High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Cables & Connections Discuss and learn about HDMI Cables, DVI Cables, HDTV Cable Connections and more!

Power Conditioner question

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #1  
I bleed for HD
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 14,263
Default Power Conditioner question

I have noticed that in most of the high end shops I have been in lately that they have power conditioners (with digtal readouts). On my home theater gear I have adequate surge protectors but I was wondering if there is a big advantage to having a power conditioner. I was looking at some of the monster ones for $180-$200 range but if that is unneccessary or if surge protection is enough some advice would be helpful.


Sorry about the duplicate- my page accidently re-loaded

Last edited by jkkyler; 02-22-2008 at 10:39 PM..
jkkyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #2  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 351
Default

Your surges protect your equipment but they most likley don't remove the "noise" on the AC lines. While this "noise" supposedly can cause some interferance in your equipments picutre you probally don't notice it, which means if you had the "power conditioner" you probally wouldn't notice it. The simple answer, if it ain't broken don't fix it! If you are having problems with interferance, then I might consider it.
jcavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #3  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
joeymetro's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 34
Default

a power conditioner does help. The problem is most people may not notice there is a problem with something until its fixed. i do not think you need to spend over $180 for one though. I found that Pure AV units are a good choice and the price can be as little at $80-100. Pure AV is made by Belkin.
joeymetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #4  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

There is ABSOLUTELY no proof that power conditioners do anything to improve picture or audio quality. If fact there is proof that they don't improve anything at all. But then there is the placebo effect where people think they see or hear a difference. But again, they do nothing to improve anything.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:16 AM   #5  
Missouri_HD_Guy
 
Nevada_MO_Guy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Missouri
Age: 51
Posts: 1,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkyler
On my home theater gear I have adequate surge protectors but I was wondering if there is a big advantage to having a power conditioner.
You have a rear projection TV, I think it would be worth considering getting a uninterruptible power supply to protect your bulb. It would keeps the cooling fan running if you had a power outage and if you got one with some kind of voltage regulation, a low voltage condition would be boosted up and a high voltage condition would be trimmed down.

I have had no problems with the APC brand.

APC - 1300VA Battery Back-Up System

Nevada_MO_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #6  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 351
Default

+1 for APC

Booooo for belkin!
jcavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:49 AM   #7  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
daleb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 7,654
Default

If you have a DVR, or other digital recording device, I would plug that into that mother also. For pretty much the same reason you use an UPS with a computer.
daleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #8  
Ever Eddy
 
edders's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,455
Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcavanaugh View Post
Your surges protect your equipment but they most likley don't remove the "noise" on the AC lines. While this "noise" supposedly can cause some interferance in your equipments picutre you probally don't notice it, which means if you had the "power conditioner" you probally wouldn't notice it. The simple answer, if it ain't broken don't fix it! If you are having problems with interferance, then I might consider it.
I like TOTALLY agree with your assessment.
edders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #9  
Ever Eddy
 
edders's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,455
Default Seems to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada_MO_Guy View Post
You have a rear projection TV, I think it would be worth considering getting a uninterruptible power supply to protect your bulb. It would keeps the cooling fan running if you had a power outage and if you got one with some kind of voltage regulation, a low voltage condition would be boosted up and a high voltage condition would be trimmed down.

I have had no problems with the APC brand.

APC - 1300VA Battery Back-Up System

We have three HDTV's, two are on UPS, one is an APC like you show. The third tv has the UPS sitting next to it waiting for my lazy behind to hook it up, I know really hard huh?

That is the route I like to take with tv's. You should see our two computers they have a total of four UPS, the only thing not on them are the two laser printers and one ink jet.
edders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Power Conditioner question
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power Conditioners vs. UPS rbinck The High Definition Lounge 45 07-23-2011 08:39 AM
External Hard Drive Question Chanute DISH Network Forum 33 02-13-2008 10:39 AM
FIRST TIME BUYER- OF A DLP HDTVMitsubishi Mde Wd-52631 52 Inch Dlp Hdtv Question rickbbb Rear-Projection TVs 22 02-14-2007 02:12 PM
Power conditioner question scootah8 The High Definition Lounge 7 12-29-2005 09:17 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands