High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Programming Providers > Cable Providers
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Cable Providers Discuss and learn about High Definition Comcast, Cox, Time Warner, Adelphia and other cable HDTV providers. RSS - Cable Providers

Basic Cable and unencrypted "in the clear" local HD question

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #16
CMMS Junkie
 
jjufon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Little Elm Tx
Posts: 1,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post

I think you are: The OP was inquiring about what he could assert was required. You gave him unreliable information. What else can I say?
He asked if he could STILL receive the current local channels he is getting if he downgrades to just basic; the answer is a resounding YES!
I’ll eat my words if not

where's your links??
__________________
JJufon

Last edited by jjufon; 12-23-2007 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: added
jjufon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #17
CMMS Junkie
 
jjufon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Little Elm Tx
Posts: 1,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
The reason why it isn't a sticky is because you're mistaken. The currently regulations only require in-the-clear carriage of local broadcast digital channels if the channel itself only broadcasts in digital, or if the subscriber is paying a separate HD package charge.

Good thinking. This is all the regulations currently say about this:So cable companies aren't even required to carry the digital channel if they don't want to.

Seriously, your best bet is to just talk to the engineer honestly, asking your question straight-out. If you try going in with an attitude that he owes you something, especially since he doesn't, but even if he really did, you're much less likely to get an advantageous reply.
yoy may want to read page 9 (Aiii) before YOU give out bad advice.

""(iii) Any signal of any television broadcast station
that is provided by the cable operator to any subscriber,
except a signal which is secondarily transmitted by a
satellite carrier beyond the local service area of such
station"

HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
CABLE TELEVISION CONSUMER PROTECTION AND
COMPETITION ACT OF 1992

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/OSEC/libr...ories/1451.pdf

i could keep quoting all day but it's now up to you to provide some links, documnets etc; otherwise, you're just all hat and no cattle
__________________
JJufon
jjufon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #18
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 1,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjufon View Post
where's your links??
Why should I post mine if you haven't posted yours yet?

Here! I'll be nice: http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Cable/New...factsheet.html

This is a 2001 regulation.

Last edited by bicker; 12-24-2007 at 06:17 AM..
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:13 AM   #19
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 1,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjufon View Post
i could keep quoting all day but it's now up to you to provide some links, documnets etc; otherwise, you're just all hat and no cattle
And I have. You forget one thing: I not only have the regulations I've quoted on my side; I have reality on my side as well.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #20
CMMS Junkie
 
jjufon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Little Elm Tx
Posts: 1,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
And I have. You forget one thing: I not only have the regulations I've quoted on my side; I have reality on my side as well.
your reality is yours only.

You keep trying to make this about the digital transition; this thread is about if you can receive the “free” HD channels with just basic service and you can. If the CC offers your local HD channels then they MUST make them available at the lowest tier. You can’t seem to grasp this; you keep going off about the transition to digital. Not the topic. Your link has NOTHING to do with the “Broadcast channels”, nor does it supersede the Protection act of 1992.
So until you come up with something that does supersede this act well….. I think you might be “breeze short of a gust” when it come to understanding what the customer is entitled to
__________________
JJufon
jjufon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:59 AM   #21
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 1,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjufon View Post
your reality is yours only.
No, the reality I'm referring to is the reality that some cable systems encrypt the HD locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjufon View Post
You keep trying to make this about the digital transition
No, I keep trying to set readers' expectation in line with what they have strong foundation to expect, free from any wishful thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjufon View Post
If the CC offers your local HD channels then they MUST make them available at the lowest tier.
No they don't. Now, we've both put forth our perspective on this several times. We obviously disagree. I've presented my evidence; you claim that you've presented yours. How many times do you really want to go back and forth on this? Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjufon View Post
You can’t seem to grasp this
Don't get rude just because you cannot have your unrebutted soap-box. Grow up and act like an adult.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #22
CMMS Junkie
 
jjufon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Little Elm Tx
Posts: 1,328
Default

This is straight out of the consumer protection act but I guess you just want to ignore that because it doesn’t fit in with your “reality”. You’ve failed to address the facts so I guess we will agree to disagree even though the only information you’ve provided has NOTHING to do with what is REQUIRED level of service in the basic tier. It’s spelled out right there in black in white but you just seem to dismiss it.
Even the document you did provide; which addresses the digital transition states that these channels MUST be provided at the basic tier.
Happy holidays,
__________________
JJufon
jjufon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:15 AM   #23
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 1,745
Default

The "consumer protection act"? Oh gosh, you're a gem. You're right: We're going to have to agree to disagree, because I think you're just making stuff up because you want things to be the way you want them to be. :shrug: Regardless, it's a pointless discussion. The number of subscribers who's cable systems aren't providing local digitals in-the-clear is a small percentage of the whole, because most places are complying with the cable companies' corporate policies in this regard.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:55 AM   #24
CMMS Junkie
 
jjufon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Little Elm Tx
Posts: 1,328
Default

LOL!!
Yeah, this one
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
CABLE TELEVISION CONSUMER PROTECTION AND
COMPETITION ACT OF 1992

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/OSEC/libr...ories/1451.pdf

Which proves all my previous posts about it being the law and all, but hey, since you didn't know about it, it must be meaningless and un-enforceable. I mean golly, it sure is nice that the CC are willing to create there own policies that just so happens to meet the rules outlined above.
Honestly, did you even read it? Trust me, it's ok not to be right all the time. The point of these forums is to learn. Take the time and read it so you can respond more responsibly next time. The CC nickel and dime us enough; no need to for people to spend more then necessary (unless they want more then the broadcast HD).
Have a great new year!

(my last post on the subject; i've proven my point. it's all there in B&W so if anyone wants to ingore it, well..... )
__________________
JJufon

Last edited by jjufon; 12-26-2007 at 08:10 AM..
jjufon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #25
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 1,745
Default

First:
Quote:
Not Found
The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it. Please inform the site administrator of the referring page.�7
Second: We've already established that the 1992 regulation didn't address dual-carry at all, and so dual-carry is only affected by more recently regulations, including and especially the dual must-carry regulation I quoted.

I'm sorry this continues to be a sore point for you. I don't make up the regulations; I am only explaining what they are and how they affect what consumers should and should not expect.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #26
CMMS Junkie
 
jjufon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Little Elm Tx
Posts: 1,328
Default

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/OSEC/libr...ories/1451.pdf

try this.
__________________
JJufon
jjufon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Programming Providers > Cable Providers
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads to Basic Cable and unencrypted "in the clear" local HD question
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Troubleshooting: HD Channels Missing rpatrick Local HDTV Info and Reception 4 05-03-2008 05:33 AM
Comcast and Sharp 52d62u bwcafishing Cable Providers 1 08-26-2007 10:09 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:28 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright ©2004 - 2008, High Def Forum