View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 01:31 AM   #993
IGExpandingPan
High Definition is the definition of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discmanmfe View Post
T
As for Monster Cables, I originally purchased the Monster Cable M1000HD for around $80.00. It sells in the stores for a hell of a lot
more. I am a reseller and have access to excellent prices. However,
many items can be purchased cheap on Ebay. You first need to know
what you want, then find pricing afterwards.

I have now purchased this cable for $24. That's a steal and have just
purchased 3 more.

I definitely agree paying several hundred dollars for Monster Cable is not worth it, but for $24 how can you go wrong.
Because it's $20 more than you need to spend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by discmanmfe View Post
I have purchased cheap HDMI cables for $20 and few others for a little more. None of which come close to the M1000HD.
Testing would disagree with you.

Quote:
If you purchase a Ferrari, you don't use regular gas.
Decide if you want quality or are you purchasing strictly on price alone.
Welcome to a shitty analogy. If we're talking fuel, then gas is to a Ferrari as electricity is to HDTV, and as such this is a valid argument for an online battery backup. If you have a set worth over $1500 spending $50 to $150 for a good online battery backup makes a fair amount of sense.

But you put premium gas in a Ferrari not because it's "quality" but because it's got a higher octane rating. Here's how it works, you've got octane and you've got heptane. Something rated at 87 octane acts like a solution of 87% octane and 13% heptane. Something rated at 92 burns like a solution of 92% octane and 8% heptane. Some heptane is desirable because it makes the fuel easier to ignite. Too much makes it too easy.

Understand?

Now the reason you put high octane fuel in a Ferrari has jack shit to do with the fact that it's a high price sports car, but because it has an engine that has higher than average compression due in part to the turbo charger. The same would hold true for a Corolla, and in fact whether you own a 1976, 1986, 1996 or 2006 you might enjoy testing out some high octane fuels and see if you enjoy better MPG. On a 1976 and 1997 I enjoyed 40mpg using 101 Texaco / Chevron, vs. 30mpg.

A Caddy might be geared for 87 Octane fuel. Big engine, low compression ratio, 87 offers the benefit of being easier to ignite. High compression ratio, or high rev 4 banners like Honda, Toyota, are more likely to benefit. Cars with superchargers are more likely to benefit with them on, when they are off it sort of depends on the engine design. But a Ferrari in the city, odds are you won't actually notice a difference. US V12 Jaguars whether pre 89 you want 87. Some post 89 using the Marelli ignition have a jumper for 87 (91 Ron) or 91 (95 Ron). UK versions, well, those enjoyed leaded fuel for longer that it was available in the US.

Get it? If there is a performance benefit, you use the higher octane fuel. If there is no performance benefit, don't bother, you're wasting your money.
IGExpandingPan is offline   Reply With Quote