View Single Post
Old 02-10-2005, 02:15 AM   #5  
borromini
HT Frontiersman

As to the OP's question...upconverting DVD players do have advantages over progressive-scan and standard players when you are using large-screen digital displays (DLPs/LCDs and similar fixed-pixel displays.) that have DVI and/or HDMI connections. For example, if you have an HDTV with a fixed pixel display of 1280x720, an upconverting DVD player has a scaler chip that can take the 480p source signal from a DVD and convert it to 720p, allowing the image to be displayed natively on your screen. Keep in mind that all scaler chips use complex algorithms to "fill-in" the missing data needed to convert a 480p image to a 720p image. It will never be as good as a true HD source that was mastered in 720p or better 1080p. But nevertheless, it looks a hell of a lot better than displaying a 480p image on a 720p HDTV where the TV then usually "zooms" the image to fill the physical screen. I own an LCD front projector and with my Bravo D1 DVD player, you can definitely see the benefit of upconverting a 480p image to 1080i on a 102" screen! The misunderstanding takes place when someone buys one of these upconverting players for their 34"/36" or smaller HDTV. It's just too small of a screen to appreciate the scale-up, which is why many of those folks posting on this forum say they can't see a difference between component-video and DVI/HDMI when using an upconverting player.
borromini is offline   Reply With Quote