View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 05:54 AM   #88  
Chris Gerhard
High Definition is the definition of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfabien View Post
I have all 3 players, an upconverting Oppo, an HD DVD and Blu-Ray players.
I have good reason to believe that Oppo will make a Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A/DVD-V/HDCD player if the format war can end favorably for Blu-ray. Oppo is supposed to release a new SACD/DVD-A/DVD-V/HDCD player soon, the DV-983H but I don't know when that will happen. My standard universal DVD players are still the workhorses of my systems and the Oppo DV-980H is my favorite among my fleet of players.

I think demand for SACD/DVD-A players is dwindling and although we saw quite a number released in 2007, I don't think that will happen again next year. The format war needs to be settled so manufacturers can focus on a given market that has growth potential again. Despite all of the hoopla here about the improved sales for HD DVD with the Black Friday sales, standard DVD players outsold HD DVD by a huge margin then and by even greater ratios since that heavy promotion. I have no reason to believe that any HD DVD/SACD/DVD-A players are being considered and the only rumor about a possible Blu-ray/HD DVD/SACD/DVD-A player comes from a Denon executive comment. The Denon player if it happens will be priced very high.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote