View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 04:02 PM   #2  
tigerbangs
Antenna Maven

Default Good reply from another thread

Originally posted as a reply to another poster. Good info.
OK, lets reconsider ALL of your purchases for a moment: The Winegard HD4053 is in no way in the same league as the Wade-Delhi VIP-306 or VIP-307 in terms of signal pulling ability or construction quality. The Winegard HD9095 and PR9032 are both yagi-based UHF antennas which offer a lot of gain, but limited signal gathering ability in a deep-fringe situation. I promise you that you will not see what you are looking for using the Winegard yagi-style UHF antennas: I have replaced several of them in the last year with Channel Master 4228 8-bay UHF antennas with FAR better results. I know that the Cape has always been a problem for TV reception, as you are at least 50 miles from Providence and about 65 miles from Boston. The other problem that the Cape presents to an antenna installation is a LOT of salt air! There are a few trick that you can use to keep the system from failing early due to corrision.

User the deep-fringe perscription listed in the sticky memo on the top of the thread page: don't deviate from it: it WORKS, and it has been proven time and time again! The real advantage of using the Channel Master Titan 7777 is it's dual inputs, eliminating the need for an external antenna joiner and the associated losses and additional connections. Don't make the mistake that most people make when selecting a deep-fringe UHF antenna: More gain is NOT the solution to recepton at great distances: capture area is the answer, and it is capture area where the 4228 excels. UHF signals scatter significantly beyond distances of 30-35 miles: moving the antenna even 6" can often make the difference between seeing a signal, and not seeing it. The larger the capture area of the antenna, the better it's chances of seeing a fringe-area signal. Differences of 1 or 2 DB of gain are meaningless when looking for UHF signals at distances of 35+ miles. We can always amplify a weak signal, but if the signal doesn't appear at the receiviing elements of the antenna, there is nothing to amplify! You didn't mention whether you are looking for digital or analog signals, or both, but in any event, the formula for success is the same.

Since you are in a very high-corrision area, don't even consider using any twin-lead cable ANYWHERE in the system: the salt air will destroy it in as little as 18 months: good quality 75 ohm RG-6 coax cable will last 10 years in the same conditions. The secret to keeping coax cable efficient is to seal you coaxial cable F connectors and your antenna to cable connections with a sealant. I have used clear spray Krylon on antenna connections for almost 30 years with excellent results. I also use silicone tape, which is available from Radio Shack, to seal all of the exterior cable "F" fittings. When wrapped tightly to the 'F" fitting, it makes a great protective sealer that keeps out moisture and corrosion.

Boston and Providence TV are probable for you in your location, but consider your antenna and installation choices carefully.

Last edited by rbinck; 12-02-2005 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: Explanation of post