View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #11  
ImRizzo
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR

Location: Brooklyn & LI,NY ..not a Place, it's an Attitude, *I'm Mixing up a fresh pitcher of KoolAid

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play View Post
Amazing,

I have never seen the likes of that. I have actually been slightly involved with AC design and window AC's always have the "fins" on either side. Perhaps the logic might be that on a hot rainy day, the water might provide some considerable additional cooling to the outside condenser.

Another CONCEIVABLE reason might be that some people object to the tap, tap of rain on an air conditioner...the louvers might help break that up.

And a third that I actually like. Occasional rain might help CLEAN the condenser coils...but then it might also help corrode them. And then there's the thought of rain onto an electrical compressor...scary.

Well, live and learn.

(Mine are through the wall with both input and outflow on the back. Not the most efficient but that's all you can do with a sleeve. but it's UNDER the windows rather than through them, a BIG plus.)

nyg,
See if you can find some white duct tape and cover the top louvres until you are certain it's safe.
Design engineers take all this into consideration when designing these units, for cooling air circulation and escape routing for condensating water build up NEVER cover any of the louvers they are there for a reason.
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote