View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #2027  
Kosty
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Huh? They had no choice really. Imagine a word where BD layers only played BD discs. BD would likely be dead and we would be enjoying HD DVD right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombsnizzle View Post
lol.

You just can't get over it.
Seriously. Wow.

I never will regret buying my HD DVD hardware and movies and enjoying them to this day, but I think I've long ago accepted that Blu-ray was the better option despite my enthusiastic support for HD DVD over Blu-ray back in the day.

Comments like that really kinda make it seem that a lot your current skepticism against Blu-ray comes from your team losing the format war four years ago and its a continuation of a blood feud or something against Blu-ray that started during the format war days..

I do agree that it was essential that both HD DVD and Blu-ray offer playback of DVD so it was never an option for them to do without. That's also sustaining to a degree the DVD sales and rental streams as well as Blu-ray players are DVD players too.

Personally, I think that HD DVD would have even a harder time today making a case against streaming and Netflix and cheap DVD rentals and 3D on HD DVD would have been more difficult as well. I think Blu-ray is doing better now than HD DVD would have done. Blu-ray certainly exceeded by 4Q 2010 any projections for HD DVD that the HD DVD proponents ever had and I don't see how HD DVD would have done any better since than Blu-ray has done.
Kosty is offline   Reply With Quote