View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #345  
edders
Ever Eddy

Default Just going

Quote:
Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
So much research needs to be done with obtaining hydrogen, but one way to obtain it is through the process of electrolysis by splitting the H and O atoms from water. The problem is that this is incredibly energy intensive. I believe there is another process that allows you to obtain hydrogen from coal, or some other source through some reaction. I'm not sure how you would "refine" hydrogen" from fossil fuels though. However, I thought that the current "oil" based administration was more interested in ethanol than hydrogen. Breakthroughs are being made in making ethanol from non food sources, and I believe there is even a link posted somewhere in one of these threads to a firm that will be able to make a large volume of ethanol from non food sources by 2011 from garbage and other organic waste.

Hydrogen is clearly going to be a long term research project, and we will need something to last us until we get there.
on what I heard on a broadcast about global warming, forgot which one. Try googling the info, here is a 03 article that seems to agree with my perception:

http://www.mindfully.org/Energy/2003...Not17jul03.htm

I do think it is probably easier to get Hydrogen from oil than water, but could have that one wrong. Ethanol is a stop gap IMO. If we try to use too much then our farmland suffers from over use and can drive the price of grains up as well. If you have any information as to a plant currently extracting hydrogen from water for use in automobiles would be interested.

Ed

Last edited by edders; 03-12-2008 at 02:01 PM..
edders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links