View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #18  
Pistol Pete
HD GUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulciber View Post
I hope you'll forgive a very elementary question. I'm new to HD and this is my first post. I'm not even sure if I'm posting in the correct category.

Last week I bought a new HDTV (Sony KDL-32S3000) and traded in my old digital cable box for a new HD-DVR (provider is TW Cable in NYC). Everything is working splendidly. Needless to say, I'm as shocked as most newbies seem to be that SD looks so poor now that I have a display that shows the flaws, but much of the SD programming on TWNYC isn't bad at all.

Here's the issue: Despite now using an HD-DVR (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC) I am accustomed to recording programs in S-VHS, particularly for my friends and family abroad. I've tried feeding the composite signal out of the cable box, the S-video signal, and even the RF (my S-VHS unit has no component inputs). Of these, the S-video is slightly better, but still, imo, unwatchable. The image quality is truly horrendous. What is more, archive tapes I made using my previous digital cable box (which I also output to the S-VHS using S-video, and which looked great on my old SD CRT) are similarly unwatchable on my new HDTV.

I realize that my S-VHS deck, despite being one of the best in its class, is incapable of producing a signal that's up to the resolution of the HDTV. But is it now and forever useless, or is there some sort of adaptation I can make, or a work-around, that can at least allow me to produce tapes that are of reasonable SD quality?

If this discussion is already in place elsewhere, sorry. Please feel free to direct me. If not, I'm grateful for any advice, and thanks again for reading an elementary question. DGI
Great post!

It hits right to the heart of the endless HD-DVD vs Blu Ray debate that goes on and on ad nauseum.

Why you ask? Because technology changes quicker than a man's waist line over 40.

Ah, VHS, Beta, Laserdisk or for that matter the transistor radio, black and white television and so.

Many of us spent small fortunes buying products only to see them fill our trash cans or sell for nickles and dimes at garage sales.

Well, there goes the store bought VHS collection.

It happens. What are you going to do, scream, commit suicide, go to Baskin Robbins?

No. You adapt.

Goodbye VHS and in your case, super VHS.

Time for the new and improved HD DVD or Blu Ray until one format wins and then is eventually replaced with who knows what.

You don't drive a 10-20 year old car, you trade it in and move on.

Same with the old player.

Anybody for an IPOD? Or is it the IPOD phone now?
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote