View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 08:38 PM   #7  
Lee Stewart
Muscle Cars Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
Well not just the insurance companies the NHRA had a bit to do with it. They up the quantity for SS to 500 and run Ford out of the game and later in 1967 or 1968 reduce it back to 50 under pressure from GM and Chrysler threatening to pull out too. Then Chrysler wins the '68, '69 and '70 SS world championships with a guy (I can't recall his name) that was campaigning a '64 Comet in the '64 season as I recall. He switched to Mopar because of the Ford pullout. This is as I remember so the exact years of the championships may me off a year. No doubt Chrysler was intending on putting their stamp on both drag racing and NASCAR back in those days.

It was nice to see the Gartlett interview on ESPN2. He was a big Hemi proponent. I think he was the first to break 7 sec., although they really didn't say that in the piece. Hasn't had a beard since!
The late 1960's were truly the golden ear of drag racing. I got a real charge from watching that 5 minute piece on Garlits 1967 win at Indy (6.77 220 MPH) - especially that they push started the cars in those days.

I loved the wheelstanders that were born in 60's and have see almost all of them over my years of going to the tracks since 1969.

It was a time that anyone could make a name for themselves and the budgets were this side of reasonable.

1964? Dyno Don Nickelson? (looked just like Roy Orbison - "coke bottle" glasses. He did run one of the T-Bolts in 64.)

Didn't the team of Sox and Martin and Dandy Dick Landy run SS Hemi cars? I thought they had some wins.

YOU are going to love this - a video on the 2005 Hemi Shoot out!:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/D...946DB1B287.htm

The Chrysler Factory Description of code B029 - Hemi Barracuda:

http://www.thehemi.com/notable.php?id=001

Last edited by Lee Stewart; 09-03-2007 at 08:44 PM..
Lee Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote