High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource (https://www.highdefforum.com/index.php)
-   Blu-Ray Movie Reviews and Software discussion (https://www.highdefforum.com/blu-ray-movie-reviews-software-discussion-66/)
-   -   Music ~ Concert > BluRay's (https://www.highdefforum.com/blu-ray-movie-reviews-software-discussion/140399-music-concert-blurays.html)

ImRizzo 03-02-2013 05:22 PM

Music ~ Concert > BluRay's
 
I thought others may appreciate Music Concerts and would like to post your impressions of any disc you may own or, have rented. Hopefully it would sparks some interest from others. I currently have about 25 various concerts and I rewatch these more than the movies I have in my collection, and I'm always on the lookout for new disc.

Recent years the filming and recording of these concerts have improved greatly, as HD filming under concert type recordings presents many difficult conditions to overcome, dark on stage lighting, intense spot lighting and special lighting effects. The cameras depth of field due to these conditions have limited focal ranges but that seems to be improving with each new event.
The Audio content is always excellent and constantly getting better.

I'm currently being enthralled by the latest Eagles Farewell Tour Blu Release,
http://images3.static-bluray.com/mov...3541_large.jpg .......and all I can say is WOW!

Lets hear about your selections.

My next acquisition is Led Zepplin (on it's way)

http://images2.static-bluray.com/mov...6148_large.jpg

quad4.0 03-02-2013 11:03 PM

You will love the zep show. They start kind of off then once they get warmed up-HS! I had the pleasure of a led zep show in Syracuse, at the aud, not the dome it was not built yet. It was the best show I had ever been to and to this day. People sat down and were in awe and enjoyed it in silence until applause was called for. The entire show.
And don't forget bluray discs are lossless audio. They all have a great sound.

ImRizzo 03-03-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quad4.0 (Post 1303990)
You will love the zep show. They start kind of off then once they get warmed up-HS! I had the pleasure of a led zep show in Syracuse, at the aud, not the dome it was not built yet. It was the best show I had ever been to and to this day. People sat down and were in awe and enjoyed it in silence until applause was called for. The entire show.
And don't forget bluray discs are lossless audio. They all have a great sound.

Did you see this tribute performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46pnW2HNQ4A

jumbo eggs 06-14-2013 11:53 PM

I have two concerts on blu-ray: Within Temptation: Black Symphony and The Killers: Live from The Royal Albert Hall

Both of these concerts are absolutely amazing. The HD sound is incredible.

If you're into Symphonic Metal, give Within Temptation a try. You can, of course, find much of their music on YouTube. If you're into pop, check out The Killers.

I have various other concerts just on DVD. Erasure, Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, Alizee, Ayumi Hamasaki, and a bunch more. While the video isn't as good as a blu-ray, the audio on those are phenomenal. I Just Can't Get Enough :p

quad4.0 06-15-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImRizzo (Post 1304006)
Did you see this tribute performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46pnW2HNQ4A

yes, funny stuff. These "kids" have no clue as to the actual experience of growing with this band, hearing new stuff the 1st time!
They can only wish. We had the pleasure of going thru it, and who knew then? I have also the Letterman show they were on on my DVR. Can you belive we got this far Rizz?

ImRizzo 06-15-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quad4.0 (Post 1320280)
yes, funny stuff. These "kids" have no clue as to the actual experience of growing with this band, hearing new stuff the 1st time!
They can only wish. We had the pleasure of going thru it, and who knew then? I have also the Letterman show they were on on my DVR. Can you belive we got this far Rizz?

Still not so sure I'm there, yet !

quad4.0 06-15-2013 11:21 AM

I have been drawn to the dvd thing from day one. I discovered Dolby Surround on VHS and they do sound really good too! For tape.
But when DD came along it got me all excited. I have a nice collection of dvd music. Then here comes lossless, dvd audio/sacd. I went big for, and glad of it! You have got to hear "Fragile" in 5.1! Then here comes Blu Ray and here we go! Lossless audio and crystal clear video. One of my favorites is the "Return to Forever" at Montruex show. Had the dvd and grabbed the BD as soon as it was out.
Eagle Vision has some really good stuff out there. One a sampler that sold for $0.95 on amazon. Loaded with good stuff.
For any member who likes music and has blu ray set up, this stuff is fabulous. Most have a 5.1 setup for movies already, just put the disc in and crank it up! Like the sound movies have? You have to hear this!

PS for the old farts: Help, ON BD is out in 9 days on amazon. Lossless Beatles? anyone?

quad4.0 06-15-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImRizzo (Post 1320282)
Still not so sure I'm there, yet !

That's how I feel often too,
but we do get respect. at my age I could give two about most things. When I was a kid it was girls, now it's beer, music and a puff or two of medicine

ImRizzo 06-15-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quad4.0 (Post 1320285)
That's how I feel often too,
but we do get respect. at my age I could give two about most things. When I was a kid it was girls, now it's beer, music and a puff or two of medicine

understood.....

bruceames 06-15-2013 05:33 PM

Hey Rizz, I like that Eagles concert too. Haven't seen it in a while but I bought it on HD DVD about 6 years ago.

I do highly recommend the History of the Eagles 3 disc set. The doc is fascinating but the real gem is that 9 song 1977 DC concert. My jaw was on the floor when I heard how great the AQ is (the PQ isn't bad either) and how tight the performances are. I'll probably play that 50 times before all's said and done and I'm not even a die hard Eagles fan.

bruceames 06-15-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quad4.0 (Post 1320283)
PS for the old farts: Help, ON BD is out in 9 days on amazon. Lossless Beatles? anyone?

I'll have to get Help! for sure.

morriscroy 06-16-2013 07:11 AM

I haven't picked up many dvds/blurays of rock concerts.

(Only concert bluray I have is the "The Doors: Live at the Bowl '68").

Of the concerts dvds I have watched over the years, the vast majority were huge disappointments to me. Despite the better picture and audio quality, these concerts were typically recorded when these particular bands were way past their prime. For many of these bands, the video footage looked like they were just "going through the motions" on stage. (Or even worse, they looked bored on stage).

These days, I mostly search on youtube for old bootleg concert footage of bands when they were in their prime or earlier. Back when such bands were in their prime (or even further back in their "early days"), they seemed to be a lot more "hungry" and "into it" with great intensity (for lack of a better description).

Sorta like the difference between a "KISS Alive 1" and a "KISS Alive 3".

bruceames 06-16-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morriscroy (Post 1320393)
I haven't picked up many dvds/blurays of rock concerts.

(Only concert bluray I have is the "The Doors: Live at the Bowl '68").

Of the concerts dvds I have watched over the years, the vast majority were huge disappointments to me. Despite the better picture and audio quality, these concerts were typically recorded when these particular bands were way past their prime. For many of these bands, the video footage looked like they were just "going through the motions" on stage. (Or even worse, they looked bored on stage).

These days, I mostly search on youtube for old bootleg concert footage of bands when they were in their prime or earlier. Back when such bands were in their prime (or even further back in their "early days"), they seemed to be a lot more "hungry" and "into it" with great intensity (for lack of a better description).

Sorta like the difference between a "KISS Alive 1" and a "KISS Alive 3".

I'm the same way, much prefer the "take me back" stuff. When I see a concert disc, the first question is when was it recorded. For vintage stuff in the 70's and earlier, I prefer TV appearances because usually the AQ is so bad on concerts (besides, that's what is mostly available anyway). Some of my favorites are the Midnight Special series, The Tami Show, The British Invasion series, Ed Sullivan Rock & Roll Classics, and the Hulluballoo series.

ImRizzo 06-16-2013 07:46 AM

Another great show, for showcasing great music was the Smother's Brothers they introduced a lot of NEW music

bruceames 06-16-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImRizzo (Post 1320396)
Another great show, for showcasing great music was the Smother's Brothers they introduced a lot of NEW music

I see the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour is available on Amazon, but I think those are mostly comedy and interviews. I wish they would release a separate set of just the musical performances from the show.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:36 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands