View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 05:21 AM   #22  
Stew4HD
SD HURTS MY EYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
But we are not talking about a commercial environment where a multitude of high power drawing equipment will be used, we are talking about a home where even if it is setup like mine with six separate power amps I draw nowhere near the current not have anywhere near the interference due to other non-standard equipment being used in very close proximity. Quit attempting to make this come out as you want it by tainting this discussion with irrelevant comparisons, compare apples to apples which is what I have done and continue to do.

BTW, hospital equipment like X-ray machines, CAT Scanners, MRI machines, heart monitors and such operate at much different frequencies and draw 10 times or more the power that home audio equipment does. And lastly, most equipment used in hospitals is 240 volt and sometimes even 3 phase. Not a valid comparison at all.
Just where are the speaker wires in a hospital anyway, in the ceiling? 22 gauge? Yeppers, that is correct...
Well said, L2W! There are plenty of companies out there that try to make you think you need shielded speaker wires to protect against all this EMF running crazy in the world. I guess I need shielded wires because I have power lines running on the back of my property... the EMF from those alone could affect the analog signal to my speakers.. oh no!

Unless a person has a lot of pump motor and high current switching device power cables running in near proximity to their speaker wires, then shielding is not necessary.

I have been on several installs where the houses were pre-wired for surround sound... the builder used.. 18 - 20 gauge speaker wire! *cough cough* at least it they gave me somethign to pull the real wire with!
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote