High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Car Forum Talk about your favorite cars, setups, garages (got pics?)!

Like Tree8977Likes

Muscle Cars 1962 to 1972

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2015, 11:57 PM   #7786  
Muscle Cars Forever!
Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,284
Default




http://ccclassiccar.com/1971-oldsmobile-442-12535/
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:00 AM   #7787  
Muscle Cars Forever!
Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,284
Default


Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #7788  
Muscle Cars Forever!
Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,284
Default

1967 L78 SS 396 Chevelle (1 of 612)









Last edited by Lee Stewart; 07-31-2019 at 02:47 AM..
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #7789  
Muscle Cars Forever!
Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,284
Default



Last edited by Lee Stewart; 07-31-2019 at 02:47 AM..
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #7790  
RALLYSPORT
 

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Linköping, Sweden
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Hi Chris

Chevy sold 10,576 Super Sport Novas in 1964. As you know, it was just a trim level option - no special engine attached to it.

It is interesting to note that the previous year, 1963, was the high water mark for the Nova SS - 42,432. The lowest sales year was 1968 (5,571) - the first year that Chevy made the Nova SS more than a trim level option by making standard the 350/295 HP engine.

The documentation would be the key to finding a dealer installed V8 into an early Nova. As far as ever seeing one? I haven't either nor was I able to find a photo of one. Chevy actually sold 2 kits that included a new block with a recessed oil filter that would allow either a 283 or 327 to be installed in a 1962/1963 Nova.




As far as the brakes on a Nova? YIKES! You could just about say that for an drum brake car of the 1960s but with the Nova, they were designed for a 6 CYL car riding on 13" tires.
Hi again Lee,
That´s amazing info. I learned the hard way that the Nova had a special
block. I had replaced the original 283" for a non Nova 327" in my ´66 SS, and that was okey until I traded the PG for a M21. The clutch linkage I had bought didn´t fit the block, so I had to make an adapter to
make it work. AFAIK German Opel Diplomat used the same, 283"-4-door
327"-2-doorHT. And I did some streetracing(who haven´t?) in the late
´70:s. 1/4 mile with maybe the same breaking distance and with that
kind of brakes. I wonder what brakes Grumpy had when he raced his ´66 L79???
Chris
spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:25 PM   #7791  
Muscle Cars Forever!
Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spur View Post
Hi again Lee,
That´s amazing info. I learned the hard way that the Nova had a special
block. I had replaced the original 283" for a non Nova 327" in my ´66 SS, and that was okey until I traded the PG for a M21. The clutch linkage I had bought didn´t fit the block, so I had to make an adapter to
make it work. AFAIK German Opel Diplomat used the same, 283"-4-door
327"-2-doorHT. And I did some streetracing(who haven´t?) in the late
´70:s. 1/4 mile with maybe the same breaking distance and with that
kind of brakes. I wonder what brakes Grumpy had when he raced his ´66 L79???
Chris
Hi Chris

You street raced? Shame on you!

Grumpy's Toy - 1966 L79 Nova




This car is a recreation. The original was destroyed in a towing accident back in 1966.

Bill Jenkins ran in A/Stock with the Nova so it would have had the standard drum brakes on it which is what you would have wanted because they are lighter in weight than disc brakes. Weight is a killer on the drag strip. Modifications like using the small radiator from a 6 CYL, no sound deadening, no heater or radio, a bench seat, etc. were SOP - still are today. This car was in the 8 to 1 Weight vs HP ratio class: A/S. With his tuning skills, Jenkins was getting around 420 HP from the 327. He ran a 4.88 rear which would have helped in slowing down the car after a run.


Here is a period photo of the original Grumpy's Toy:




Here is a photo of the replacement car:



Last edited by Lee Stewart; 06-03-2015 at 04:47 PM..
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #7792  
RALLYSPORT
 

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Linköping, Sweden
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Hi Chris

You street raced? Shame on you!

Grumpy's Toy - 1966 L79 Nova




This car is a recreation. The original was destroyed in a towing accident back in 1966.

Bill Jenkins ran in A/Stock with the Nova so it would have had the standard drum brakes on it which is what you would have wanted because they are lighter in weight than disc brakes. Weight is a killer on the drag strip. Modifications like using the small radiator from a 6 CYL, no sound deadening, no heater or radio, a bench seat, etc. were SOP - still are today. This car was in the 8 to 1 Weight vs HP ratio class: A/S. With his tuning skills, Jenkins was getting around 420 HP from the 327. He ran a 4.88 rear which would have helped in slowing down the car after a run.
Yes Lee, I did, don´t tell the cops in Sweden In fact I outran a ´69
L78 4-speed Chevelle, with a 350" in the Nova and the M21. Afterwards
he asked me for another race, but I told him I´m driving this car to work every day, 500 miles, so forget it.
Chris
spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:37 PM   #7793  
Muscle Cars Forever!
Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spur View Post
Yes Lee, I did, don´t tell the cops in Sweden In fact I outran a ´69
L78 4-speed Chevelle, with a 350" in the Nova and the M21. Afterwards
he asked me for another race, but I told him I´m driving this car to work every day, 500 miles, so forget it.
Chris
My sentiments exactly! QUIT WHILE YOU ARE AHEAD!


Pssst . . . . don't tell anyone . . . I did a whole lot of street racing "back then"
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #7794  
Muscle Cars Forever!
Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,284
Default

1966 L79 Acadian Invader











[url=http://postimage.org/][/url




It is a very rare car, even with the "3 on the tree" and a 3.08 non Posi 12 bolt rear. In 1966, only 63 Acadians had the L79 option. Most of them were the Canso Sport Deluxe:



Last edited by Lee Stewart; 07-31-2019 at 02:49 AM..
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #7795  
Muscle Cars Forever!
Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,284
Default

1969 Hemi Charger R/T - Special Order Paint: Rallye Green




Just needs Redline tires to be correct. No idea if it's the real deal or a "made car" but Rally Green was one of the special order colors for the Charger in 1969. The others were Omaha Orange and Bahama Yellow. All three would have 999 on the fender tag for a paint code.

As a comparison, Spring Green/Bright Green (F6) is a lighter Green as seen on this 1969 Daytona:



Last edited by Lee Stewart; 06-03-2015 at 08:58 PM..
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #7796  
Muscle Cars Forever!
Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,284
Default



Last edited by Lee Stewart; 07-31-2019 at 02:50 AM..
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:11 PM   #7797  
Muscle Cars Forever!
Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,284
Default

Hurst 1970 Chrysler 300H "Parade Float" (1 of 1)







Car is for sale: $150,000 - see link for backstory and additional photos

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/on...t-convertible/
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:28 PM   #7798  
Muscle Cars Forever!
Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,284
Default

Did you know . . .

In 1969, before it was called Performance Red (R4) Chrysler had originally called R4 Barracuda Orange











1969 Cuda 440 - R4: Barracuda Orange



Last edited by Lee Stewart; 06-03-2015 at 09:32 PM..
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:33 PM   #7799  
Muscle Cars Forever!
Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,284
Default


Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:55 PM   #7800  
Muscle Cars Forever!
Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 47,284
Default

1966 L79 Nova Sport Coupe


Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:23 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands