View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 06:46 AM   #5  
mfabien
High Definition is the definition of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080PsF
I saw my first blu-ray disc and it looked pretty bad. I have to say it was a demo disc but it had trailers from “Ice age 2” and “Walk the line”. In the trailer for Ice age 2 the compression artifacts in the blue sky were horrible. There were stripes of different color blues instead of a smooth blue it looked really bad. The trailer for Walk the line looked really bad it just had a bunch of compression artifacts. It didn’t look anything like the HD-D5 master that I made a little while ago that was used to make the blu-ray disc.
Obviously the setup you saw had problems. The Samsung BD player, when first introduced, was not doing justice to HD recordings. There has been a software update, I believe. And the 50 GB BD discs give the MPEG 2 encoding a better chance. The new Panasonic player appears to give good PQ quality. I'm an HD DVD player owner but I don't treat BD owners as stupid... which indirectly you are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080PsF
I can’t believe that all you people run out and buy this stuff and say how great it looks. Broadcast, HD DVD, and blu-ray all look like crap and you are getting ripped off in the quality that you’re getting. You all should demand to get true HD not this stepped on piece of *&%@ signal that they try to pass off as HD. They compress the signal anywhere from 10:1 all the way up to 100:1 and still call it HD, I say nay, nay. I know this is going to piss off a lot of people (sorry to all of you) but someone needs step up and speak out to get the ball rolling for real HD. A true HD signal is about 1.5Gbps or 188MBps so does that 18MBps blu-ray still sound good to you?
The maximum bitrate of an HD broadcast is less than 20 Mbps (those are bits, not Bytes) and OTA broadcast starts at 19 Mbps but arrives at the TV at about 17 Mbps. My cable provider limits HD channels at a maximum of 2 per QAM and the bitrate averages 17 Mbps. In your case, you either do not have an HDTV or if you do, you provider could be sub par or your signal is poor. People who watch Football on HD enjoy the experience immensely... same for Hockey, Tennis, Basketball or Golf (The Masters, in particular). As for HDTV programs, PQ of CSI Miami, for one, is very good.

HD DVD have been released for movies, for the most part. They are to be compared with movies shown on HD channels (not digital recorded programs such as Discovery Channel). And an HD DVD movie is better than when viewed on an HD channel because there are no interferences and the VC1 encoding provides a better true reproduction of the master recording which is a transfer in 1080p 24 fps. And then there is the immense improvement in lossless sound over Dolby Digital of HDTV.

You are talking about HDD5 tape... movie studios send HD Tape to Networks as a transfer of film to digital and the Networks feed the broadcasters with a signal. What are you proposing, that instead of watching HDTV or HD DVD recordings we each schedule a session at a studio to view the Master digital transfer Tape to get what, real feel of HD from analog film source?

Last edited by mfabien; 11-30-2006 at 07:04 AM..
mfabien is offline   Reply With Quote