View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #1  
d6500k
ISF Technician

Default Plasma myths and legends

While I do not wish to start a firestorm here I feel the time has come to point out that there are a few urban legends out there regarding the need to "age the phosphors" on your new plasma panel.

Not one manufacturer/or their engineers, recommend any "procedure" to speed up the aging process.

While they do recommend using less than full throttle with regards to light output, there is no need to spend hours running the display running "slides" of different hues.

If you are the owner of a new plasma, turn down the contrast/picture to a point where the the display is capable of rendering a nice but not overly bright image in a semi darkened room. It would be a good idea at this point to also set the black levels at this time.

Watch a variety of programming. If you are only going to game with the display, you might consider an LCD unit as these will have brighter output of light. Their downside is their inability to get very dark, but the times are changing and even modest led lit lcd's can plumb astonishing black levels today. Still, plasma for the most part can go darker in real world situations and are preferred by those seeking a theater quality experience.

Also regarding plasma models, you will notice many have "screen saver" protocols that automatically inhibit long term static images by wiping the image or scrolling after just a few minutes. These built in systems are perfect for the elimination of any slight image retention from tickers or station bugs. The upside is you get some tunes from any of a half dozen apps while the display is taking care of itself.

In conclusion, some empirical data from my own testing.

I bought two panels from a manufacturer just about two years ago. One got the slide protocol, the other was used normally right from the box. Both displays were calibrated to ISF/smpte standards and I realize this might cause some eyebrows to furl. The calibration to d65 did not affect the test IMO, but the accurately set up black and white levels may have. Since calibration of the black/white levels can be done by anyone with a DVD player, the assumption could be made that it should be done if possible.

The results from current Calibrations and measurements show no appreciable difference from baseline data gathered when new. Even the color points rgbycm have not diminished in intensity after two thousand + hours on both displays.

Since the displays in question are of a popular make I have also calibrated dozens of like machines in the field, some of which had been slided. Those that the owners had said they had "broken-in" their tv's still measured very nearly the same as my own units.

Enjoy your new plasma right from the beginning. Turn it down a bit and again, vary the viewing.

Doug k
d6500k is offline   Reply With Quote