High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > 3D Movies, Content & Reviews
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

3D Movies, Content & Reviews 3D movie discussion and reviews

3d will be short lived

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,279
Default 3d will be short lived

As movie goer's are moving away from the packaged ho-hum of different (and increasingly) higher prices from the kable and satco companies,,,more and more movie viewers are leaning and learning how to get their viewing fix from the internet. This is great for those of us that prefer the closest thing we can get to a la carte. The problem is the kable kaps that companies are now instituting. To watch pseudo HD via netflix,,(adaptive streaming) you can use over 3 gig per hour. Watch 5 hours per day (15 gig) then multiply that by 30 days (450 gig - 200 over komkasts limit)!!!. By now you see where me post is going,,,,,,,,,how much of the 250 gig kap will 3D eat up????
__________________
MEMPHIS ROCKS
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Ducky & Ruby's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 127
Default

i can tell you that time Warner's roadrunner has a 20 or 30 gig cap unless they upgraded it since 2006

back then i had a $1000 bill for downloading a 30gig file
Ducky & Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

IMO, the title of this thread is a tad bit misleading... because the file size is larger, making it a longer/larger download, 3D will be short lived?

Sorry, I don't see how that is going to make or break 3D. I suppose that could be said about true HD video with lossless audio tracks.. therefore, HD will be short lived.
__________________
___________________________________
For PFC5 I miss ya, buddy WB L2W!
Living Room:
*JVC DLA-RS40 3D projector
Da-Lite wall mounted screen 110" diag.
DirecTV DVR
Sony PlayStation 3 60GB (first gen)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD
*Denon AVR-A100
Magnepan MMGW L/R
Magnepan MMGC center
Aperion 5DB surrounds
Aperion 10D sub
Oppo BDP-83SE
*Panny DMP-BDT100
XBOX 360 (first gen)
HTPC
WII
*special thanks to Robert at valueelectronics.com, you are great to work with!
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4HD View Post
IMO, the title of this thread is a tad bit misleading... because the file size is larger, making it a longer/larger download, 3D will be short lived?

Sorry, I don't see how that is going to make or break 3D. I suppose that could be said about true HD video with lossless audio tracks.. therefore, HD will be short lived.
Yes the title is misleading. The intent was to garner attention to the kable kaps and how it will effect 3D streaming. Perhaps Lee could supply us with some numbers on what an hour of 3D streaming would consume (in gbs). According to me calculations you would get less than 5 hours per month of viewing.
__________________
MEMPHIS ROCKS

Last edited by oblioman; 02-03-2011 at 10:31 PM..
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,945
Default

I don't know if 3D is going to be short lived or not but I don't think it will amount to much as far as internet streaming or downloads. Blu-ray may be the choice for the niche market interested in 3D, it has the capacity and bandwidth to handle it. Nobody I know wants 3D and I am too heavily invested in 2D to move to 3D even if my family wanted it.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
Praise the Sun!
 
TwoPlusTwo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Academia
Posts: 14,892
Default

I don't stream my 3D movies, and probably never will.

Streaming quality is so inferior to Blu-Ray, that I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

__________________
TwoPlusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPlusTwo View Post
I don't stream my 3D movies, and probably never will.

Streaming quality is so inferior to Blu-Ray, that I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

Yes,,you probably never will since 3D streaming, IMO, is a long way off - if ever. And yes, streaming is inferior to BD (what isn't?). But HD streaming from Netflix is on par with komkast's cable (imo)- and one hell of a lot cheaper. Truest thing we have to a la carte.
__________________
MEMPHIS ROCKS
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
Super Moderator
 
bruceames's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 17,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblioman View Post
Yes,,you probably never will since 3D streaming, IMO, is a long way off - if ever. And yes, streaming is inferior to BD (what isn't?). But HD streaming from Netflix is on par with komkast's cable (imo)- and one hell of a lot cheaper. Truest thing we have to a la carte.
Well if that's where it is in terms of PQ, then I'll be sure to stay away.
bruceames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Well if that's where it is in terms of PQ, then I'll be sure to stay away.
touche
__________________
MEMPHIS ROCKS
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,601
Default

The proper title would be """Netflix, Hulu , will be short lived due to ISP caps."" I would never buy stock in these companies as the ISP's are totally in control of their fate.

Two things will happen. Either ALL ISP's, will jump on the CAPPING bandwagon when too much of their TV revenue will erode away...

OR... standalone internet services will be priced like $1 cheaper than a full blown triple play.
__________________
60" plasma- Pioneer PDP-6010FD
55" LCD Vizio E550VL
42" plasma Panasonic TH-42PX77U
~1500 DVD's , 180 BD's, 115 HD-DVD's , yes originally chose the wrong format , , Toshiba HD DVD Player (HD-XA2)
Sony BDP-S380
Verizon FiOS, its the best HD !


Former FiOS technician
My Family Room Pic #1

My Family Room Pic #2

ITALIAN926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 44,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblioman View Post
As movie goer's are moving away from the packaged ho-hum of different (and increasingly) higher prices from the kable and satco companies,,,more and more movie viewers are leaning and learning how to get their viewing fix from the internet. This is great for those of us that prefer the closest thing we can get to a la carte. The problem is the kable kaps that companies are now instituting. To watch pseudo HD via netflix,,(adaptive streaming) you can use over 3 gig per hour. Watch 5 hours per day (15 gig) then multiply that by 30 days (450 gig - 200 over komkasts limit)!!!. By now you see where me post is going,,,,,,,,,how much of the 250 gig kap will 3D eat up????
The file size for a 3D stream will be the same as an HD stream because they only use Frame Compatible 3D formats and not Frame Packed which is the 3d format for 3D BD and 3D games on BD.

FRAME COMPATIBLE:

1920X1080I:



1280X720P:




FRAME PACKED:

Lee Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
The file size for a 3D stream will be the same as an HD stream because they only use Frame Compatible 3D formats and not Frame Packed which is the 3d format for 3D BD and 3D games on BD.

FRAME COMPATIBLE:

1920X1080I:



1280X720P:




FRAME PACKED:

Thank You for clearing that up Lee. me assumption was wrong.
__________________
MEMPHIS ROCKS
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #13
Super Moderator
 
bruceames's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 17,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITALIAN926 View Post
The proper title would be """Netflix, Hulu , will be short lived due to ISP caps."" I would never buy stock in these companies as the ISP's are totally in control of their fate.

Two things will happen. Either ALL ISP's, will jump on the CAPPING bandwagon when too much of their TV revenue will erode away...

OR... standalone internet services will be priced like $1 cheaper than a full blown triple play.
This.
bruceames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #14
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 44,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblioman View Post
Thank You for clearing that up Lee. me assumption was wrong.
No problem.

There is a tradeoff for using frame compatible 3D formats. You don't get Full HD per eye. You get Half HD per eye - for 1080i it's 1 million pixels per eye which is greater than normal 720P HD (921,600). You get 960x1080 per eye. For FC 720P you get 1280x360P per eye.
Lee Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblioman View Post
Yes,,you probably never will since 3D streaming, IMO, is a long way off - if ever. And yes, streaming is inferior to BD (what isn't?). But HD streaming from Netflix is on par with komkast's cable (imo)- and one hell of a lot cheaper. Truest thing we have to a la carte.
I have 10mbps download speed and a 75GB/month cap, but I have to disagree with Netflix's HD content being equal to MY cable company HD. Komkast HD must have horrible HD if Netflix's HD content (not much of it on Netflix either) since Netflix "HD" with my 10mbps download speed is about equal to upscaled SD DVD, but the sound is much worse on Netflix "HD" compared to SD DVD since hardly anything is even in DD5.1 and nearly all is only stereo. And I am using a PS3 which has about the best PQ/SQ for streaming Netflix.

Can you explain HOW you can love Netflix streaming when you were such a big advocate of BD during the format war? Did your PQ/SQ standards go way down since then? They must have.
__________________
Denon AVR-887
Klipsch RP-5 Pwred Towers (mains) (525 watts peak each 12"Subs)
All Klipsch RC-25(ctr),(2)SS1(surr),(2)SS1(rearSurr)
Toshiba (2)HD-A20,PS3,BD35
For SACD/DVD-A Samsung HD-841
Panny 50pz80u plasma
SETTINGS
RCA HD50LPW162 50"DLP w/HD2+
SA 3250HD
47" LCD+Yamaha5790+HD-A1(bedroom)
Harmony 680 + (2) 670s (amazing remote/support)
Game room with Onkyo receiver & B&W Speakers
The_Cable_Game
Take the high ground and be happier
PSN: PFC5
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > 3D Movies, Content & Reviews
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:34 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum