View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
somerandomguy
My plasma is High Def.

Default Basic Cable and unencrypted "in the clear" local HD question

I live in Perry, Ga and have Comsouth Cable. Long explanation short. I'm looking to go to satellite because of the lack of HD channels in addition to the expense of the HD/digital service and boxes(two HD and three analog tvs). The issue with getting satellite is that between distance(30 to 40+ miles from local transmitters) and the trees around the house, it would be very difficult to impossible to pick up the High Def local channels. The SXRD's tuner can pick up unencrypted digital channels. So, as of right now, i can get the locals with just the extended(non-digital) cable service. I'm also not happy with the dsl service that i have and would love to get cable internet.

So, my question is. Do you guys think that i would be able to subscribe to just basic cable and still be able to pick up the local high defs(50.1,50.3,51.1,51.3)? Those channels are UHF so my fear is that when they put the blocker on to keep the UHF from coming through, i'd lose the ability to pick them up.

Or, do you think that i might be able to just subscribe to cable internet and still be able to pick those up.

Thanks
somerandomguy is offline   Reply With Quote