View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #21  
crooner7
What is HD?

Default CCA versus copper

I wanted to jump in here. OK, I bought this surround system in a parking lot...no lectures, please...it was an impulse buy. Anyway, now that I 'own' it, I hooked it all up and it works pretty well, really, considering I find NOTHING about this system (Xtreme XD=350) I didn't pay a lot for it, so I won't have to mortgage the farm, but I am wondering if I can improve the sound with better speaker wires. The furnished wires are 18 AWG. I was reading about which wires to use here, and went to the great link on wire size versus run, etc. Then, as I read on, the article states that the recommendations are based on pure copper wire. It further stated that the CCA wire would be about 61% less conductivity.

According to their chart, I could use 18AWG for my longest run of about 25 ft, but translating that to using CCA makes me go, huh?

I am, by no means, any kind of expert, nor could I hear subtle differences....however, I WOULD like to maximize the performance and if 20 bucks of wire would make any kind of difference, then I want to do it.

The box this system came in advertised 2500 total system power. The enclosed manual says the speakers are 12W (80W subwoofer) peak. OK, quit laughing.....remember, I am old and as cantankerous as Clint Eastwood in Gran Turino. And, about as savvy as most 66 year old dudes.
crooner7 is offline   Reply With Quote