High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Programming Providers > Cable Providers
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Cable Providers Discuss and learn about High Definition Comcast, Cox, Time Warner, Adelphia and other cable HDTV providers. RSS - Cable Providers

Probably moving, definitely losing my FIOS

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 21
Default Probably moving, definitely losing my FIOS

Hey Gang,

Okay, here is my dilemma. I am probably going to be moving towards the end of this year. Unfortunately for me, the area I am moving to does not have FIOS. The area I am moving FROM does.

So, needless to say I'm spoiled by my PQ and download speeds.

The area I might be moving into is Cablevision land.

So, my question to you guys is this. Is Cablevision any good? My only other option is DirecTV, but I have never used a dish provider before.

Should I stick w/ Cablevision as a triple play type deal, or keep them soley for phone/internet and go DirecTV?

Remember, I'm spoiled by my FIOS !!!
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,821
Default

I would say go with directv, they do have overall best PQ put up against dishnet.
Internet? If possible seek out a directv partner, they will have as deal with a net provider to bundle if that's what you desire.
leevitalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Progress Not Perfection
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,715
Default

Another reminder:
If you currently are on contract with Verizon and subject to early cancellation penalties -
When your move draws near, call them and tell them your new location and that you would like to have your FIOS service switched to the new location.
Since they are unable to move you they will not impose the early cancellation fees.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charles Krug, 1978 Vintage Selection, Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
Beringer, 1980, Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Port
Morano, 1980 Vintage Port
Beaulieu Vinyards, 1982 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
Stratford, 1983 Merlot
Chateau La France, 1986 St. Emilion
Sutter Home, 1982 Napa Valley Zinfandel


The lonesome sipper
Scottnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnot View Post
Another reminder:
If you currently are on contract with Verizon and subject to early cancellation penalties -
When your move draws near, call them and tell them your new location and that you would like to have your FIOS service switched to the new location.
Since they are unable to move you they will not impose the early cancellation fees.
I'm definitely on contract, and did verify on my latest extension that if I were to move they would not be able to assess the penalty if they could not provide FIOS.

But yes, I will definitely use your angle, so thank you for that.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
I'm definitely on contract, and did verify on my latest extension that if I were to move they would not be able to assess the penalty if they could not provide FIOS.

But yes, I will definitely use your angle, so thank you for that.
It is in the contract that the penalty is null and void if you move to a location that does not have FIOS.
__________________
Doug

http://www.airscapesart.com


airscapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,601
Default

Where are you moving to?
__________________
60" plasma- Pioneer PDP-6010FD
55" LCD Vizio E550VL
42" plasma Panasonic TH-42PX77U
~1500 DVD's , 180 BD's, 115 HD-DVD's , yes originally chose the wrong format , , Toshiba HD DVD Player (HD-XA2)
Sony BDP-S380
Verizon FiOS, its the best HD !


Former FiOS technician
My Family Room Pic #1

My Family Room Pic #2

ITALIAN926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITALIAN926 View Post
Where are you moving to?
Jackson, NJ.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,601
Default

Is it in a Verizon area? NJ has a statewide TV franchise with Verizon, so the possibility exists that they will wire you up.
__________________
60" plasma- Pioneer PDP-6010FD
55" LCD Vizio E550VL
42" plasma Panasonic TH-42PX77U
~1500 DVD's , 180 BD's, 115 HD-DVD's , yes originally chose the wrong format , , Toshiba HD DVD Player (HD-XA2)
Sony BDP-S380
Verizon FiOS, its the best HD !


Former FiOS technician
My Family Room Pic #1

My Family Room Pic #2

ITALIAN926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITALIAN926 View Post
Is it in a Verizon area? NJ has a statewide TV franchise with Verizon, so the possibility exists that they will wire you up.
I already checked - FIOS is not in my development (its a new development too). FIOS Chat rep advised my builder needs to contact Verizon engineering. Not sure how to get him to do that, esp. if there is a cost involved on the builder's part.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,601
Default

Is construction still going on? If its a new construction, Im surprised it isnt being pre-wired. According to this list, it IS available in Jackson. http://www.fiberexperts.com/new-jersey-fios.html Keep in mind, there may be fiber run, but Verizons address database may be screwed up. There are many streets that are wired, but the address qualification isnt up to date. You should contact the builders, they would know if fiber has been installed for the development. If they say there IS fiber, call back Verizon and ask for a callback from an engineer.
__________________
60" plasma- Pioneer PDP-6010FD
55" LCD Vizio E550VL
42" plasma Panasonic TH-42PX77U
~1500 DVD's , 180 BD's, 115 HD-DVD's , yes originally chose the wrong format , , Toshiba HD DVD Player (HD-XA2)
Sony BDP-S380
Verizon FiOS, its the best HD !


Former FiOS technician
My Family Room Pic #1

My Family Room Pic #2


Last edited by ITALIAN926; 02-11-2012 at 07:33 PM..
ITALIAN926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #11
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITALIAN926 View Post
Is construction still going on? If its a new construction, Im surprised it isnt being pre-wired. According to this list, it IS available in Jackson. http://www.fiberexperts.com/new-jersey-fios.html Keep in mind, there may be fiber run, but Verizons address database may be screwed up. There are many streets that are wired, but the address qualification isnt up to date. You should contact the builders, they would know if fiber has been installed for the development. If they say there IS fiber, call back Verizon and ask for a callback from an engineer.
It is a completely new road w/ only 1 spec house on it. I've inquired to the builder if he can get FIOS in the ground. I found some of those green Verizon boxes in the ground onsite, so I know Verizon knows about the road in some fashion.
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #12
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
It is a completely new road w/ only 1 spec house on it. I've inquired to the builder if he can get FIOS in the ground. I found some of those green Verizon boxes in the ground onsite, so I know Verizon knows about the road in some fashion.
We have site surveys that customers may request to have a technician come out and verify physical serviceability. Once the technician codes it as serviceable, the flag for that address is updated in the system. Perhaps similar option with Verizon?
__________________
Comcast Communications Technician 5+ years
CommTech3906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 21
Default

The builder got back to me and informed me FIOS is not in the ground where I am. So its Cablevision or Satellite for me. So, where do should I ask the next relevant question? Cablevision vs. Satellite?
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,601
Default

Are houses still being built there? Its an outrage this stuff isnt being buried while ditches are open. Verizon probably layed copper, I think by law, they must. To think they didnt lay fiber at the same time is ridiculous.

I hate Cablevision TV, but their bundles probably makes the most amount of sense money-wise.
__________________
60" plasma- Pioneer PDP-6010FD
55" LCD Vizio E550VL
42" plasma Panasonic TH-42PX77U
~1500 DVD's , 180 BD's, 115 HD-DVD's , yes originally chose the wrong format , , Toshiba HD DVD Player (HD-XA2)
Sony BDP-S380
Verizon FiOS, its the best HD !


Former FiOS technician
My Family Room Pic #1

My Family Room Pic #2

ITALIAN926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #15
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITALIAN926 View Post
Are houses still being built there? Its an outrage this stuff isnt being buried while ditches are open. Verizon probably layed copper, I think by law, they must. To think they didnt lay fiber at the same time is ridiculous.

I hate Cablevision TV, but their bundles probably makes the most amount of sense money-wise.
Its a 25 house sub-division and only 1 spec house is up. 3 other lots are under some form of contract, and a building permit has been applied for on the lot I will occupy.

I think its pretty lousy FIOS isn't in the ground there. Now I have to figure out how to watch TV. I don't mind spending 10 bucks a month or more if the quality is better. I can always use Cablevision for my internet and phone. (not paying VZ for phone service w/ all the taxes and garbage)
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Programming Providers > Cable Providers
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:20 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum