High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Cable Providers Discuss and learn about High Definition Comcast, Cox, Time Warner, Adelphia and other cable HDTV providers.

Comcast install question - HDMI vs Comp.

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2006, 10:43 AM   #1  
What is HD?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Default Comcast install question - HDMI vs Comp.

My install (Comcast) is happening this Wednesday I from what I've heard the installer will only use/offer component video cable connection.

First off, is this true? If so, I'm thinking about purchasing my own DVI/HDMI cable and have the installer use that.

In people's experience, is it worth using HDMI vs component? For me it may not be an option because my DVD player is using my TV's component inputs.

Thanks

Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:25 PM   #2  
Sammy DLP w/Adelphia HD
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scranton
Posts: 35
Default

Duffman, I really doubt Comcast will have a DVI or HDMI cable for you, they are much more expensive the the generic Component cables they will supply you.. I have adelphia and they only had component cables, I had my own DVI cable ready, although they didn't install it, I went to their company store at our Mall and picked up the HD Cable box there and installed it myself.. What HDTV do you have, I ran into some problems with the Scientfic Box and my Samsung TV, HDMI issues with the DVI cable, works fine but if I use one of the component connections to the tv I get an error message. Some kind of firmware problem with the box, I just use the S Video inputs on the TV for my DVD Recorder and for use of the non HD Channels..
Pinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:58 PM   #3  
Mr. Wizard
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ferndale, Michigan
Age: 71
Posts: 5,981
Default

What's the make & model of your TV, Duffman?
RSawdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:02 AM   #4  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman
In people's experience, is it worth using HDMI vs component? For me it may not be an option because my DVD player is using my TV's component inputs.

Thanks

My personal experience: I bought a Monster HDMI to DVI cable $120, a Panasonic HDMI to DVI cable $50 from Wal-Mart, a Panasonic component cable from Wal-Mart $25. Tested all of the above and the component cable that came with my Motorola 6412. I could not tell a difference between the two HDMI\DVI cables on my TV. I couldn't tell a difference between the two component cables either. Overall the HDMI\DVI cables gave a little more realistic color when compared to either of the component cables but didn't improve clarity. I was able to tweak the picture settings on my TV to make the component connection look just as good as the HDMI\DVI. I returned both HDMI\DVI cables. I kept the Panasonic component cable only because it was 6' and the one that came with the 6412 was 12' so I had less excess cable.

If you don't have extra component connections on your TV and need to use a HDMI or DVI cable I'd suggest buying it online somewhere like www.monoprice.com as opposed to paying $50 dollars or more. The other option would be to consider using s-video for your DVD. That may or may not be an option depending on your DVD player.
lookn4HDTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:53 AM   #5  
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Default Stereo separation using 5 cables versus HDMI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookn4HDTV
My personal experience: I bought a Monster HDMI to DVI cable $120, a Panasonic HDMI to DVI cable $50 from Wal-Mart, a Panasonic component cable from Wal-Mart $25. Tested all of the above and the component cable that came with my Motorola 6412. I could not tell a difference between the two HDMI\DVI cables on my TV. I couldn't tell a difference between the two component cables either. Overall the HDMI\DVI cables gave a little more realistic color when compared to either of the component cables but didn't improve clarity. I was able to tweak the picture settings on my TV to make the component connection look just as good as the HDMI\DVI. I returned both HDMI\DVI cables. I kept the Panasonic component cable only because it was 6' and the one that came with the 6412 was 12' so I had less excess cable.

If you don't have extra component connections on your TV and need to use a HDMI or DVI cable I'd suggest buying it online somewhere like www.monoprice.com as opposed to paying $50 dollars or more. The other option would be to consider using s-video for your DVD. That may or may not be an option depending on your DVD player.
I have a Toshiba HD LCD TV. I am waiting for delivery of a Motorola 6412-III Cable box with an HDMI input as well as component inputs. In the manual for the Toshiba, it states that when using the "MTS" button to switch between the modes (Video, HDMI, etc.), MTS is not available when the TV is in video mode. Does this mean that the only way to hear true stereo separation on the TV Speakers from the cable box input is by using the HDMI input, or can I use the 5-cable setup (3 component video and 2 audio) and also hear stereo.

Has anyone tried both methods? If both work, which will get a better sound quality - for TV and DVD?

Should I just try the 5-cable bundle the box comes with instead of buying the HDMI cable?
rockee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:38 AM   #6  
Sammy DLP w/Adelphia HD
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scranton
Posts: 35
Default

I agree with the others here, don't bust the bank for those rip off $100 to $200 DVI cables you see at CC and BB, a good quality DVI cable should only run you between $20 tp $25.. Although I definitely get a better pic with DVI vs. component, I wish I didn't for component would make my life a lot easier (see my post above).. I think I got my cable from Pacific Cable.. they have a site online...
Pinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:31 AM   #7  
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger
I agree with the others here, don't bust the bank for those rip off $100 to $200 DVI cables you see at CC and BB, a good quality DVI cable should only run you between $20 tp $25.. Although I definitely get a better pic with DVI vs. component, I wish I didn't for component would make my life a lot easier (see my post above).. I think I got my cable from Pacific Cable.. they have a site online...
I actually found a 3 foot cable at a very reputable electronics supply house locally for $20.00 - not in a fancy box like the "monster cables" - just in a plastic bag. I've noticed some cables I have seen seem to be "gold-plated" at the end connectors. I'm not sure if this is just packaging. This cable looks to be silver-plated at the end connectors. Is this OK? I like the convenience of being able to buy something in a store, look at it, try it out, and return it if it doesn't work, rather with mail-order when you need to pay for back and forth postage if you need to return it.
rockee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:56 PM   #8  
A couch and an HDTV to go please.
 
seanandnik's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Boston (Medford)
Age: 47
Posts: 14
Default

I am happy to inform you that comcast does have DVI and HDMI cables. I recently returned my motorola hd/dvr cable box so I could get the new one with the hdmi connection instead of the dvi, although i did this more for the upgraded non hd tv tuner because i have a dvi on my tv so it didnt matter if i had hdmi on my box or not. When i was at comcast i told them i needed a dvi cable. i was ready to have to explain this to the lady behind the counter but she asked "dvi, hdmi, or both ?" so i got a new hdmi to dvi cable along with my new series III motorola box all i had to do was ask!
seanandnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:36 PM   #9  
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanandnik
I am happy to inform you that comcast does have DVI and HDMI cables. I recently returned my motorola hd/dvr cable box so I could get the new one with the hdmi connection instead of the dvi, although i did this more for the upgraded non hd tv tuner because i have a dvi on my tv so it didnt matter if i had hdmi on my box or not. When i was at comcast i told them i needed a dvi cable. i was ready to have to explain this to the lady behind the counter but she asked "dvi, hdmi, or both ?" so i got a new hdmi to dvi cable along with my new series III motorola box all i had to do was ask!
That sounds great, so I will probably just return the cable I just bought, and will try to pick one up at the Comcast office locally.

Have you tried out DVI/HDMI and compared it to your component video/audio connection to see which is better? Also, do you get stereo separation using the HDMI/DVI Cable?
rockee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:18 PM   #10  
Sammy DLP w/Adelphia HD
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scranton
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanandnik
I am happy to inform you that comcast does have DVI and HDMI cables. I recently returned my motorola hd/dvr cable box so I could get the new one with the hdmi connection instead of the dvi, although i did this more for the upgraded non hd tv tuner because i have a dvi on my tv so it didnt matter if i had hdmi on my box or not. When i was at comcast i told them i needed a dvi cable. i was ready to have to explain this to the lady behind the counter but she asked "dvi, hdmi, or both ?" so i got a new hdmi to dvi cable along with my new series III motorola box all i had to do was ask!
I'm impressed!! Great service, to think Comcast is taking over Adelphia, might be a good thing after all...
Pinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:37 AM   #11  
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17
Cool I got an HDMI cable for $60 off......

..by surfing eBay as I usually do for such things.

I got a new HDMI-to-HDMI, Acoustic Research PR185 cable for $25 ($85 at BestBuy) off eBay. All I know is that the HD/SD PQ is better than it was on component, and the audio is much, much better than it was on component cables.

All Hail eBay!!!
sgtwebb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:26 AM   #12  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 303
Default

monoprice.com is cheaper than that - and no hassle with auctions!
puck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:52 AM   #13  
AL2
HD or ELSE!
 
AL2's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: HBG, PA
Posts: 54
Default

I get all my cables from "Cables For Less" http://www.cablesforless.com/

Just ordered gold plated 3' DVI-HDMI for $9.95.

I've bought component and toslink from them before. Good quality and fast reasonable shipping.
AL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #14  
What is HD?
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks all! For those who asked, I have a Sony XBR-40 (Sony's 40" tube) that's about 2 years old. I'm not even sure how many sets of component inputs it has because I had it installed flush into my wall above my fireplace (yes, all 290 pounds of it...).

I'll be pulling the TV out in the next day or so but based on the feedback here will probably end up buying a reasonably priced DVI cable. Audio is not a concern because I'll just go optical straight to my AV receiver.

Thanks again
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:03 PM   #15  
hd junkie
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh-East (Greensburg)
Posts: 1
Default

Just took back my third DVR/HD box in the past 2 weeks. First one, older Comcast DVR/HD box went bad (I guess)...kept shutting off on its own and restarting, 2nd one had a bad hdmi connection (hdmi cable would come out on its own), 3rd one had another bad hdmi connection......hd channels only worked, no SD...couldn't figure it out. Went to local Comcast center and got their composite video cables, returned hdmi switcher and hdmi cable, and am now enjoying great PQ through composite video. Thought I would notice difference, but cannot tell for the life of me!!! Now use hdmi from upconvert dvd to 50" Sony LCD Wega and composite for hd/dvr. Comcast customer service has been nothing but great and am really happy with their product....not sure what is going on with hd/dvr box.....anyone else having hdmi connectivity issues.....i am sticking with composite.
dzsrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:15 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands