High Def Forum
Thank you for visiting. This is our website archive. Please visit our main website by clicking the logo above.

Should I wait for DVR?

Jimbos G
03-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Currently Local HD channels are not available in my area through DirectTV. However they will be available in May. HD DVR is a necessity for me . In order to do this my sat. dish needs to be upgraded. DTV will install this but the DVR is only compatible with the 3-LNB dish. So, when local channels become available in HD in May, I will need to upgrade the dish AGAIN to a 5-LNB .A Compatible DVR H2O receiver will be available "sometime in 2006" according to DTV.

Couple of questions. Do I wait? or get the upgrade to the 3-LNB Now ( Currently $399 with install and DVR after $100 rebate) and upgrade again later?

03-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Do you have an old SD DVR or the HD one now

03-16-2006, 09:43 PM
i decided to get the dvr when MPEG4 will be available, i have H20 now with 5LNB.

Jimbos G
03-16-2006, 09:48 PM
I've got an SD DVR now. I am purchasing a New HDTV tomorrow. When is the MPEG 4 DVR available?

03-17-2006, 07:55 AM
all depends where you are... I know in Boston area the 5 lnb hd/dvr won't be of any use till may or june....locals are avail in hd in boston but not on the new hd/dvr....rollout is may or june....

03-17-2006, 12:03 PM
I would call DTV and try to find someone "in the know" that can verify whether or not DTV will offer a free upgrade to the Mpeg4 HD DVR from the HR10-250 when it becomes available. The only answer I could get was "probably", but I really didn't pursue an answer very hard. Also, you may be able to get them to bring out a 5LNB Dish as well in anticipation of the HD locals in your area and your probable future upgrade to the HR20 HD DVR.

If they won't bring out a 5LNB Dish, you could get the H20 HD receiver for free ($100 rebate) which should get them to bring out the new Dish, then upgrade to the Mpeg4 HD DVR later. Although you wouldn't have a DVR for now unless you also got the separate R15 DVR for $100 (like I decided to do). The downside is I think you'd lose any rebate offer on upgrading to the H20 HD DVR but you never know.

Transition periods are fun eh? I still don't know if what I decided to do is the best way to go but oh well. We'll see I guess.