High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource (https://www.highdefforum.com/index.php)
-   Car Forum (https://www.highdefforum.com/car-forum-56/)
-   -   Car Maintenance Tips (https://www.highdefforum.com/car-forum/100653-car-maintenance-tips.html)

emmabooth 09-07-2009 08:18 AM

Car Maintenance Tips
 
1. Take care of Engine The Heart of A Vehicle Ask your auto mechanic to thoroughly check the engine every time you take your car for servicing.
2. Check Engine Coolant Proper temperature of car's engine is important, hence you should check you engine coolant for right level. If the engine coolant is low, it results in overheating of auto engine.
3. Check for Smooth Functioning of Timing Belt If it doesn't then, just replace it to avoid an serious engine damage that can be heavy for your pocket.
4. Calibration of the Engine Oil Regular checking and calibration of engine oil ensures engine breakdown. Smooth performance of the automobile engine helps to increase the lifeline of your vehicle.
5. Clean the Radiator Radiator debris should be cleaned with a soft brush. Whereas detergent solution can be carefully used to clean the exterior of radiator.

Scottnot 09-07-2009 12:44 PM

And, brush your teeth after every meal.

daleb 09-08-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmabooth (Post 933652)
3. Check for Smooth Functioning of Timing Belt If it doesn't then, just replace it to avoid an serious engine damage that can be heavy for your pocket.

"smooth functioning" how smooth is smooth? How about just checking for belts that are not frayed or cracked and replace them if they are?

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmabooth (Post 933652)
4. Calibration of the Engine Oil Regular checking and calibration of engine oil ensures engine breakdown. Smooth performance of the automobile engine helps to increase the lifeline of your vehicle.

How do I calibrate my oil? Maybe check the level regularly and change it and the filter as recommended?

What about brakes, tire pressure, and all the other fluid levels? How about making sure all your lights work...Good idea, eh?

A broken engine can cost lots of money, bad brakes or tires can cost lives.

sarah_9 09-09-2009 06:24 AM

Hello,

Hey buddy thanks for sharing such a useful tips, here are few tips that can help in improving the mileage of your car:

1. Always follow an authorized service center for maintenance service
2. Avoid AC
3.Make sure that your tires are properly inflated
4.Always use a good engine oil
5. Avoid accelerating on steep road
6. Drive in right gear
7.Keeping your highway speed at 55 mph can improve you gas mileage by as much as 25%.

these are the few basics that one should follow while driving it is good for your car.

sarah_9

daleb 09-09-2009 10:50 AM

Thanks, good all around tips. I agree on following recommendations per the owner's manual, but you can save a lot of money going with a reputable independent mechanic for service vs. a dealer, in most cases. Not for a warranty repair, of course.
Although, I get my oil at WalMart and bring it to a dealer who changes it for $15 and even washes the car. Avoid quickie lube places also!
Many have untrained monkeys for 'mechanics'.

J-Rod 09-09-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmabooth (Post 933652)
1. Take care of engine the heart of a vehicle ask your auto mechanic to thoroughly check the engine every time you take your car for servicing.
2. Check engine coolant proper temperature of car's engine is important, hence you should check you engine coolant for right level. If the engine coolant is low, it results in overheating of auto engine.
3. Check for smooth functioning of timing belt if it doesn't then, just replace it to avoid an serious engine damage that can be heavy for your pocket.
4. Calibration of the engine oil regular checking and calibration of engine oil ensures engine breakdown. Smooth performance of the automobile engine helps to increase the lifeline of your vehicle.
5. Clean the radiator radiator debris should be cleaned with a soft brush. Whereas detergent solution can be carefully used to clean the exterior of radiator.

wtf?

WestDC 09-09-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmabooth (Post 933652)
1. Take care of Engine The Heart of A Vehicle Ask your auto mechanic to thoroughly check the engine every time you take your car for servicing.2. Check Engine Coolant Proper temperature of car's engine is important, hence you should check you engine coolant for right level. If the engine coolant is low, it results in overheating of auto engine.
3. Check for Smooth Functioning of Timing Belt If it doesn't then, just replace it to avoid an serious engine damage that can be heavy for your pocket.
4. Calibration of the Engine Oil Regular checking and calibration of engine oil ensures engine breakdown. Smooth performance of the automobile engine helps to increase the lifeline of your vehicle.
5. Clean the Radiator Radiator debris should be cleaned with a soft brush. Whereas detergent solution can be carefully used to clean the exterior of radiator.

1. It would be less expensive to just as for a F*CKIN* before you start.

gameguru1360 09-10-2009 04:21 PM

also try cleaning the engine bay. My friend says a clean engine also lasts longer. First try covering the alternator, distributor cap and battery, then use something like Gunk Out or Simple Green and some water to wash away the excess. Some engine cleaners can just be sprayed on and then dried by turning on the engine for about 10 minutes.

daleb 09-10-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gameguru1360 (Post 935548)
also try cleaning the engine bay. My friend says a clean engine also lasts longer. First try covering the alternator, distributor cap and battery, then use something like Gunk Out or Simple Green and some water to wash away the excess. Some engine cleaners can just be sprayed on and then dried by turning on the engine for about 10 minutes.

Works best if you do on a regular basis. Like every few months. Helps keep the engine cooler too by removing all the grunge covering it.
Like anything else, you can overdo it.

DIRECTVMAN 10-12-2009 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daleb (Post 934785)
Although, I get my oil at WalMart and bring it to a dealer who changes it for $15 and even washes the car.

Really ???

Most dealers would say - Get the f*ck out of here with your Walmart bought oil !! It's only about $25 to get an oil change at a car dealer, that includes the new oil, new filter, recycle fee(s), wash the car, top off the windshield washer fluid. A lot of times they inspect the brakes, tires, belts, test the battery at the same time for the same price.

How much cash do you really think you're saving by making an extra stop at Walmart to buy oil to take to a car dealer ?

When you need a brake job done do you buy new brake pads and brake fluid at Walmart and take the parts to the dealer to be installed ?

When you get a haircut and they wash your hair do you bring your own shampoo from home ?

When you someday need a hip replaced are you going to supply the parts yourself ?

daleb 10-13-2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIRECTVMAN (Post 948786)
Really ???

Most dealers would say - Get the f*ck out of here with your Walmart bought oil !! It's only about $25 to get an oil change at a car dealer, that includes the new oil, new filter, recycle fee(s), wash the car, top off the windshield washer fluid. A lot of times they inspect the brakes, tires, belts, test the battery at the same time for the same price.

How much cash do you really think you're saving by making an extra stop at Walmart to buy oil to take to a car dealer ?

When you need a brake job done do you buy new brake pads and brake fluid at Walmart and take the parts to the dealer to be installed ?

When you get a haircut and they wash your hair do you bring your own shampoo from home ?

When you someday need a hip replaced are you going to supply the parts yourself ?

How much am I saving? About 15 bucks on the service.

But their $29.95 service does not include Mobil 1 synthetic which is all I use in my cars.

I would do it myself at home, but it is worth 15 bucks to me to avoid the hassle and let them change it.
And yes, they provide a check list that they have checked all fluid levels, lights, wipers, etc. They do require I use a factory filter for the cars though, which is no problem for me.

I use an independent mechanic for other more involved work, what I don't do myself. If my disks don't need turning, I change the pads myself, etc.

I guess the other comments are meant in jest, or you actually think you are clever.

sjt1985 10-26-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarah_9 (Post 934645)
Hello,

Hey buddy thanks for sharing such a useful tips, here are few tips that can help in improving the mileage of your car:

1. Always follow an authorized service center for maintenance service
2. Avoid AC
3.Make sure that your tires are properly inflated
4.Always use a good engine oil
5. Avoid accelerating on steep road
6. Drive in right gear
7.Keeping your highway speed at 55 mph can improve you gas mileage by as much as 25%.

these are the few basics that one should follow while driving it is good for your car.

sarah_9

1. If your car is new, take it to an authorized center. Otherwise, do it yourself or find a local mechanic that is not the dealership (otherwise known as the stealership).

3. Also check the condition of your tires, look for cracks, depth of tread, etc. It's a good idea to have your wheels rotated every oil change too (there is a specific way to rotate, see owners manual for details).

4. Using a good filter is just as important as the oil quality. Spend the extra $4 for the expensive filter.

7. From my experience, going 55 on a highway is dangerous. Especially when people drive 75-80+ mph and the police are rarely enforcing speed limits.

Instead, learn how to take your foot off the gas pedal when you anticipate slowing down (most newer cars have a feature called DFCO, deceleration fuel cut off which will sense when you are not giving the car gas, and will stop injecting fuel into the engine).

I would also add that you should take care of the exterior of your automobile, keep the finish protected from the elements and wax at least twice a year.

daleb 10-26-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjt1985 (Post 953784)
1. If your car is new, take it to an authorized center. Otherwise, do it yourself or find a local mechanic that is not the dealership (otherwise known as the stealership).

How does an 'authorized center' differ from a dealership?

A dealership is NOT always expensive for just oil changes. See my example above. Or do it yourself, or have a mechanic you trust (see below).

For repairs, independent mechanics, especially ones that specialize in your make/model are best.

Avoid quickee lube services. Most staffing such facilities have minimal training.

sjt1985 10-26-2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daleb (Post 953799)
How does an 'authorized center' differ from a dealership?

A dealership is NOT always expensive for just oil changes. See my example above. Or do it yourself, or have a mechanic you trust (see below).

For repairs, independent mechanics, especially ones that specialize in your make/model are best.

Avoid quickee lube services. Most staffing such facilities have minimal training.

Right. For oil changes I'm sure they are fine, but so many people get hosed because they feel compelled to go to the dealer. Sho around, get some quotes, that's all I'm saying. I've been burned too many times at the dealership though (i.e. a $26 gallon of coolant).

There are plenty of good mechanics who charge more reasonable prices for service. Find one that you trust and is good with your car.

hatt 10-27-2009 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIRECTVMAN (Post 948786)

When you need a brake job done do you buy new brake pads and brake fluid at Walmart and take the parts to the dealer to be installed ?

I bought NAPA pads for my Superduty to replace myself but took them to the Goodyear place when I was in need of tires or rotation. They didn't have a problem, other than the old pads were still in good shape and they told me not to worry about it yet. The NAPA pads + installation was cheaper than the just the pads at Ford. The factory Ford parts were high quality however; got rid of the truck with 122K and the brakes were still in good shape.

I've never thought about buying quality oil and taking it somewhere since I always change that myself, but it sounds like a good idea if you have a good shop you deal with. Probably save a bunch with a diesel, and you get to chose the exact oil you want.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands