High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Programming Providers > Verizon FiOS
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Verizon FiOS Discuss and learn about Verizon FiOS - fiber optic HDTV. RSS - Verizon FiOS

FiOS Cable Card

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8
Unhappy FiOS Cable Card

A few weeks ago I posted a question about Verizon cable cards. Todat I got my answer from a service technician. The FiOS cablecard is a multi-streamcard. Despite assurance from Sony tech support that the card would work on my Sony Grand Wega, it will not. The KDF50WE655 will only accept a single-stream card. The technician called Sony today and they confirmed this fact. There is no firmware update. There is no likelihood this will change in near future. So I'm stuck with the box. Built in obsolescence!
LJWECOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Shark2k's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: West Orange, NJ
Age: 28
Posts: 834
Default

I'm not an expert on this (as we only use the STB's) but I am pretty sure this is a single stream card. Verizon has two different cards, the S card and the M card. I've read many posts where people who have Tivo needed to get two S cards for it to work probably (is that correct for the people that have Tivo?). Point of all that is I'm assuming the S stands for single stream and therefore you should be able to get a cable card for you TV, you just won't get VOD and widgets.

-Shark2k
Shark2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
JPL
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 2,193
Default

What he's saying is that only the S card will work with his TV. He got an M card (multi-stream) from Verizon but it wouldn't work on his TV because the firmware on his TV can't handle the card. That's just beyond bizarre. The TV should be able to work with either the S or the M card. That's a real problem because the S cards are being phased out - it floors me that Sony doesn't have a firmware update to be able to handle the M card.

But Shark's right - can't you get an S card from Verizon? I'm surprised if you can't. They've been slower than other providers at phasing out the S card.
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8
Default

Thanks. I'll ask Verizon for an "S", but I suspect the answer is NO.

I just got a reply back from SONY, acknowledging the fact that the multi-stream card won't work. They said they have no firmware update and don't plan to build one. In other words, "tough s***".
LJWECOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,284
Default

What can you say, it's a Sony!
__________________
It's always time for pie
Live everyday as if it was your last and plan on living forever...
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
He who hesitates is lost
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 363
Default

LJWECOC, I have a panasonic plasma tv, and I recently switched from Comcast to Verizon. I have asked them to bring out a cable card (installation first week in January). Thanks for your input, I'll ask them about the S vs. M cards.

I'm also contacting Panasonic to see about getting that firmware update.
jmcohen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #7
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJWECOC View Post
A few weeks ago I posted a question about Verizon cable cards. Todat I got my answer from a service technician. The FiOS cablecard is a multi-streamcard. Despite assurance from Sony tech support that the card would work on my Sony Grand Wega, it will not. The KDF50WE655 will only accept a single-stream card. The technician called Sony today and they confirmed this fact. There is no firmware update. There is no likelihood this will change in near future. So I'm stuck with the box. Built in obsolescence!
I've heard of this in the past and would have thought Sony would have done something to fix the problem, but they've lost their touch in dealing with customers.

Many Vz areas are still using "S" cards only and there are people in those areas who would kill for "M" cards (Tivo HD users come to mind) since they pay for only one card if they have the "M" card. I would think VZ could be a little accommodating and find you the card you need. Good luck!
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
He who hesitates is lost
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 363
Default

update on this:
the verizon technician came out and installed the card successfully. the card is an "M" card, so I cannot use on demand. However, I can still access all of the regular channels (including HD) on my panasonic remote control. the technician said that b/c my tv has a QAM tuner, it should be able to utilize the "M" card.

keep in mind that this is a panasonic veira 42" plasma EDTV (not HD). however, I still get the HD channels, and they are as crisp as ever.

Last edited by jmcohen23; 01-07-2009 at 03:50 PM. Reason: one additional update: PIP does not work.
jmcohen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1
Default Another M Card Question

Today, I got an M Card installed in my Pioneer Plasma TV. It hangs cleanly on my wall (no STB required) so whats why I picked it. I previously had an S Card, but it would occasionally lose it's brain, so I wanted it replaced. With M Card, I assumed that along with it, I'd be able to use the FiOS remote and access the FiOS Guide (instead of the "TV Guide" service). I also thought that it meant that I could access PPV since it's Multi-stream. Was I mistaken?
ryeman0127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
JPL
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 2,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman0127 View Post
Today, I got an M Card installed in my Pioneer Plasma TV. It hangs cleanly on my wall (no STB required) so whats why I picked it. I previously had an S Card, but it would occasionally lose it's brain, so I wanted it replaced. With M Card, I assumed that along with it, I'd be able to use the FiOS remote and access the FiOS Guide (instead of the "TV Guide" service). I also thought that it meant that I could access PPV since it's Multi-stream. Was I mistaken?
Yeah, you were. With the cable cards, you'll use whatever guide data is available to your TV. As for PPV, you should be able to access that, but you'd have to call them to order (or you can do it on their website). VOD, I would think, you wouldn't be able to do. And by multi-stream, I take that to mean the multi-room feed off your DVR? If so, then no, you wouldn't be able to do that with the cable card either. The card just allows your TV to decrypt the signal - that's all.

The only real difference between the S and the M cards is that the S only provides a single stream at a time, but the M card can handle up to, I think, 8, which makes them nicer for multi-tuner devices like DVRs. Since a Tivo would have 2 tuners, you'd either need 2 S cards or 1 M card to receive all the channels on both tuners, e.g.
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
Default

You need a build-in QAM tuner to connect directly to the FIOS cable. QAM stands for "quadrature amplitude modulation". Qam is the format by which digital cable channels are encoded and transmitted by the cable companies. If your TV does not have a build-in QAM tuner, you will need to rent the box from Verizon.

Tritan
Tritan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #12
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJWECOC View Post
A few weeks ago I posted a question about Verizon cable cards. Todat I got my answer from a service technician. The FiOS cablecard is a multi-streamcard. Despite assurance from Sony tech support that the card would work on my Sony Grand Wega, it will not. The KDF50WE655 will only accept a single-stream card. The technician called Sony today and they confirmed this fact. There is no firmware update. There is no likelihood this will change in near future. So I'm stuck with the box. Built in obsolescence!
Your TV need a build-in QAM tuner to connect directly to FIOS cable. QAM stands for "quadrature amplitude modulation". Qam is the format by which digital cable channels are encoded and transmitted by the cable companies. If your TV does not have a build-in QAM tuner, you TV can not convert the FIOS signal to display on TV screen. Verizon may already had the firmware to convert its signal, but they do not want to give it away. They want you to rent the box from them.

Tritan
Tritan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
He who hesitates is lost
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan View Post
Your TV need a build-in QAM tuner to connect directly to FIOS cable. QAM stands for "quadrature amplitude modulation". Qam is the format by which digital cable channels are encoded and transmitted by the cable companies. If your TV does not have a build-in QAM tuner, you TV can not convert the FIOS signal to display on TV screen. Verizon may already had the firmware to convert its signal, but they do not want to give it away. They want you to rent the box from them.

Tritan
that's mostly true, as Verizon/Comcast do not really advertise the cable cards. But in any event, you still have to rent the cable card from verizon ($4/month). Comcast, last time I checked, does not charge a rental price.
__________________
"A nickle just ain't worth a dime anymore."
-- Yogi Berra
jmcohen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #14
My LCD is High Def.
 
Jator's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcohen23 View Post
that's mostly true, as Verizon/Comcast do not really advertise the cable cards. But in any event, you still have to rent the cable card from verizon ($4/month). Comcast, last time I checked, does not charge a rental price.
In my market (Harrisburg, PA), the first card is free, $2.00 thereafter for each card. However, for any box you have (SD, HD, or Card) after the first box, it's $8.95 per box. Basically it's a line charge, though they say it's not. So a second cable card would actually cost me $10.95 a month, whereas Veriozon it's just $2.99 and that's it.
Jator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Programming Providers > Verizon FiOS
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to FiOS Cable Card
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Verizon Fios cable gem1976 Verizon FiOS 14 07-10-2009 06:16 PM
Many Questions about FIOS Groz Verizon FiOS 20 05-05-2009 06:46 PM
Worst experience with Fios/Verizon sschantz Verizon FiOS 14 08-14-2006 06:56 AM
Verizon FiOS TV LJWECOC Verizon FiOS 24 05-22-2006 08:26 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:58 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum