View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 04:03 AM   #52  
Chris Gerhard
High Definition is the definition of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobY View Post
Sorry, you should have taken the hint. That answer makes no sense at all.

Even if BD were to disappear, their PS3 would continue to play every BD movie they ever bought until their PS3 goes to the great game console graveyard in the sky.

If current PS3 owner's are concerned about the future after that would happen, then they also wouldn't buy any PS3 games either, because the situation is identical, especially considering SONY has dropped PS2 compatibility at this point, so when (if) the "PS4" comes out, it's not likely to be compatible with their existing PS3 game library.

It simply makes no sense that PS3 owners wouldn't buy Blu-Ray discs because they are concerned about the future of Blu-Ray. Based on that logic, they would never buy a PS3 in the first place, because it's in a "format war" with the XBOX 360 and the Wii. And if they did get a PS3, they would never buy any PS3 games, because they would be concerned about the future of PS3 games is the PS3 fails or gets replaced by something that won't play PS3 games.

Is it that hard for you to admit that the reason so few PS3 owners are buying Blu-Ray discs is because they simply aren't interested in buying Hi-Def movies?
Of course what I said was when the player owned dies, if the format is already dead, there is no hardware being made to play the software in the future, thus most people I know won't buy much software until the format's future is secure. I don't plan on buying much software until it is either guaranteed I can get affordable hardware for the remainder of my life or hardware is so inexpensive and so reliable that I can just buy it immediately. You state that the HD DVD plan is going great with low player prices. I own all four of these high quality digital formats, DVD-A, SACD, Blu-ray and HD DVD. All of them except HD DVD had many hardware manufacturers, the most pathetic of the four in terms of sales is HD DVD, hardware and software. None of the four has sold much, so it isn't like HD DVD is pathetic in a group of really big competitors. This slow growing plan for HD DVD that you think is on track, in fact has already failed and even you will be forced to admit it soon. Low priced players have been seen for DVD-A and SACD already, it didn't matter and the hardware for DVD-A and SACD has sold 20 times better than the HD DVD hardware and it didn't matter.

Somehow, you guys that really haven't followed these things, think that the HD DVD plan is just awesome. I have never seen anything so pathetic as a plan with such limited hardware manufacturer support and not enough software support. Even Beta, with Sony, NEC, Toshiba, Sanyo, Aiwa and a couple of others making VCR's was a far better effort than the the HD DVD plan.

Consumers buy software in large quantities when the status for a format is like LP, CD, and DVD, secure. Absolutely no concern for the format's survival is the comfort level required. There are a small group of consumers that will buy software with the hope that the format will survive, and I have been included in that group previously, but no longer. LP exists today as a somewhat healthy niche format with hardware still being made and a loyal but small market, very, very rare for this hobby.

Your opinion is just that, you don't speak for PS3 owners, apparently you aren't one and I have seen nothing from you ever that even faintly resembles something coming from somebody that understands anything about this market. If you think HD DVD with less than a million players sold worldwide, no presense at all in any country but the US and way behind in the US is a good result, you are one incredibly confused person to be offering so many opinions on this format war. I have participated in every audio/video format war for the past several decades and I easily see that HD DVD either dies with the Warner decision for Blu-ray or if Warner chooses a pro HD DVD course, limps along for a few years as a tiny niche format, there is no other possible outcome already, I have seen it all too many times.

I think even you would have to admit no format has ever had results like the first two years for HD DVD and then ever turned it around and done anything. Maybe not, maybe you don't have a clue about what has happened previously. Of course I know you will once again respond with all that is holding HD DVD back is HDTV penetration, absolute nonsense as I have pointed out everytime you make the point, HDTV is already in about 40% of homes in the US, multiply the HD DVD results by 2.5 and the result is still pathetic. HDTV is a huge success and growing rapidly, the market for HD discs needs one format only for success, two kills those chances for the reasons I have stated many times.

I have been surprisd that hardware for SACD and DVD-A is still plentiful with a number of new models released in 2007 from a number of manufacturers, but I expect that to be the last year and hardware in the future will be few and far between. The fact that there are over 4,000 SACD releases and around 1,500 or so DVD-A releases and continued healthy sales for SACD classical and jazz, at least as healthy as those niche markets can be, is apparently the reason. If I am surprised and those two formats maintain their niche status for the long haul and hardware continues to be made, great, 2007 is the last year of widespread hardware manufacturer support in any event. I have SACD/DVD-A hardware from Samsung, Oppo, Denon, Yamaha and Pioneer and several other familiar companies made hardware for those formats. I really only expect D&M and maybe one other manufacturer to continue beyond 2008 and expect Denon to drop their budget line of players. I am hopeful that Blu-ray will survive and we will see a Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A/DVD-V/CD player from a couple of manufacturers but that might not ever happen.

The one chance I see for the long term for high resolution audio and HD video on 5" shiny discs is for Blu-ray to succeed and do it all, SACD, DVD-A and HD DVD all disappear. I am set for my life with my SACD/DVD-A hardware and anything new I want would be purchased on Blu-ray. The HDMI standards committe was kind enough to include SACD and DVD-A support and analog 5.1 inputs are still common on AV receivers so I am ready to rock and roll as long as I am physically able if it happens. I have nothing against HD DVD, it works well, it is just second best and has no chance for success.

I will agree that the Toshiba plan with giveaway player prices is the best possible plan it could offer. The silly dual format software, Blu-ray/HD DVD dual format hardware, stealth approach with single inventory dual format releases and whatever else the group here rallies behind is all meaningless, only low priced players does anything for the format.

Chris

Last edited by Chris Gerhard; 12-22-2007 at 04:10 AM..
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote