View Single Post
Old 12-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
rbinck
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTorr View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a universal remote but I don't know where to start. I found a TON on Ebay & Amazon but there is so many mixed reviews about them all I don't know how to feel.

I am looking to spend no more than $25 on a remote than be connected to a minimum of 3 TV's.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Not sure you are asking for a programmable remote like the Harmony. Just to try to clear up the difference between a universal remote and a programmable remote FYI.

A universal remote is a remote that can have codes set in it for different devices. They may be able to be used with a TV, audio receiver, DVD player by setting the appropriate codes for each. Once the codes are entered then the remote can control the various devices by first selecting the device, then the remote buttons will send out the remote codes for that particular device.

A programmable remote goes to the next level by allowing the storing of macro commands. A macro command can allow a single button to actually automatically send appropriate codes to more than one device.

For example, say we have a power on and a power off button on the remote. With the universal remote to turn off the TV and a DVD player you would need to do these steps:
  1. Select the TV by pressing the TV button
  2. Press the power off button
  3. Select the DVD player by pressing the DVD button
  4. Press the power off button

On the other hand with a programmable remote a macro can be programmed to complete those steps with the press of the power off button which will cause the remote to send the codes in sequence.

Obviously a programmable remote is also universal in that it will work with multiple devices, but many people read universal remote and assume what is meant is a programmable remote. Even a serch of amazon.com for "universal remote" will list mostly programmable remotes like the Harmony.

Based on your price requirement sounds like what you are looking for is a universal remote as a programmable remote would be more expensive. Like this one maybe: RCA RCR503BR 3-Device Palm-Sized Universal Remote

Radio Shack sells several universal remotes.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote