View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #16  
drdumont
Long Journey into HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post
Verizon has to use SOME kind of compression. The cable doesn't have enough bandwidth to carry uncompressed video.

I can understand your point. Were they distributing on coax you would be spot on. However, comma, one of the main selling points for FiOS when I put it in was that very point. As it happens, a former employee of mine is now one of the principal engineers at the head end in Richardson, TX. On a visit there, I've seen the signal flow. They don't compress. What comes in, goes out. Obviously there is a lot of processing and reclocking, combining, etc in order to put the stream together. But they do not alter the data rate or compress. What comes in goes out. The short haul from the ONT through your house to the STB needs to be in tiptop shape. There is provision for block switching at the ONT when the stream gets too wide for the short haul, but that is a ways down the pike.

They have plenty and more bandwidth for what they are doing now, and lots to spare. There is room for more channels (colors) on the fibers. Obviously, that means more gear on either end, but they are not up against the same brick wall as copper users are.

At present, all signals available are in the datastream presented to the ONT. VOD is switched into the stream as needed. We ran some tests after the install, and indeed, the streams are uncompressed. (I design & build TV Network facilities, and am fortunate to be able to lay my hands on a lot of nice expensive test gear). I was frankly astonished at what I saw coming out of the pipe. Compared to the CATV, DirecTV and DishNetwork feeds, it is night and day.

-- Doc

Last edited by drdumont; 06-26-2007 at 01:07 PM..
drdumont is offline   Reply With Quote