High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Blu-Ray and Ultra HD Blu-Ray Players Blu-Ray Players

Samsung BD-P1400 Sale $299 Amazon.com

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #1  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,947
Default Samsung BD-P1400 Sale $299 Amazon.com

This is a great deal on a 1080p Blu-ray player that can pass the advanced audio codecs over HDMI, including DTS-HD MA.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-P14...blurayforum-20

This price sure surprised me and it is eligible for the 5 free software units by mail. I don't need a player or I would buy one. I would prefer that Samsung was one and done with dual format players and sees this player sell great at this price.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:02 PM   #2  
one love
 
anythingwt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 4,417
Default

Why waste your money on a player that will be a doorstop within a year because it is not 1.1 or 2.0 compliant?




Okay okay i'm just kidding.. I just had to be the first one to crap on this thread.

Real good price though for a BD player. Good info.
anythingwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:32 PM   #3  
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

This BD player does not have the built in HD audio decoders unfortunately so you will need a new receiver that has them.

It is a good price and I think this shows that the format war still has so good things to offer the consumer still. Now if the war can get these BD players to get Profile 2.0 that would take away another reason I chose HD DVD.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #4  
UNOTIS
 
unotis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: FLORIDA
Age: 64
Posts: 4,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
This BD player does not have the built in HD audio decoders unfortunately so you will need a new receiver that has them.

It is a good price and I think this shows that the format war still has so good things to offer the consumer still. Now if the war can get these BD players to get Profile 2.0 that would take away another reason I chose HD DVD.
He is correct, but if someone didn't care about sound be decoded within the player or the new features coming out this would be a good price.

It might even temp me if I could live without the 1.1 spec, I don't know about the maybe 2.0 spec if that actually occurs (they do seem to making it only a potential spec right now).

Although I expect with the new 1.1 spec players coming out soon you will see alot more of these great buys on the soon to be obsolete 1.0 Blu-Ray players (I'm not being mean but literally if you look at the definition of obsolete they will be) and I'm sorry to be strict in the use the meaning.

Last edited by unotis; 12-08-2007 at 05:50 PM..
unotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #5  
Super Moderator
 
bruceames's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 17,126
Default

Yeah, it's a good price as long as the buyer is fully aware of the 1.0 profile and its implications and is ok with that. Otherwise it's still way too expensive.
bruceames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #6  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Yeah, it's a good price as long as the buyer is fully aware of the 1.0 profile and its implications and is ok with that. Otherwise it's still way too expensive.
Way too expensive? Go ahead and show me an HD DVD player that can pass all advanced audio codecs bitstream over HDMI 1.3 for processing by one of many capable receivers now for $299 and have access to about 270 titles with lossless audio and play them all at 1080p. Of course you can't, because it not only doesn't exist and the software doesn't exist, but it won't exist by this time next year.

You guys are the biggest bunch of loonies, you want lossless audio, this beats anything HD DVD has and beats anything HD DVD is likely to ever have. Go ahead and continue with the silly, finalized specifications nonsense and built in decoders with almost no software to decode as a great deal. As you have probably noticed, very few are stupid enough to believe it.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:33 AM   #7  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
Way too expensive? Go ahead and show me an HD DVD player that can pass all advanced audio codecs bitstream over HDMI 1.3 for processing by one of many capable receivers now for $299 and have access to about 270 titles with lossless audio and play them all at 1080p. Of course you can't, because it not only doesn't exist and the software doesn't exist, but it won't exist by this time next year.

You guys are the biggest bunch of loonies, you want lossless audio, this beats anything HD DVD has and beats anything HD DVD is likely to ever have. Go ahead and continue with the silly, finalized specifications nonsense and built in decoders with almost no software to decode as a great deal. As you have probably noticed, very few are stupid enough to believe it.

Chris
STFU Mr. FUD! Since when does this machine beat anything HD DVD has? Why the hell would you not want the player to decode the audio???? How many J6Ps are going to have a receiver (HDMI 1.3) that decode all those codecs? You are dreaming!

IMO, you have bcome more of a blu worm that the flaming fanboys by your long winded, BS posts.

Damn you are getting worse!
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:50 AM   #8  
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4HD View Post
STFU Mr. FUD! Since when does this machine beat anything HD DVD has? Why the hell would you not want the player to decode the audio???? How many J6Ps are going to have a receiver (HDMI 1.3) that decode all those codecs? You are dreaming!

IMO, you have bcome more of a blu worm that the flaming fanboys by your long winded, BS posts.

Damn you are getting worse!
Agreed.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:50 AM   #9  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 69
Default 1400

If I had the money now I'd buy one. I bought the HD DVD only because it too was on sale. Once Christmas is over I'll be in the market to land a Blu Ray deck.
e_buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:56 AM   #10  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
Agreed.
Go ahead and show me where what I stated was false and go ahead and show me the list of 270 HD DVD software titles with lossless audio these built in decoders can decode. Show me the HD DVD player that will be purchased for $299 and do what this Blu-ray player can do. You guys can attack me but can never actually attack my statements. By year end, people will actually own this Samsung player and actually have access to the software with lossless audio to use it with. All any owner of a $299 HD DVD player can have is the format almost nobody wants and the built in lossless audio decoders with not much software to decode. Oh ya and they can talk about the finalized specifications, blah, blah, blah.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:40 AM   #11  
My toes are high def!
 
AlphaLog's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 171
Default

I don't know, seems like a nicely competively priced player for a change, even if it is just profile 1.0.

Nevertheless, the little woman would kill me if I spent money to buy another High Def player with the wedding coming up in April. So I probably won't be able to go purple for a while yet.
AlphaLog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:52 AM   #12  
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
Go ahead and show me where what I stated was false and go ahead and show me the list of 270 HD DVD software titles with lossless audio these built in decoders can decode. Show me the HD DVD player that will be purchased for $299 and do what this Blu-ray player can do. You guys can attack me but can never actually attack my statements. By year end, people will actually own this Samsung player and actually have access to the software with lossless audio to use it with. All any owner of a $299 HD DVD player can have is the format almost nobody wants and the built in lossless audio decoders with not much software to decode. Oh ya and they can talk about the finalized specifications, blah, blah, blah.

Chris
Hmm, I atttacked both you and your points! Is the price of the unit good? NO, not when it doesn't have the decoders inside!!! The HD DVD have the built-in decoders and I can choose to use them or not! The Sammy would be good for anyone with a receiver than can decode the audio and is HDMI 1.3?

But, to side with you on this I guess one, many people will connect this to their TV speakers and lossless/lossy won't matter.
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #13  
$hitter was full
 
cousin eddie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
All any owner of a $299 HD DVD player can have is the format almost nobody wants and the built in lossless audio decoders with not much software to decode.

Chris
FUD! What is the ratio of SAL's between BD and HD DVD? It seems there are more people out there that want an HD DVD player than a BD player. There are more BD players on the market only because Sony made gamers support their format.

So, Chris, you are full of shit. You are also a BD fanboy and your posts are tiring and predictable.
cousin eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:33 AM   #14  
Nikopol
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousin eddie View Post
FUD! What is the ratio of SAL's between BD and HD DVD? It seems there are more people out there that want an HD DVD player than a BD player. There are more BD players on the market only because Sony made gamers support their format.

So, Chris, you are full of shit. You are also a BD fanboy and your posts are tiring and predictable.
Our discussions here are much more enjoyable, if there are no personal attacks, as tempting as any posterīs opinion might be.

I agree on the point, that people would not buy HD DVD SAL, if they thought Blu-ray would offer any "killer feature" HD DVD doesnīt offer. HD DVDīs killer feature is offering the same quality (in the eyes of the average customer, not for all the 'philes of course ) as BD, but for now at a significantly lower price.

Oh, and the price of the BD SAL here is quite nice indeed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:36 AM   #15  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 816
Default

I think Blu Ray has the greatest potential and is the better technology when it is fully "developed." But Beta was a better technology than VHS, so the better one doesn't always win. When I saw all 4 Die Hard movies on one Blu Ray I began to realize the possibilities.

If this Blu Ray player will play any blu ray disc in the future, then it is a good buy for anyone who doesn't care about interactive and web based features. For me 1.1 and 2.0 are not important, I just want to see the movie in High Def. But I don't want to invest in any format that might not win. Maybe there will be competing formats forever.
stonedog23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Samsung BD-P1400 Sale $299 Amazon.com
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorola HDT101 vs. Samsung SIR-T451 jeffkrug Local HDTV Info and Reception 8 02-02-2008 02:18 PM
Opinion on this weeks BOGO sale. crazyal High Definition Media 46 12-08-2007 10:12 PM
Samsung TX-P2670WH zeke767 Direct-View (tube) TVs 6 03-16-2005 10:41 AM
Samsung sir ts 160 for sale mak Promotions, Announcements, Hot Deals 2 01-29-2005 05:24 PM
Samsung 5685 vs. Mitsubishi 62525? Please Help! samjazz Rear-Projection TVs 0 08-29-2004 07:45 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:23 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Đ2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands