High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Car Forum Talk about your favorite cars, setups, garages (got pics?)!

what kind of Feul or Gas treatment additive do you use/ Cleaning products

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #16  
AMD must survive
 
amdgamer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
Seafoam is superior to any additive IMO, add to crankcase and vacuum line before oil change, and a can to gas when you like. You will not be disappointed, many Youtube clips of the procedure can be found.
Have you guys ever tried using BG's 44k induction kit? It is similar as it has a can that you hook up to the vacuum lines, and a can that you pour into the gas tank. That is what i've typically used, although I havn't had anything like that done in a long time as I use only Shell or BP these days. I'm no

Another good one i've tried is the Amsoil Powerfoam which is just like the Seafoam stuff, and seems to be very effective from what some of my customers were telling me when I was selling that stuff. I only tried their additive that you put into the gas tank, and it didn't impress me as Chevron's Techron concentrate worked better for me.
amdgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #17  
Loading Comment...
 
J-Rod's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kingwood, TX (Houston)
Age: 42
Posts: 741
Default

I haven't tried either... the Amsoil product sounds to be a good one. I have been impressed with Amsoil marine oil I use.
J-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #18  
Loading Comment...
 
J-Rod's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kingwood, TX (Houston)
Age: 42
Posts: 741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwilkes20 View Post
exactly..people these days rely too much on "snake oil" marketing tactics. Like that engine restore sstuff that is "supposed" to restore enfgine compression...

Or paying $20 each for spark plugs that do nothing more to help you engine that proper PMing would do.
EXACTLY....

I know I admit to having to "learn" about plugs as I've gone, but what bugs me now that I know better are all the people that think those IR plugs are far more superior. A spark is a spark is a spark, it either lights the fuel or doesn't. The only benefit from that IR or Platium plug is longevity... no thank you I'll put my 2.00 Coppers in every 30,000 miles and in the same amount of time (100,000) still be cheaper with the coppers.

Just ask the boosted guys what type they run... cold coppers.
J-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #19  
I love my wife!!!
 
adamwilkes20's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zephyrhills, Fl
Posts: 505
Default

My Ac Delco plugs are the same as the more expensive NGK's...lol

Just have to be careful with Bosch plugs...I have seen alot of them break off in the head...that really sucks....
adamwilkes20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:41 AM   #20  
HD Elitist
 
hatt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: FL
Age: 44
Posts: 6,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
EXACTLY....

I know I admit to having to "learn" about plugs as I've gone, but what bugs me now that I know better are all the people that think those IR plugs are far more superior. A spark is a spark is a spark, it either lights the fuel or doesn't. The only benefit from that IR or Platium plug is longevity... no thank you I'll put my 2.00 Coppers in every 30,000 miles and in the same amount of time (100,000) still be cheaper with the coppers.

Just ask the boosted guys what type they run... cold coppers.
That's a big benefit if you have a vehicle with plugs that are a pain in the ass to get to all of them. Or if you have to pay someone to do it.

IDK about $20 apiece plugs. I haven't had to buy spark plugs in a long time so I'm a little behind on what's out there now.
hatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:47 PM   #21  
AMD must survive
 
amdgamer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
EXACTLY....

I know I admit to having to "learn" about plugs as I've gone, but what bugs me now that I know better are all the people that think those IR plugs are far more superior. A spark is a spark is a spark, it either lights the fuel or doesn't. The only benefit from that IR or Platium plug is longevity... no thank you I'll put my 2.00 Coppers in every 30,000 miles and in the same amount of time (100,000) still be cheaper with the coppers.

Just ask the boosted guys what type they run... cold coppers.
The boosted guys run copper for a reason, and that is that they are trying to keep their motors from blowing apart

I remember seeing some of the heavily boosted Lightning guys who were having detonation problems until they went copper. Damn that was an awesome truck! Of course they fixed that issue only to realize that their connecting rods were snapping at the insane levels of boost they were running.

When you look at most modern cars these days, spending the money for a set of double plat plugs are more than worth it because you can't even get to the plug wells without having to take a bunch of stuff off, or skinning the hell out of your hand.
amdgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #22  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
daleb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 7,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwilkes20 View Post
exactly..people these days rely too much on "snake oil" marketing tactics. Like that engine restore sstuff that is "supposed" to restore enfgine compression...

Or paying $20 each for spark plugs that do nothing more to help you engine that proper PMing would do.
Good PMing trumps a lot of aftermarket stuff no one really needs.
For fuel I stick with top tier, use the octane recommended in your manual.
I read one article by a chemist that suggested alternating between top fuel brands, as some additives work better on specific types of contamination. This is from a 'vette' blog, but makes some sense.

http://www.vettenet.org/octane.html
daleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #23  
I love my wife!!!
 
adamwilkes20's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zephyrhills, Fl
Posts: 505
Default

Damn, I really FUBARD the spelling on that post didn't I?
adamwilkes20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #24  
Loading Comment...
 
J-Rod's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kingwood, TX (Houston)
Age: 42
Posts: 741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post
Good PMing trumps a lot of aftermarket stuff no one really needs.
For fuel I stick with top tier, use the octane recommended in your manual. I read one article by a chemist that suggested alternating between top fuel brands, as some additives work better on specific types of contamination. This is from a 'vette' blog, but makes some sense.

http://www.vettenet.org/octane.html
This is another thing I don't understand why most won't do what the owners manual says... my owners manual showed 91 octane min., and thats what it has had in it since I bought it new. NO cat trouble, no hesitation, no O2 sensor trouble for 10yrs now... nothing.

"Yeah but it soooo much more expensive, your just wasting money..." No I'm not, it cost me a few dollars more at tank to put the correct octane fuel in my car. If you are worried about a few bucks against the $40,000 dollar vehicle you bought then you deserve the trouble you get later in the vehicles life.
J-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #25  
I love my wife!!!
 
adamwilkes20's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zephyrhills, Fl
Posts: 505
Default

Most people think that octane booster will do good too, so that they can use lower octane fuel. However, IIRC, octane booster will only raise the octane up by 0.3 RON

Last edited by adamwilkes20; 05-27-2010 at 05:48 PM..
adamwilkes20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #26  
AMD must survive
 
amdgamer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwilkes20 View Post
Most people think that octane booster will do good too, so that they can use lower octane fuel. However, IIRC, octane booster will only raise the octane up by 0.3 RON
A lot of people also don't realize that many of those octane boosters can screw up your emissions control systems and sensors. Many of them are also not emissions legal for use in non off-road vehicles. I really can't understand why some people get a vehicle that requires premium fuel and then try to get cheap. The price premium comes out to 20 - 25cents per gallon. On a vehicle like my former Chevy Trailblazer SS that needed 20 gallons on a completely empty tank, this comes out to $4-5 per tank of fuel. You can't even buy an extra value meal for $4-5 anymore. I remember a time when my favorite #1 Big Mac extra value meal could be purchased for under $3.
amdgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:38 AM   #27  
HD Elitist
 
hatt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: FL
Age: 44
Posts: 6,300
Default

Yeah, these days premium fuel isn't that big of a difference. 20 to 30 cents added to $2.75 is different than 20 cents on a $1.00 not all that long ago.
hatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #28  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
daleb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 7,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
This is another thing I don't understand why most won't do what the owners manual says... my owners manual showed 91 octane min., and thats what it has had in it since I bought it new. NO cat trouble, no hesitation, no O2 sensor trouble for 10yrs now... nothing.

"Yeah but it soooo much more expensive, your just wasting money..." No I'm not, it cost me a few dollars more at tank to put the correct octane fuel in my car. If you are worried about a few bucks against the $40,000 dollar vehicle you bought then you deserve the trouble you get later in the vehicles life.
I don't know why..most people follow the owner's manual but for some reason a few get all weird about the octane recommendation.

I do that same.. follow the recommendation...if it says 87, ,then I just use regular. Occasionally, I might bump it up to 89 if I expect to load up the car and drive it hard on a hot day, etc. That's quite rare.

For a while the top tier companies worded their ads to make it sound like if you did not use premium you will miss out on the cleaning benefit...the ads have been toned down a lot. All grades have detergents...or I suspect you would start to see a lot of economy cars on the side of road as rusted out carcasses.
But some still equate quality with octane level.

I had a Infiniti G35 coupe with a premium recommendation. There was no way I would ever put regular in that, but that also had a lot to do with the way I drove it! LOL

Last edited by daleb; 05-28-2010 at 11:47 AM..
daleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #29  
Loading Comment...
 
J-Rod's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kingwood, TX (Houston)
Age: 42
Posts: 741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdgamer View Post
A lot of people also don't realize that many of those octane boosters can screw up your emissions control systems and sensors. Many of them are also not emissions legal for use in non off-road vehicles. I really can't understand why some people get a vehicle that requires premium fuel and then try to get cheap. The price premium comes out to 20 - 25cents per gallon. On a vehicle like my former Chevy Trailblazer SS that needed 20 gallons on a completely empty tank, this comes out to $4-5 per tank of fuel. You can't even buy an extra value meal for $4-5 anymore. I remember a time when my favorite #1 Big Mac extra value meal could be purchased for under $3.

That's right, so they put in 87 octane then go buy a $3.00 bottle of octane boost? WTF? Put premium in and be done with it.
J-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #30  
Loading Comment...
 
J-Rod's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kingwood, TX (Houston)
Age: 42
Posts: 741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post
I had a Infiniti G35 coupe with a premium recommendation. There was no way I would ever put regular in that, but that also had a lot to do with the way I drove it! LOL
Ahh the VQ motor, that is what is in my Maxima and it recommends min of 91. Of course where I live geographically 93 is the Super Unleaded so that is what she gets... but to someone that doesn't care or know better the think a Maxima doesn't need premium and dump the lower in.
J-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:32 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands