High Def Forum
Thank you for visiting. This is our website archive. Please visit our main website by clicking the logo above.

720p vs 1080p for Gaming (Xbox 360)

everix
06-05-2010, 05:35 PM
I am currently looking at two Panasonic Viera Plasma TV's and am having a hard time choosing between the two. They are the exact same TV except that one has a max resolution of 1080p and one has a max res of 720p. At this moment, I can get the 1080p television for $110 more than the 720p television. Is there that much of a difference between 720p and 1080p for games on the xbox? Is the $110 price difference worth the upgrade regardless of the difference I will see? Screen size is 42" for both.

jmwatkins
06-05-2010, 05:49 PM
I don't think it would make any difference as far as gaming goes, but I would spend the extra $110 to get 1080p for blu-rays (if you plan on watching movies). If it's strictly for gaming, I would say 720p is fine.

Loves2Watch
06-05-2010, 08:43 PM
The 1080p Panasonic plasma TV's use better components including the front glass as compared to the 720p models. I believe it is worth the price difference.

everix
06-05-2010, 08:55 PM
I don't think it would make any difference as far as gaming goes, but I would spend the extra $110 to get 1080p for blu-rays (if you plan on watching movies). If it's strictly for gaming, I would say 720p is fine.

I would say that it will be used 90% of the time for gaming. The other 10% will be used for watching movies from netflix (maybe) and streaming hulu and stuff from my computer. In the far off future blu-rays might be a possibility, though. This T.V. will probably be with me a while.

TwoPlusTwo
06-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Even though the 360 only actually upscales to 1080p, I would still spend the extra $110 on the 1080p set, especially since you said that it would be with you for a while...

MikeRox
06-06-2010, 05:31 AM
I'd suggest Super Street Fighter 4 or Soul Calibur 4. You could also look at one of the XBLA beat em ups like Street Fighter 2 HD or the original (and still best!) Dreamcast Soul Calibur. They're both 800 points each I think.

Mase
06-06-2010, 10:35 AM
I'd suggest Super Street Fighter 4 or Soul Calibur 4. You could also look at one of the XBLA beat em ups like Street Fighter 2 HD or the original (and still best!) Dreamcast Soul Calibur. They're both 800 points each I think.

Wrong thread :haha: ;)



On Topic, go for the 1080p, this should not even be up for debate, its only $110 more and you can get something that as you say will be with you for a while.. Why not get something that has not been outdated yet, 720p is soooo mid 2000's :thumbsup:

MikeRox
06-06-2010, 10:36 AM
:lol: god dammit! I knew I'd posted that somewhere! Go easy on me, I just came out of a 3 and a half year relationship :p

Mase
06-06-2010, 10:45 AM
:lol: god dammit! I knew I'd posted that somewhere! Go easy on me, I just came out of a 3 and a half year relationship :p

Awwww man, now you made me sad :(

Sorry to hear that Mike, breakups are the worst....

Pinoy
06-06-2010, 12:49 PM
:lol: god dammit! I knew I'd posted that somewhere! Go easy on me, I just came out of a 3 and a half year relationship :p

What? Your 360 broke :banana:

j/k Mike, that sucks... but you'll always have us to chit chat with.

And no, I won't send you nudies :p

MikeRox
06-06-2010, 12:57 PM
:lol:! don't want your nudies ta! :eek: :p

It was on the cards for a while tbh... still a bit of a shock when you actually go through with it though.

Worst bit is... I think I'm gonna end up giving her the Wii! >_< :p I can't deprive her of Singstar AND Just Dance...