High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Blu-Ray Movie Reviews and Software discussion A place to post your Blu-ray movie reviews or simply discuss movies, TV shows, etc. on the Blu-ray format!

Poltergeist (25th Anniversary Edition)

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #1  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: where it's cold most of the year
Posts: 1,164
Default Poltergeist (25th Anniversary Edition)



Title: Poltergeist (25th Anniversary Edition)
BD-25 Single-Layer Disc
Video: 1080p/VC-1
Audio: Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Aspect Ratio: 2:40:1
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, Korean and Portuguese
Run time: 114 minutes
Studio: Warner Bros.
Rating: PG
Region: Region Free
Player used for review: Sony BDP-S350


I honestly did not expect this movie to be as crisp, clear and vivid as it was for such an old movie and if anything, it flat out shines compared to many newer releases. There is grain, but of the healthy type that makes it that much better. The studios did their homework on this one so well that it’s worth tossing out your dvd if you have one as the transfer is so much better than one could think was possible. Colors are very pleasing and realistic. My wife wanted to know if this was a “new” movie as it looked so good. There are some special effects that were not perfect, but it did not take away from this film at all, nor did a bit of softness now and then which was so minor as to be hardly noticed. There is one chapter that abruptly ends (the kitchen scene) and jumps to the next chapter which seemed like a fault, but after searching online, it seems it was cut this way for home video from the studio. For $9.99 it was a steal for me.

The story is about paranormal happenings in a house that progressively get more intense as time goes on. At first it fascinates the wife, but later on she is not so excited about the whole thing, especially when her daughter…….. well, I think most people have seem this film, but won’t spoil it anymore that this. A worthy upgrade from dvd at a bargain price. I hope more studios take note of transfers like this that make it worthwhile to own a hdtv.

The film comes in a hard cover booklet type case, which may appeal to some but not all. Booklet does a fair job of giving credits to those deserved.

Movie: 8/10
VQ: 8/10
AQ: I don't have an audio set up, just my HDTV speakers so can't comment on the audio.
Final word: Worth buying.

Last edited by okdude123; 01-12-2010 at 11:22 PM..
okdude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #2  
60 is the new 50
 
gossamer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Da Boogie-down Bronx
Posts: 596
Default

I got this for 14.99 a while back. Picture is great but it's lacking in the extras department.
gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #3  
Official HDF BD Reviewer
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mississippi, U.S.A. Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
Posts: 9,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer View Post
I got this for 14.99 a while back. Picture is great but it's lacking in the extras department.
I actually just got my first Digi-Book the other day and other than being too tall I really like the packaging. I just couldn't wait on Dr. Strangelove so that's why I decided to break down and get the Digi-Book.
HD Goofnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #4  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: where it's cold most of the year
Posts: 1,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I actually just got my first Digi-Book the other day and other than being too tall I really like the packaging. I just couldn't wait on Dr. Strangelove so that's why I decided to break down and get the Digi-Book.
So that's what it's called! I like that better than my "hard cover booklet type case"
okdude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #5  
Official HDF BD Reviewer
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mississippi, U.S.A. Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
Posts: 9,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdude123 View Post
So that's what it's called! I like that better than my "hard cover booklet type case"
Yeah, there are several U.S. released BDs that have been released onto Digi-Books including Amadeus, Dr. Strangelove, The Green Mile, and The Shawshank Redemption.
HD Goofnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #6  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: where it's cold most of the year
Posts: 1,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Yeah, there are several U.S. released BDs that have been released onto Digi-Books including Amadeus, Dr. Strangelove, The Green Mile, and The Shawshank Redemption.
They look ok, but a little odd on the BD rack at home!
okdude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #7  
HD Is Off Da Hook!
 
GymBrat98's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,658
Default

Thanks for the review OKDude.
The little girl in this movie creeped me out. I think she died shortly after the second movie was made.
GymBrat98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #8  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: where it's cold most of the year
Posts: 1,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymBrat98 View Post
Thanks for the review OKDude.
The little girl in this movie creeped me out. I think she died shortly after the second movie was made.
You're welcome GymBrat. I never knew the girl died after the second movie, thanks for the info!
okdude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #9  
60 is the new 50
 
gossamer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Da Boogie-down Bronx
Posts: 596
Default

Seems like a cast member died after every sequel...creepy.
gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #10  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: where it's cold most of the year
Posts: 1,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer View Post
Seems like a cast member died after every sequel...creepy.
I can imagine, at least in some movies anyway, that if the actors get easily spooked, that maybe to some degree the storyline works on their minds too much. Probably not the case, but even though there was no gore, some movies like this, however entertaining and harmless to us, may not be something you want to show to people living in religious fear. I wouldn't show this movie to my Auntie for example unless I wanted to get whacked over my head with her cane.
okdude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #11  
mmmmm High Def
 
soupnazi's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,152
Default

To cut costs for the film some real human skeletons were used instead of constructing dozens of corpses for the dugout swimming pool scene where the mom (JoBeth Williams) falls in. She didn't know about the real skeletons at the time of the shoot.

I believe the urban legend is that 4 cast members from the poltergeist series of movies died prematurely and many believe that these skeletons have something to do with it.
soupnazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #12  
High Definition is the definition of life.
Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: where it's cold most of the year
Posts: 1,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupnazi View Post
To cut costs for the film some real human skeletons were used instead of constructing dozens of corpses for the dugout swimming pool scene where the mom (JoBeth Williams) falls in. She didn't know about the real skeletons at the time of the shoot.

I believe the urban legend is that 4 cast members from the poltergeist series of movies died prematurely and many believe that these skeletons have something to do with it.
Some more info on that. http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/poltergeist.asp
okdude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #13  
I'm Fabulous.
 
awol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdude123 View Post
I can imagine, at least in some movies anyway, that if the actors get easily spooked, that maybe to some degree the storyline works on their minds too much. Probably not the case, but even though there was no gore, some movies like this, however entertaining and harmless to us, may not be something you want to show to people living in religious fear. I wouldn't show this movie to my Auntie for example unless I wanted to get whacked over my head with her cane.
Don't forget about the face ripping scene. That was pretty gory.
awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #14  
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
tvine2000's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: vermont
Posts: 1,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdude123 View Post


Title: Poltergeist (25th Anniversary Edition)
BD-25 Single-Layer Disc
Video: 1080p/VC-1
Audio: Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Aspect Ratio: 2:40:1
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, Korean and Portuguese
Run time: 114 minutes
Studio: Warner Bros.
Rating: PG
Region: Region Free
Player used for review: Sony BDP-S350


I honestly did not expect this movie to be as crisp, clear and vivid as it was for such an old movie and if anything, it flat out shines compared to many newer releases. There is grain, but of the healthy type that makes it that much better. The studios did their homework on this one so well that it’s worth tossing out your dvd if you have one as the transfer is so much better than one could think was possible. Colors are very pleasing and realistic. My wife wanted to know if this was a “new” movie as it looked so good. There are some special effects that were not perfect, but it did not take away from this film at all, nor did a bit of softness now and then which was so minor as to be hardly noticed. There is one chapter that abruptly ends (the kitchen scene) and jumps to the next chapter which seemed like a fault, but after searching online, it seems it was cut this way for home video from the studio. For $9.99 it was a steal for me.

The story is about paranormal happenings in a house that progressively get more intense as time goes on. At first it fascinates the wife, but later on she is not so excited about the whole thing, especially when her daughter…….. well, I think most people have seem this film, but won’t spoil it anymore that this. A worthy upgrade from dvd at a bargain price. I hope more studios take note of transfers like this that make it worthwhile to own a hdtv.

The film comes in a hard cover booklet type case, which may appeal to some but not all. Booklet does a fair job of giving credits to those deserved.

Movie: 8/10
VQ: 8/10
AQ: I don't have an audio set up, just my HDTV speakers so can't comment on the audio.
Final word: Worth buying.
i don't know why your surprized at the pq of this ''old movie''? it just proves if a studio is willing to put the time and money into a transfer good things happen.

we have seen it with other catalog titles ,like blade runner. north by north west is another. and the wiz of oz.
tvine2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #15  
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvine2000 View Post
i don't know why your surprized at the pq of this ''old movie''? it just proves if a studio is willing to put the time and money into a transfer good things happen.

we have seen it with other catalog titles ,like blade runner. north by north west is another. and the wiz of oz.
"The Shooter" is another 10+ transfer for all you John Wayne fans.
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource >
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


to Poltergeist (25th Anniversary Edition)
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Halloween titles soupnazi Blu-Ray Movie Reviews and Software discussion 34 10-22-2008 03:50 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:36 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands