View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 06:47 AM   #29  
Chris Gerhard
High Definition is the definition of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billinprinceto View Post
So why would anyone want to continue attempting to use ANY tape system for recording new material? There is no new product development going on for tape products, no processing enhancements, tapes are bulky, no program skip, gotta rewind, and compared to DVD, the quality sucks.

You can upgrade to a damn nice DVD/R for $120 - $100, archive from HD DVR as well as archive old tape material. Output is handled digitally from the getgo, so bye-bye to all that analogue circuitry in the tape machines. Everything that I have archived from my DVR to my DVD/R looks IDENTICAL whether I view from the DVR or from the DVD/R.
Agreed, except that there is program skip, commercial skip and even 30 second skip with tape. I use the 30 second skip to skip over commercials or trailers. There is no reason to suggest anybody should get involved with videotape now, just wait for a practical solution for the PC or disc. I am going to make videotape work for the long haul, but don't recommend it to anybody now.

I can stay completely digital with the HM-DH5U. Source by firewire to the VCR and playback by HDMI to the display.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote