the poorest of countries to motivate child school attendance. Bangladesh has especially seen success with a similar motivational assistance program as more of their children than ever are attending schools. Now they are trying to raise sales taxes here just to pay for a new jail. The only problem is that once the jail is built, what other taxes will they try to raise to maintain that jail?
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #128  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
DSNY FN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London Ont Canada
Age: 50
Posts: 2,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
And we have a TON of them in our city. Aww, the "burden of dependency" when you are too frickin lazy to better yourself and make a better life for yourself by refusing to motivate yourself enough to get out of your "poverty" cycle. Instead, they decide they want to hang around on our street corners and sell rocks instead. Instead of making sure their kids go to school, they wait around on their porches the first Tuesday of the month waiting for their welfare checks. Several times, politicians have tried to tie government assistance of any kind in with public school attendance for their kids. Somehow, that never works here, when this has been proven to work in the poorest of countries to motivate child school attendance. Bangladesh has especially seen success with a similar motivational assistance program as more of their children than ever are attending schools. Now they are trying to raise sales taxes here just to pay for a new jail. The only problem is that once the jail is built, what other taxes will they try to raise to maintain that jail?
We have this up here to be considered for Welfare you need to be able to work X number of hours a week they call it workfare up here and it is really helping to get people out of the system. That and the fact that we are rasing our minimum wage from 8.50 and hour to 10.50 an hour. People up here screamed about workfare but hnestly it is a boon to business the governemt pays part of the wage and the company pays part of teh wage to start off with then after a period of time and when the recipient is in a more stable situation the gov funding portion ends.
DSNY FN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #129  
1080p=WhereYaWannaBe
 
enmoco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 795
Default

Quote:
we are rasing our minimum wage from 8.50 and hour to 10.50 an hour
Wow! That's a big figure for the minimum wage. Here,the U.S. Senate just voted 94-3 to increase the minimum wage from $5.15 to $7.25 over a two year span....
enmoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:37 PM   #130  
1080p=WhereYaWannaBe
 
enmoco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 795
Default

Are you in Nunavut province?
enmoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #131  
1080p=WhereYaWannaBe
 
enmoco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 795
Default

Never mind,I see now you are from London,Ontario........
enmoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:44 PM   #132  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY FN View Post
We have this up here to be considered for Welfare you need to be able to work X number of hours a week they call it workfare up here and it is really helping to get people out of the system. That and the fact that we are rasing our minimum wage from 8.50 and hour to 10.50 an hour. People up here screamed about workfare but hnestly it is a boon to business the governemt pays part of the wage and the company pays part of teh wage to start off with then after a period of time and when the recipient is in a more stable situation the gov funding portion ends.
I believe raising minimum wage is a bad deal, and that they should leave the market to work out what the equilibrium wage should be for any given job. I wish I could put a powerpoint slide up as I can show you graphically why I believe its a bad idea.Socially, higher minimum wage has also been traced and confirmed to cause increases levels of high school and college drop outs. While that's not a lot of money to most people, some college and high school students think it is and it is an incentive to not finish their education.

What's worse is that minimum wage mandates can over the long term cause unemployment. What it will do is make investing capitel in tehcnology much more attractive over using labor as an input. What raising the minimum wage above the equilibrium point does, is that at the higher wage, more people will now be interested in looking for a job. However, this is going to force firms to reduce demand for labor and substitute other inputs such as technological investments. So demand for a job by workers will increase at this new wage, but the supply of labor will go down causing unemployment.

Then other issues arise if technology isn't readily available. In that case, the firms may just pass on the added costs to consumers by charging more for their products. In the long term, this decreases the competitivness of a firm in the global market. One thing for sure that westernized countries are going to need to get away from, is relying on manufacturing for their economy. It is clear that western countries no longer have a comparative advantage in that sector compared to these new emerging economies like China, India, and even some of these 3rd/4th world countries. Unions need to stop bitching over the loss of manufacturing now, and start coming up with a solution. Unless western countries find other markets where they can hold a comparative advantage over other countries, they will cease to be an economic power.
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #133  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
unforgiven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 225
Default

As far as taxes go, you just have to accept it as part of life. If I worried about taxes, I'd probably be dead from stress. I just finished my federal tax returns and sent them in last week. It hurts to see that that the federal taxes I paid was about twice the average individual yearly income for city I live in, but I took advantage of every tax break that was available to me and that's the best I can do.

As far as property taxes, we have the "save your home" in Florida that only allows the county to raise your property tax a max of 3% if you have homestead exemption. I've been in my house now for 4 year and it has appreciated about 70%. Thank God they can't raise my property tax that high.
unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:53 AM   #134  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
DSNY FN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London Ont Canada
Age: 50
Posts: 2,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enmoco View Post
Are you in Nunavut province?
LOL nope you were right London Ontario and the wage is going up across Canada not just in Ontario. Most places that pay minimum wage are places like McDonalds Wal Mart etc anyplace worth working pays atleast 13-15 bucks an hour to start even in retail.
DSNY FN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #135  
The 65" A8F & Neil Rock!
 
Razor05's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,796
Default

04 Murano
Razor05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to What are you driving?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Are You Paying For Regular Gas These Days? Lee Stewart Car Forum 793 10-21-2019 01:31 PM
Who Are You? kamspy High Definition Media 620 05-01-2013 09:56 AM
What platform are you getting COD MW 2 on? Mattie_B Gaming & Systems 93 10-03-2009 10:23 AM
What are your relationship or dating requirements? NewLCD123 No Topic Forum 67 12-11-2008 08:15 PM
Why Are You Buying/NOT Buying Blu-ray/DVD movies cheezz High Definition Media 130 12-06-2008 10:11 AM
Are you happy that HD DUD failed? bhampton High Definition Media 169 03-23-2008 09:53 AM
What are the good 1080p DLP's? ZeroPlasma Rear-Projection TVs 15 11-30-2005 01:10 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:32 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands