View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #13  
Loves2Watch
Former Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcrude View Post
Thanks for the great article and the discussions.

I have two rooms I need to setup.

1) media room - I am planning on using in-wall speakers in a 7.1 setup. had them pre-wired so the speakers will be about 3 1/2 ft from the floor, around eye level when sitting. I am planning on using the same speaker (Polk RC85i) for center as for the six surround speakers. as far as I have read that is an acceptable alternative to a dedicated (and more expensive) center speaker, especially when looking at in-wall. Actually having identical speakers is ideal! I am also planning on using 1 or 2 subs in the corners. The room is about 22 ft long so I will start with one sub in the front first. 2 subs in the front, 1 in each corner will be a better solution.

One more thing ... I would like to have two rows of seats, so the second row would be slightly behind the left and right surround, but in front of the rear left and right surround. That should be just fine

2) living room - because of the layout and open setup, the 4 surround speakers (5.1 setup) are pre-wired at about 10 ft height. I also plan on using Polk RC85i (or RC65i) where the tweeter can be directed downwards. Is this going to be an issue to have the speakers so high ? It will for the front speakers which almost demand being at ear level or close to it otherwise the sound can disorient you. Obviously I will be using the media room for the real movie experience.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Now if I could only find a deal on 12 identical Polk (7.1 + 5.1 setups) in-wall speakers.
The most important thing to remember as I have discussed earlier is the crucial center channel speaker placement. But in your case the fronts (L&R) are an issue as well.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote