High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource (https://www.highdefforum.com/index.php)
-   Blu-Ray and Ultra HD Blu-Ray Players (https://www.highdefforum.com/blu-ray-ultra-hd-blu-ray-players-65/)
-   -   1080p to 7201 issues (https://www.highdefforum.com/blu-ray-ultra-hd-blu-ray-players/138497-1080p-7201-issues.html)

ponosdad 10-31-2012 10:21 PM

1080p to 7201 issues
 
I have a Samsung LCD and a PS3 connected with HDMI. When I start them up the screen says 1080p but when I start a video game it automatically switches to 720i. I have the PS3 set to 1080i and I think I have the TV set to 1080i. Any ideas?

jkkyler 10-31-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponosdad (Post 1284674)
I have a Samsung LCD and a PS3 connected with HDMI. When I start them up the screen says 1080p but when I start a video game it automatically switches to 720i. I have the PS3 set to 1080i and I think I have the TV set to 1080i. Any ideas?

1) No such thing as 720i
2) you can't 'set your tv' whatever it's native resolution is that is what it always displays.
Since you seem lost, if it looks good to you I would leave well enough alone.

ponosdad 11-01-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkkyler (Post 1284675)
1) No such thing as 720i
2) you can't 'set your tv' whatever it's native resolution is that is what it always displays.
Since you seem lost, if it looks good to you I would leave well enough alone.

Fine. The TV is 1080p and it switches to 720p when I put in a game. You don't have to be an a-hole. Anyone else besides Mr. Genius?

jkkyler 11-01-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponosdad (Post 1284823)
Fine. The TV is 1080p and it switches to 720p when I put in a game. You don't have to be an a-hole. Anyone else besides Mr. Genius?

Dude - I'm not being an asshole - your tv can only show 1080p . A tv can only display it's native resolution - no matter what you feed your tv it is DISPLAYING it at 1080p and there is no such thing as720i- so your question made no sense . If you can't explain or understand what your trying to ask we can't help you - my advice still stands if you aren't noticing any problems visually then I would leave well enough alone. If you are having a problem and can explain in some way that makes sense I will be glad to help you ( I am glad to help many but the basic question or problem has to make sense) . - Don't get all pissed at me because your question made no sense. (your tv can't switch to 720p)

AlphaCharlie 11-02-2012 11:10 AM

Try switching to a higher quality hdmi cable and make sure is less than 3m in length or get a repeater or redmere cable. Other than that I would have no clue.

jkkyler 11-02-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaCharlie (Post 1284913)
Try switching to a higher quality hdmi cable and make sure is less than 3m in length or get a repeater or redmere cable. Other than that I would have no clue.

There is no such thing as a 'higher quality' HDMI cable - either it works or it doesn't and there is no discernible/measurable picture difference between cables. A $2.50 cable will give you the same picture as a $150 Monster Brand cable regardless of what the advertisers and manufacturers want you to believe. If the op can state specifically what the trouble is (what he is seeing or not seeing) it can probably be resolved but using inaccurate terms confuses the issue and I have no idea what problem they are having.

AlphaCharlie 11-02-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkkyler (Post 1284925)
There is no such thing as a 'higher quality' HDMI cable - either it works or it doesn't and there is no discernible/measurable picture difference between cables. A $2.50 cable will give you the same picture as a $150 Monster Brand cable regardless of what the advertisers and manufacturers want you to believe. If the op can state specifically what the trouble is (what he is seeing or not seeing) it can probably be resolved but using inaccurate terms confuses the issue and I have no idea what problem they are having.

From my assumption there is a hdmi cable w/ or w/o Ethernet then a high speed hdmi cable w/ or w/o Ethernet... so if he was running a standard hdmi cable that wasn't high speed then that would be a 'higher quality' cable... no? Also, to run 1080p you need a high speed cable and if you don't it will send at the best resolution as possible which in his case may be 720p.

jkkyler 11-02-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaCharlie (Post 1284931)
From my assumption there is a hdmi cable w/ or w/o Ethernet then a high speed hdmi cable w/ or w/o Ethernet... so if he was running a standard hdmi cable that wasn't high speed then that would be a 'higher quality' cable... no? Also, to run 1080p you need a high speed cable and if you don't it will send at the best resolution as possible which in his case may be 720p.

There is a distinction between w and w/o ethernet and there are some cables rated for higher speed but that is for something else as well - all HDMI cables are capable of transmitting up to 1080p (technically standard and not high speed cables are certified up to 1080i but I have never known one not to handle 1080p nor have I heard any other claims to the contrary) and you will see no diff in picture quality between a 'basic HDMI cable and a high speed cable with ethernet' Ethernet cables are basically for added home networking. Length more than anything is a factor - at runs past typically 25-30 you can begin to have problems but once again either it works or it doesn't - these cables only transmit 1;s and 0's so there is no variation in data - either it is there or it isn't.

you can read more here if you like
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hec.aspx


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:55 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands