View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #24  
BobY
What's all this, then?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
I don't think that only the Nielsen sample households were included.

There is a lot of scientific validity to Nielsen's methodology, and at least its mostly consistent over time.
Those two statements are true, but there are lots of people who have questioned the accuracy of their conclusions (including the television networks!). In the end, they all decided to accept Nielsen as a baseline because it is consistent (though of unknown accuracy) and the networks couldn't afford to run their own sampling, or get advertisers to believe their statistics instead of an independent third party.

The murky question here is what does Nielsen mean by "TV sets capable of receiving and displaying high-definition pictures, as well as those that are actually receiving those signals."?

Does that mean "TV sets capable of receiving and displaying high-definition pictures which are also actually receiving those signals" (i.e. only people with HDTV's who are watching HD content)?

Or "TV sets capable of receiving and displaying high-definition pictures, as well as TV sets capable of receiving and displaying high-definition pictures that are also actually receiving those signals" (i.e. people with HDTV's who are not watching HD content and people with HDTV's who are)?

And what does "actually receiving those signals" mean? OTA? Cable? SAT? Blu-Ray? Some combination?

Murky.
BobY is offline   Reply With Quote