High Def Forum
Thank you for visiting. This is our website archive. Please visit our main website by clicking the logo above.

Upgrading from Pioneer: What would YOU do?

Terminal33
10-30-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm about to upgrade my 4 year old Pioneer 5070. There's nothing wrong with the TV, I just want a bigger screen since I sit about 12 feet away. I am torn between the Panasonic 65S2 or the 65V10.

Right now on Amazon, the S2 can be had for $700 less than the V10. On paper I know the differences between the two sets. But what would be the real world difference that I see in my home?

I was NOT planning on getting the V10 calibrated. But if I got the S2, I would have it calibrated with the money I saved. So would a calibrated S2 be better than a non-calibrated V10?

Although the V10 is a 2009 model, what aspects of the TV would be better than the S2? Black level? AR filter?

I'm planning on making a decision this weekend. What would you guys do? Is the V10 worth $700 more? Thanks.

DTV TiVo Dealer
10-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Terminal33, given the two choice I would go for the S2, but you might consider Panasonic's TC-P58VT25 with the bundle promotion your effective cost is close and the upgrade is quite big even considering the 2" loss.

Just another consideration, all of these choices are excellent.

-Robert

Terminal33
10-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Terminal33, given the two choice I would go for the S2, but you might consider Panasonic's TC-P58VT25 with the bundle promotion your effective cost is close and the upgrade is quite big even considering the 2" loss.

Just another consideration, all of these choices are excellent.

-Robert

Where is the promotion? Also, it'd be a 7" loss since it's a 65 incher. Thanks for your input. Now I see that Amazon only has three 65V10's left in stock. I just don't want to regret getting the S2 and always wondering if I'm missing out on anything by not getting the V10.

Edit: I see the promotion. Can you PM me a price for the 65VT as well? Thanks.

s2mikey
10-31-2010, 06:09 AM
Personally, I would go for the 65" set to get a really big "upgrade". I realize that 8 extra inches is a lot of screen area but IMO the 15 extra inches you'd get with the 65" set is the way to go. I also have a 50" Pioneer(5080) and Ive considered what I will do if and I when I ever decide to upgrade it. I will be going straight to 65" sets should I decide to start shopping again.

As for "upgrading" a Pioneer - there is NO such thing. You can get a bigger set but you aint getting a "better" set. This is why us Pioneer owners are so scared to hit the market, we are afraid we'll never find anything to match or beat the Pio!

Terminal33
10-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Well I ordered the 65V10, and just in time too. I stared at the product page on Amazon for 3 days. At first they only had 5 left, then 4, and then 3. I told myself that I would order it when there was only 2 left. But then I decided to order it anyway at the $2500 price. Right after I ordered it, there were 2 left and the price went back up to $3000.

I think since there's only 2 left, they would want to raise the price. Well I'm excited and concerned at the same time. I'm excited that I'm going from a 50" to a 65". But I'm concerned about the black level rise. But then I figured that even if it does rise, it'll probably still be better than my current set.

Since my Pioneer is a four year old 5070, I wasn't too concerned about actually downgrading in quality. Even D-Nice commented that the S2 would be better than my current Pio. Ok, now the waiting game...